Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,643,030 Views | 62613 Replies | Last: 35 min ago by swampstander
Jason_Ag98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Breakside IPA tonight - right in my wheelhouse for an IPA. Really delicious. Wish I'd brought back more from Portland.
La Fours
AG
Dat Oberon is amazing. Love that beer.
Jock 07
AG
Any thoughts on a bottle share for football season this year?
Whoop04
quote:

What solid triple IPAs are our there? Had my 1st one the other night. Enjoyed it.

Stone Ruinten, Pliny the younger.

Good luck with the later. Frankly the label is a bit of a gimmick. I don't really distinguish between triple and double.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
quote:

What solid triple IPAs are our there? Had my 1st one the other night. Enjoyed it.

Frankly the label is a bit of a gimmick. I don't really distinguish between triple and double.

Concur
Chipotlemonger
AG
The Triple I had was She'Brew. Pretty good. And yes, I would've called it a double in a blind tasting. Didn't know if the triple was actually a difference or not, or rather the kind of thing y'all suggested: a gimmick.
maca1028
Enjoyed a ***** wagon at Nobi for lunch today then a few yellow roses at Boondoggles in Clear Lake tonight. Life is good.
cc10106
Just caught up on True Detective and drank a Lone Pint 667. Good fudge.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Frankly the label is a bit of a gimmick. I don't really distinguish between triple and double.

Concur

Yeah the whole Double/Triple IPA thing is about as meaningful as the difference between an Imperial and Double IPA. That said, I have seen a few of these "Triple IPAs" coming in at 10%+ ABV (Devil Dancer from Founders is like 12, RuinTen is 10+ I think), so I could see this becoming the unofficial standard for labeling IPAs that way. Anything between 8-9.9% could be fair game as IIPA, and anything below that as a regular American IPA. Not that I'm for placing restrictions on what can or can't be labeled what.
62strat
AG
To pick your post apart a bit, the term double ipa is more literally 'Double I' PA, or IIPA, which stands for Imperial india pale ale. They are just two different ways to say the same thing.
But triple ipa doesn't have this literal meaning. It's taking on the from of the Belgian nomenclature, dubbels and tripels. Those stem from the amount of malt used in the recipes. Dubbels were twice as much, tripels three times. Which of course makes its way full circle to what a double ipa (and by extension a triple ipa) actually are. Bigger versions of the style.

But double ipa is an acronym with a translation and is a dedicated style in the BJCP. As far as I know, triple ipa is not. (It wasn't in 2008 version.)

But that won't mean they can't make one. But I vote they make an imperial ipa the only bigger style with no limit on abv.

I mean what is dfh 120? A quintuple ipa?? I don't think so.
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
I mean what is dfh 120?
Awful
62strat
AG
Hah yeh I didn't care for a fresh one. I've got a 2 yr old one in the basement, may wait another year or so and see what it's done.
army01
AG
My vote for best newly packaged beer from Texas is Martin House Salty Lady. Love this ****!
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
My vote for best newly packaged beer from Texas is Martin House Salty Lady. Love this ****!

Had my first beer from them this weekend. Enjoyed it, have been putting off trying them out for too long. The Salty Lady a good Gose?
jetch17
AG
gordo97
army01
AG
quote:
quote:

Had my first beer from them this weekend. Enjoyed it, have been putting off trying them out for too long. The Salty Lady a good Gose?
I'm a big fan.
BSD
AG
I bet Jetch has been hammered for the last 72 hours straight. And that's ok.
BSD
AG
quote:
hopefully we can have some once it cools down. My old ass can't handle the heat anymore. I've got several bottles ready to go, though!
jetch17
AG
quote:
I bet Jetch has been hammered for the last 72 hours straight. And that's ok.
maca1028
quote:

I'm trying to get tickets to the Auburn game, if I do I'll bring a few bottles of something
Jock 07
AG
I'm planning on going to bama and either auburn or s carolina, not sure which yet.
NColoradoAG
I'm going to ASU, Ball State, Miss State, Auburn, and Alabama.

Tailgating location is TBD this year. We haven't decided if we will try to claim a new spot in Lot E, or just spend time at the house prior to the game.

It sounds like La Fours, Turfy, and I will be getting together on 9/6 if anyone else will be in CS and wants to hang out.
Out in Left Field
AG
Anyone know of some good beer places around Philadelphia. Specifically around Plymouth Meeting which is were I am for work.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I know it's too early but I love pumpkin.

AggieOO
For the JK fans, whip in has Sin frontera and miel.
jah003
S
Doesn't look like crowlers will be making their way back anytime soon...
TABC seems to think the lid is "permanent"...
Inspector Spacetime
AG
BBH conditioned with Madagascar/Mexican vanilla bean being premiered right now at Karbach restaurant and patio. I'll be giving the public tours then closing the bar the last couple hours of the night.
NColoradoAG
quote:
This logic makes very little sense.
army01
AG
quote:
If the lid is permanent, then it is a collector's item and not beer, no? Surely there is nothing wrong with an establishment selling collectibles.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
quote:
Makes perfect sense when you consider the entity implementing the policy.
maca1028
quote:
quote:
quote:
Makes perfect sense when you consider the entity implementing the policy.

This
BattleReady
Had my last Trout Slayer from Big Sky today AND found out there's another brewery/distillery being built in my home town. Our beer scene in Reno is growing up so fast!

My Dad and I are going to the Nevada game and have a tradition of trying out local beers at every road game we attend. Is New Republic any good? Failing that, where are the best beer drinking places (and beers) in and around College Station?
jh0400
AG
quote:
Had my last Trout Slayer from Big Sky today AND found out there's another brewery/distillery being built in my home town. Our beer scene in Reno is growing up so fast!

My Dad and I are going to the Nevada game and have a tradition of trying out local beers at every road game we attend. Is New Republic any good? Failing that, where are the best beer drinking places (and beers) in and around College Station?

I like the coffee porter at Blackwater Draw.
La Fours
AG
Blackwater Draw makes good beer. Plus they have other Texas craft beers on tap. Harvey Washbangers also carries lots of good craft beer. New Republic makes a pretty good Amber ale called Dammit Jim. Their double ipa is pretty good too.
First Page Last Page
Page 733 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.