Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,568,819 Views | 62489 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by La Fours
GoAgs92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Went to the Bugs and Brews and BBQ fest in Tomball last weekend, supposedly Yellow Rose and some other local breweries were handing out samples....

However, Yellow Rose was not there! and Karbach had run out of beer by the time I got there? Not sure what happened, so I tried some beers I've never had from other breweries....

Had the Hefe and Pilsner from Fire Ant Brewing, the Walloon from Southern Star (never tried before due to my aversion to Saisons, they are OK but i'll spend my money elsewhere), and the 11 below Color Blind Red IPA.

Also had the No Label El Hefe and Pale Horse which I've had many times, they were actually pouring full beers, which was nice because I'm cheap.

Fire Ant is some new brewpub in Tomball and the Pilsner was really good, the Hefe was so so and was no where near as good as the No Label El Hefe or Karbach Weiss Versa.

The Walloon was a saison and tasted like saison, if you like Saisons give it a whirl, I don't so 2 ounces was enough.

The 11 below Color Blind Red IPA pretty much sucked, I don't like IPAs that are bitter without any good flavor to back it up (see no label Mint IPA as a defunct example). It's like chicken wings that are too hot for the sake of being hot so you can win a stupid t-shirt, "I ate six ass blasters in 3 minutes and I'll I got was this stupid T-Shirt". They said the IBU was only 65 which was surprising since all I could taste was bitter...I was told there was a smooth malty finish by the server but she was wrong.

txag2008
AG
quote:
Went to the Bugs and Brews and BBQ fest in Tomball last weekend, supposedly Yellow Rose and some other local breweries were handing out samples....

However, Yellow Rose was not there!
Keep in mind Yellow Rose isn't a brewery, it's a beer that's made by Lone Pint Brewery.
Jock 07
AG
Bama game time announced: 230 CBS. Anyone still up for another bottle share?
GoAgs92
AG
True, but regardless they were not there.

I was interested in trying some of their other beers....and getting some yellow rose doesn't hurt.
MathNewman06
AG
There is now a distillery in Houston called yellow rose, which may add to the confusion of the previous posts.
BSD
AG
quote:
Bama game time announced: 230 CBS. Anyone still up for another bottle share?
I should be able to make it.
DallasAggie2012
AG
I think I could make it out for a little while probably!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Had Deep Ellum Four Swords on draft Sunday. Supposedly it's being bottled, anyone able to find any yet? Would love to stash a bottle to see how it ages.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Or two***

From Deep Ellum:

"Availability: On draft at The Deep Ellum Taproom for a limited time and at these locations*:

Spec's Total Wine Central Market Whole Foods Lakewood Growler (Draft) Flying Saucer Addison (Draft) Truluck's Uptown (Now Serving)"

Have not seen at 2 WF locations. Haven't tried the liquor stores or Central Market yet.
ElectricAg13
AG
Are you looking for the Barrel Aged version of the Four Swords or just the original? I was at the Southlake Central Market yesterday and picked up a BA Four Swords. The guy told me that so far very few people had come by to ask for them so I'm assuming they have quite a few left. I didn't see the regular but to be honest I wasn't really looking either.

They also have some more FQ Temptress in case you were looking to pick something else up.

Also, anyone in the Houston or CS area been looking for one? (BA Four Swords or FQ Temptress. Not sure how far Deep Ellum distributes stuff like that.) I'll be down for the Bama game.
Robert C. Christian
AG
I would just take a look when you go. The regular Four Swords has never been hard to find and I see it on the shelf quite a bit. Went to Total Wine on 75 in Plano on Friday and saw bottles there.

Didn't know they had a BA version though, may have to pick one up.
La Fours
AG
The BA version is wine barrel. I hope some makes it way to College Station.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Thanks. Yes, looking for the BA Four Swords.

To Frio:
I'll take a look at Total Wine...work fairly close to it.
maca1028
Aurelian Lure batch 3 releasing Friday, looks like I picked a good weekend to go to the hill country.
Kyle98
AG
Midway Mart in Denton had a few BA Four Swords left, if you're in that area.
NColoradoAG
quote:
Aurelian Lure batch 3 releasing Friday, looks like I picked a good weekend to go to the hill country.

ISO
BSD
AG
I may go Saturday at some point.
maca1028
I'm sure I can make that happen
maca1028
We should be up there an hour or 2 after opening on Saturday.
Relampago
AG
Had a friend in Chicago that was able to bring me some of this back. I think it was well worth the 2 hours he spent looking for it.

BSD
AG
It may be closer to 3:00 by the time we get there. Im going to see my new puppy at the breeder at 1:00.
Chipotlemonger
AG
PSA: Yellow Rose bottles at Addison WF.
Kyle98
AG
quote:
Midway Mart had a bunch as well, along with some Jabberwocky.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
quote:
quote:

Jabberwocky and 667 are both better offerings from them in my opinion. Not to say that Yellow Rose isn't damned good, but I like both of those better.
Kyle98
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jabberwocky and 667 are both better offerings from them in my opinion. Not to say that Yellow Rose isn't damned good, but I like both of those better.

I do really like 667, but I still prefer Yellow Rose. Haven't had Jabberwocky yet.
cc10106
667 is good stuff, still need to try Jabberwocky.

Pretty, pretty stoked about this getting canned:

DallasAggie2012
AG
Yes! I'm glad Pale Mosaic finally made it into cans. Hopefully we see some up in Dallas very soon. Stuff was amazing when I tasted it at the brewery.
streetfighter2012
AG
Anyone else heading to the Brash event Saturday in Houston?
Jock 07
AG
Chipotlemonger
AG
Nice, I've really enjoyed the few To Ol beers that I've had.

Edit: TexAgs doesn't recognize the funky O.
jetch17
AG
quote:
Anyone else heading to the Brash event Saturday in Houston?
i wish, sounds fun as sh*t
Whoop04
I am in Chicago for a couple of days. Any must go breweries or must try beers?
Bmac04
AG
quote:
I am in Chicago for a couple of days. Any must go breweries or must try beers?
If you have a car you can make the 45 min drive to Three Floyds in Indiana. Around the city I would hit up Revolution, Half Acre, Goose Island Clybourn (maybe). Local Option is a great beer bar and Kuma's Corner is a good spot to get a burger and they always have a good tap list.
NoneGiven
AG
For a laugh
http://www.timeout.com/usa/bars/best-craft-beer-in-america?cmpid=NL_USA_100815
jh0400
AG
I'm actually looking forward to this. I had it on tap a while back and thought it was pretty good.

First Page Last Page
Page 760 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.