Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,641,804 Views | 62609 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by SoTxAg
Hudson2508
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Friend of mine works for Oasis Brewing so he took me on a tour today. Got to taste their new DIPA which was great and it hits distribution this week. Got to see some of their new barrels as well. They had some from Four Roses and Balcones. Sounds like they are planning a BB Stout.

They are expanding as well since they are starting to see more demand after the success of MetaModern. Pretty cool, hope they continue to grow.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I've had their Luchesa lager only, what notable offerings do they have? MettaModern a tough find?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
So..... I'll be moving to Houston from Portland in March. Any particular websites/subreddits/twitter accounts etc. recommended to get in tune with the local beer scene?

What part of town? HEB Bunker Hill usually has some good stuff coming in.

Petrol Station and Hay Merchant are pretty good craft beer bars, too.

I'll be working pretty close to NASA. Haven't started the housing search in earnest yet, but I want to avoid having much of a commute.

Nobi Public House is a solid beer bar/Vietnamese fusion restaurant right on NASA Rd 1. The same people run a Shell gas station (Blackhawk Shell) on NASA Rd 1 (which is also FM 528) that looks like a small corner store but has a ridiculous selection of beer. They're @CornerFoodMart on Twitter.
Hudson2508
AG
MettaModern should be easy to find in the major Texas markets. It's by far my favorite of theirs. The Lake monster DIPA is one I would seek out as well. The others are hit or miss for me but their London Homesick Blues won a Gold medal at GABF.
jah003
S
quote:
The Lake monster DIPA is one I would seek out as well.

FWIW Lake Monster is a wine barrel aged Baltic Porter... And quite tasty.
Hudson2508
AG
Yeah the Lake Monster DIPA they are releasing is Lake Monster Batch 3. The Porter was Batch 1 I believe. To save costs they use the same can for different styles of beer and call it the same name with a new batch number. Kind of strange but works for them.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
quote:
The Lake monster DIPA is one I would seek out as well.

FWIW Lake Monster is a wine barrel aged Baltic Porter... And quite tasty.

Sounds good to me.
Jock 07
AG
So my wife claims I have a problem.

No Bat Soup For You
AG
I have a can of that Pearl with the A&M schedule on it too.
La Fours
AG
That's not a problem. It's the sign of a productive hobby.
jah003
S
quote:
Yeah the Lake Monster DIPA they are releasing is Lake Monster Batch 3. The Porter was Batch 1 I believe. To save costs they use the same can for different styles of beer and call it the same name with a new batch number. Kind of strange but works for them.

Jock 07
AG
Concur
NColoradoAG
quote:

It's only a problem if you just take pictures and stare at your beer.
Jock 07
AG
The wife made me move it all down to the basement from the pantry this weekend. She didn't realize how much I had. I have somewhat of a mental block as I want to from a beer but then I know I won't have it anymore. Vicious cycle
dave99ag
AG
When I look into my beer closet, I don't think I have a drinking problem. I have a collecting problem.
62strat
AG
Dave nailed it. I drink about 2 bombers a month. But I buy about 4. I have some in there I don't even want to drink because I've looked at them for so long I'm used to them being where they are.
62strat
AG
Made quite a haul today.

Picked up an almanac peach de bretaville and a truthful statement (woodford reserve barrel aged stout sour with cherries), a paradox skully 35 (sour with plums), 2 dogfish heads higher math (17% chocolate cherry sours), an espresso oak aged yeti, and a 2015 abyss.
dixie whiskey
AG
doing the odell friek again tonight. been on a cascade kick lately (semi-occasional consumption, I'd have to sell my car to afford them nightly), but friek is a nice alternative that's a bit more cost effective. speaking of cascade, while I wish they didn't cost a small fortune, there's nothing I've found of similar style that I enjoy quite as much as the blackcap raspberry. it's just perfect insofar as my expectations of a beer like that go (haven't been fortunate enough to try the jester king raspberry sours). strawberry is nice, but the raspberry is head and shoulders better imo. really looking forward to more of their beers hitting the tx market. and I'm definitely open to suggestions on alternatives to a $28 bottle of cascade that arent crazy difficult to track down in Houston
AggieStout
AG
quote:

This is very inspirational and what I will strive for one day. For some reason I did not know I could do this.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Since both of my bottles of Bourbon County Barleywine and my bottle of Coffee Stout were infected I called Goose Island to get my refund today. Took about 10 minutes (about 5 of that on hold) and was pretty painless. They asked for purchase location, price, and the bottle date and batch code from the bottles. Said I should expect a check in 2-3 weeks and they took my shirt size for a T-shirt as well. Pretty good customer service experience.

They didn't require any proof of purchase, so hopefully people aren't abusing the system.
La Fours
AG
I'm guessing the batch number on the bottle is unique to each bottle. I would assume some of the numbers refer to the tank that beer was in for bottling, some to the bottling line the bottle came off of, and some to be the specific number that bottle was off the line.

That's probably why they don't ask for any other proof of purchase. They would know if you were making crap up.
Jason_Ag98
AG
It's only a four-digit number so it can't be unique to each bottle.
La Fours
AG
Lol, oops. Ok.
62strat
AG
Still could easily be an internal code. batch number, etc. I doubt a company that small would have individual bottle numbers anyway.
Jason_Ag98
AG
From what I've seen they'll basically take your word for it (even without the bottle codes) if your claim is less than $100. That's pretty cool I think - I guess maybe that A-B money backing them up helps.
army01
AG
I tried a two weeks ago and couldn't get through. I'll try it again this week.
army01
AG
quote:
Since both of my bottles of Bourbon County Barleywine and my bottle of Coffee Stout were infected I called Goose Island to get my refund today. Took about 10 minutes (about 5 of that on hold) and was pretty painless. They asked for purchase location, price, and the bottle date and batch code from the bottles. Said I should expect a check in 2-3 weeks and they took my shirt size for a T-shirt as well. Pretty good customer service experience.

They didn't require any proof of purchase, so hopefully people aren't abusing the system.

93 bucks little man. Put that **** in my hands. If that money dosent show me then you'll owe me owe me owe. My jungle love. Yea, owee owee owee ow. I think I wanna know ya know ya.

steve00
AG

Nice variety tonight. For me, the Nocturn is my favorite of the JKs that I've had. Beats the Atrial Rubicite easily.
dixie whiskey
AG
one day I'm gonna get my hands on some nocturn or rubicite. in the mean time, its a black crack kinda night.
dave99ag
AG
Nice to see a Jay & Silent Bob reference.
AgEng06
AG
quote:
Nice to see a Jay & Silent Bob reference.

Agree
La Fours
AG
BSD
AG
I feel good today, Silent Bob, we're gonna get some Goose Island money refunded, then you know what we're going to do? We're gonna go to that party, we're gonna get some poossy, and I'm gonna feck this biyatch, I'll feck this biyatch, I'll feck ANYTHING THAT MOVES!
dave99ag
AG
NColoradoAG
What the **** is the internet?
First Page Last Page
Page 833 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.