Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,655,099 Views | 62636 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by maca1028
Hub05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just bought my first pumpkinator. I'm intrigued to see if it lives up to the neckbeard hype.
La Fours
AG
Holleman HEB has Stone Enjoy By bombers on sale for half price.
Whoop04
Love that they have to put them on sale. Hopefully they start giving them away on nov 1 since they will be aweful by then.
Hudson2508
AG
Local bottle shop happened to have a Prarie cellar release today when I stopped by. Picked up an Apple Brandy Noir and a Wine Barrel Noir. Heard good things about both of them.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Apple Brandy Barrel
Jason_Ag98
AG
Picked up some Backwoods *******, a Prairie Vanilla Noir, and a Pumpkinator today - not a bad haul.
La Fours
AG
Turfman brought some goodies back from his trip to STL and bestowed some beer gifts upon me.

I've already crushed the IPA's. Bells Two Hearted is amazing as always. And the other two from STL breweries were fantastic. Snapper was dope AF. Fruity and dank. Resurrected was amazing as well. Love mosaic hops. Might be my favorite hop variety at the moment.

Can't wait to try the Death By Coconut and of course the Side Project.

Thank you so much Turfman. Super generous and I am immensely grateful. I owe you some very big beer karma.
turfman80
AG
Glad you enjoyed them!
NoneGiven
AG
Anything worth hunting down while in the Alexandria area?
Jock 07
AG
23 days old, probably a drain pour.

Chipotlemonger
AG
I'm doing a study on month+ old beer, specifically IPA's.

Just PM me for info
Jock 07
AG
preciate the offer but I think I'll hold on to it. Decided to open a yellow rose this evening.
62strat
AG
quote:

http://i.imgur.com/6PZPhr6.jpg
I drank a Pliny that was 12+ months old. It tasted just the same.
La Fours
AG
quote:
quote:

Well obviously we can't trust your judgement any more on beer. Your pallet is clearly inferior and not up to our standards.

NColoradoAG
quote:
quote:

army01
AG
quote:

Not a drain pour, but likely the perfect age to put your **** in it.
La Fours
AG
Looks like Dissident will be a yearly release.. maybe... at least 2 consecutive years
Jason_Ag98
AG
Nice! In related news, I see that my 2014 bottle just passed the 'best after' date of 10/27. Looking forward to trying it for the first time sometime soon.
La Fours
AG
I decided not to wait that long and drank mine a couple months ago. It was really good.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Heading up to DFW for the first time in a few years and need a few recommendations, please:

1. Place with good food and plenty of local beer worth trying to watch the Aggie game tomorrow morning when I first arrive.

2. Good bottle shop. I assume I'll look for a Total Wine if no one knows anything better. They were clutch when I lived in CA

3. Local brewery worth visiting, open Saturday afternoons in case I need to kill more time before the ceremony at 6 in Grapevine.

Thanks in advance, y'all.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Anybody have experience with FW Velvet Merkins, Stone Southern charred and Rye Double Bas tard?

My Burleson HEB guy is holding a bottle of each for me and I've never had any of them.
corndog04
AG
quote:
Looks like Dissident will be a yearly release.. maybe... at least 2 consecutive years

Yeah, they announced back in 2014 that it was going to go annual.

On a sad side note, Deschutes never called me back on my app for an engineering job they had.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Are you staying in Grapevine?

As far as bottle shops, Hall's Grocery in Colleyville probably has best beer selection near there.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/halls-grocery-colleyville
DallasAggie2012
AG
Velvet Merkin is a delicious beer. It is pretty great fresh as its a little thinner than Parabola or the Anniversary ones. I'm jealous you were able to get a bottle of the Southern Charred. I heard that only like 12 or so cases made it into DFW apparently. It is supposedly pretty scarce even at the brewery from what I've heard, but everyone has said it is tasty. I haven't heard anything about or tried Double Bas tard in the Rye though.
La Fours
AG
Velvet Merkin is legit. Never had the Southern Charred. As for any ba$#urd beer or variant, I am not a fan. Not a fan of the regular, not a fan of the variants. But that's just me.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
I don't like arrogant ******* either but the description says it's a strong ale/borderline barleywine. I've never had a double ******* or variant but barleywine is one of my favorite styles.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
I don't like arrogant ******* either but the description says it's a strong ale/borderline barleywine. I've never had a double ******* or variant but barleywine is one of my favorite styles.
How much was he charging for the Double in the Rye?

I told my wife to pick some up on her way home since she passes our beer store... it was close to $20! For a 500 mL!
steve00
AG
I really like Southern Charred. I only have one left from the case I bought last year, so I'm heading out to buy some 2015 this afternoon.

Last year's ******* in the Rye was good, but not great. Now that it uses Double *******, I'm expecting it to be as good as Southern Charred, since they will be the same base, just with different whiskey barrel types.
cc10106
Collective Brewing Project in Fort Worth is definitely worth a visit if you have the time. Lots of variety and funky/sour BA beers if that's what you're into. Their anniversary party was last weekend, so they may still have stuff left over, along with the sour red bottles they released. Won't be long before the hype train takes over.
big-ag
AG
quote:
Heading up to DFW for the first time in a few years and need a few recommendations, please:

1. Place with good food and plenty of local beer worth trying to watch the Aggie game tomorrow morning when I first arrive.

2. Good bottle shop. I assume I'll look for a Total Wine if no one knows anything better. They were clutch when I lived in CA

3. Local brewery worth visiting, open Saturday afternoons in case I need to kill more time before the ceremony at 6 in Grapevine.

Thanks in advance, y'all.
I'm a big fan of Community. The Mosaic IPA is probably my favorite DFW beer, plus they have a good ESB (Public Ale) and RIS (Legion). They usually have food trucks on Saturdays.
NColoradoAG
quote:
Collective Brewing Project in Fort Worth is definitely worth a visit if you have the time. Lots of variety and funky/sour BA beers if that's what you're into. Their anniversary party was last weekend, so they may still have stuff left over, along with the sour red bottles they released. Won't be long before the hype train takes over.
I had their galaxy/mosaic IPA at Little Red Wasp when I was in town two weeks ago and it was damn good.
army01
AG
quote:
Velvet Merkin is a delicious beer. It is pretty great fresh as its a little thinner than Parabola or the Anniversary ones. I'm jealous you were able to get a bottle of the Southern Charred. I heard that only like 12 or so cases made it into DFW apparently. It is supposedly pretty scarce even at the brewery from what I've heard, but everyone has said it is tasty. I haven't heard anything about or tried Double Bas tard in the Rye though.
Head over to Specs or total on Hulen. They had Southern Charred this afternoon.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Funk, sour, Fort Worth? I'm just in Dallas?

Found something I need to make a little day trip for, thanks!
corndog04
AG
Just in case anyone is in Portland this weekend, go to Horse Brass on Sunday. Amongst other delicacies, they are tapping:

Boneyard Notorious IIIPA
Deschutes Abyss (2009)
RRBC Supplication, Temptation, Consecration
maca1028
Nice lineup, I can't wait to get back to Portland.
First Page Last Page
Page 773 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.