Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,632,245 Views | 62598 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by txag2008
maca1028
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Congrats Hub
La Fours
AG
Congrats on the new house Hub. So does that mean yall are now back in Texas?
Jock 07
AG
quote:
We officially owe a bank a lot of money for a permanent storage location for my beer fridge. Celebrating the new house with my wifes favorite beer.

Only have had a taste at GABF last year but so damn good
Jock 07
Jock 07
AG
Being cutoff for a while, perhaps until my trip to Hawaii in September so decided to open this up tonight.

I actually really enjoyed it quite a bit. The sourness was probably the most subdued of any sour I've had in a while.
jah003
S
So, Jester King is filling 330ml bottles today (for the first time ever)... Word on the street is it's Atrial aged in Sherry barrels. This may explain why the Atrial yield was so low (2500 bottles).
Quincey P. Morris
AG
That would be interesting.
dave99ag
AG
I bet those bottles will cost as much as a 750mL too.
DallasAggie2012
AG
I was wondering what those bottles were. That would be a pretty cool variation on Atrial to try. I'm sure if that is true then it will be an absolute nightmare to get hands on one though.
SecoKid
AG
quote:
So, Jester King is filling 330ml bottles today (for the first time ever)... Word on the street is it's Atrial aged in Sherry barrels. This may explain why the Atrial yield was so low (2500 bottles).

Maybe, but I also read somewhere on BA where Jeff said they used a larger share of their aged base beer to make more Fen Tao and Aurelian Lure this year, which meant less AR.
Chipotlemonger
AG
We need to change the thread title to "Jester King and Sours"
jh0400
AG
quote:
We need to change the thread title to "Jester King, Sours, rare IPAs ,and barrel-aged stouts"

FIFY

I will say that the posters in this thread have stepped their game up considerably the past few years compared to the early posts.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Speaking of stepping one's game up, the Rahr Texas Red is one of the more unpleasant beers I've ever had. Replying to pic of it on page 3, along with a lot of other Rahr. That **** tastes like teriyaki water.

Is this what you meant by thread palette improvement?
army01
AG
quote:
Speaking of stepping one's game up, the Rahr Texas Red is one of the more unpleasant beers I've ever had. Replying to pic of it on page 3, along with a lot of other Rahr. That **** tastes like teriyaki water.

Is this what you meant by thread palette improvement?
I was supporting the local guy, but there is no Texas Red in those photos. The one Rahr I will stand behind is that 2010 BBAWW. That beer was amazing.

Seriously though, wow has the Texas scene changed in 3.5 years.
Chipotlemonger
AG
No worries man!

I think Rahr is gonna get left behind. There are a Few new breweries in the Metroplex opening up this summer, and I have reason to believe their initial offerings will be more hardened for competition than say a beer being released 5-10 years ago. Just a hunch.
army01
AG
Completely agree. Rahr has let Martin House come in and take over their backyard. No way they will be able to compete with other half way decent breweries. The local loyalty can only take them so far.
SecoKid
AG
Then let's get some non Jester King, sour,IIPA, BA stout discussion going.
Topic: what's your current favorite readily available canned beer that's 6% or less?
I've been drinking lots of Real Ale Gose and then some Freetail Bat outta Helles when I want a malty lager.
ElectricAg13
AG
Lately I've really enjoyed the Lakewood Hopochondria. Only 3.5%. The Community Razzy (5.5%) was alright but I think I like the original Witbier more and the raspberries in that threw me off. But still good!
DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:
Completely agree. Rahr has let Martin House come in and take over their backyard. No way they will be able to compete with other half way decent breweries. The local loyalty can only take them so far.
Agreed. Martin House, Revolver, and Panther Island all make drastically better beers than Rhar. Not to mention several Dallas breweries that have good representation in Fort Worth (Community, Peticolas, Lakewood, Deep Ellum, etc).

I think the analogy of Rhar being Fort Worth's Saint Arnolds is fair, albeit on a smaller / less impactful way. They were the first and only local craft beer for a while, which made them appealing. But their standard line up of beers has been left in the dust by the standard offerings from Karbach, Revolver, Lakewood, etc.

Both breweries still make some solid specialty beers but nothing from their main line up is very good, comparatively.
jh0400
AG
I've been drinking a lot of Karbach Staycation lately.
Jock 07
AG
Not that it really matters but I'd put Saint Arnold ahead of Rahr
DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:
Definitely agree. They just have some similarities in their respective local markets.
jwag
AG
FW folks, I don't know if it's been mentioned but Collective Brewery has an excellent sour, 'petite sour'. At $9.50 for a pint or $5 for a half pint, it's pricy but totally worth it. Reminds me of Prairie in a big way.
cc10106
I'd probably pick either Metamodern Session IPA by Oasis or Blood Orange Gose by Anderson Valley. Zoe is always a good choice as well.
txaggie05
AG
quote:
I'd probably pick either Metamodern Session IPA by Oasis or Blood Orange Gose by Anderson Valley. Zoe is always a good choice as well.

Totally agree with this
NoneGiven
AG
Love Zoe. Served it at my wedding; however, I had a bad batch a few weeks ago. All gushers!

Took the remaining 3 to the brewery for testing
62strat
AG
quote:
FW folks, I don't know if it's been mentioned but Collective Brewery has an excellent sour, 'petite sour'. At $9.50 for a pint or $5 for a half pint, it's pricy but totally worth it. Reminds me of Prairie in a big way.
crooked stave has a line of sours named petite sour... Hmm.
maca1028
quote:

Come on October Release!!!!
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:

I would too
Bmac04
AG
quote:
So is anyone going to JK then? I'll be heading there on Saturday.
I'll be there on Friday when they open if anyone wants to meet up.
jah003
S
quote:
quote:
So is anyone going to JK then? I'll be heading there on Saturday.
I'll be there on Friday when they open if anyone wants to meet up.

How long are you staying? Planning to get out there around 7:30 Friday...
Bmac04
AG
Wont be able to stay that long becasue we are driving back to dallas right after. Might stay until 7 or so?
Two Down
AG
quote:
A good start to Thursday. Cascade Brewing (@cascadebrewing) is now approved to sell in Texas.
It's official

https://twitter.com/andrewlschwab
Jock 07
AG
So who's looking at getting GABF tickets next week? I'm shooting for the Thursday session and maybe hang out up in Denver Fri & Sat for other festivities.
Hub05
AG
I will be back in TX next week. If anyone is in Tyler, send me a message and I will share some good beer. I consolidated my cellar to 14 cases of beer to be moved. In other words, there is a lot to share in Tyler or football tailgates.
First Page Last Page
Page 725 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.