Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,641,575 Views | 62609 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by SoTxAg
SecoKid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Time for a trip report. Had a blast in the Bay area and Napa. Didn't have time to make it too Toronado or Cellarmaker, but still had a great trip. Blind Pig IPAs at Chez Panisse was a great start. After that we went down to Santa Cruz. First night I had some Saint Archer Mosaic IPA and Imperial Biscotti Break I got af the whole foods there. The next day we went to SARA. The neckbeards were thick as it was a Saturday and their cellar club pick up was happening. Had a Saison Bernice and a Vaniila Joe, got a couple of Bright Sea Blondes to go and headed to the beach.

Next day we drove to Santa Rosa and got to RRBC just after opening. Waited 45 minutes in line and got the last table inside. Good thing, or the wife might have left me there and drove to Napa by herself if we had to wait any longer. Got the sampler and an extra pint of Pliny. I also really enjoyed Benediction. Got bottles to go and drove to Yountville.

Checked into Petit Logis ( thanks BSD!) and walked over to Bouchon. They were celebrating Bastille Day with lots of great food and drinks. We didn't partake, had reservations at Bouchon later, but it was still pretty fun. Caught a glimpse a Thomas Keller though. Then had an outstanding meal at Bouchon.

Went on a pretty good wine tour with Platypus the next day. Great trip, and came home with this haul.

Now I'm drinking some 13 day old Pliny.

La Fours
AG
13 days? Too old. Would not drink.

Looks like you had an awesome trip. I'm jealous. I hope to make it out here one day.

SecoKid
AG
I know right? Might as well drain pour the last 5. I should also mention that I had the best chicken and waffles I've ever had at the Brown Sugar Kitchen in West Oakland, which is a pretty rough area. My uncle took us there for brunch and there were literally 20 signs posted around that place that said "Do not feed the thieves! Don't leave valuables in the car". The waffles were made with cornmeal, which I've never had before.
La Fours
AG
Just send the remaining 5 to me. I'll dispose of them for you.
Bock for Breakfast
AG
SecoKid with the write-up, nicely done!
Jock 07
AG
Nice trip.
Birthday beer
BSD
AG
You baller ass mother ****er!
jah003
S
quote:
Jacobs box arrived today, just too lazy to post a pic. Two JK Foudreweizens, a Repose, and a Nocturn, along with a Mirror Mirror as an extra! Thank you very much!

Glad they made it! Thanks for helping me make some room.
army01
AG
quote:

Who's the hot?
army01
AG
Also...

Andrews to distribute Ninkasi
BSD
AG
A fitting beer haul for the evening (not pictured is some BCBS). Thanks, jah.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Have had figlet, can you give thoughts or a review on the cherry sour?
BSD
AG
quote:
quote:

Who's the hot?

Is that an Australian black truffle gnocchi dish?
BSD
AG
quote:

I've never had either. Just picked them up today while I was in Austin for dinner. Will report back...someday.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Since everyone else is posting...

Thanks again Jah, and for the bonus Deschutes of course too.

In other news, drank some F.U.N. 010 Bodacious at work earlier, so not a bad day at the office. First time since getting into sours and really enjoy the tart-ish version of Rodeo Clown from Merlot barrels
SecoKid
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Who's the hot?

That's the one that puts up with this beer obsession of mine.
BSD, I had gnocchi with vegetables (the close dish), My wife had ricotta and corn ravioli with yes, black Australian truffles shaved on top. It was pretty impressive the way they brought out a lock box with the truffles and shaved them table side. There was one that was bigger than my fist in the box!
army01
AG
quote:
quote:

I've never had either. Just picked them up today while I was in Austin for dinner. Will report back...someday.
TMBBQ Dinner at Franklin's?
army01
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Who's the hot?

That's the one that puts up with this beer obsession of mine.
BSD, I had gnocchi with vegetables (the close dish), My wife had ricotta and corn ravioli with yes, black Australian truffles shaved on top. It was pretty impressive the way they brought out a lock box with the truffles and shaved them table side. There was one that was bigger than my fist in the box!
Mine is getting better about it...and she really likes sours, but doesn't know how much I spend on them.

She still tries to reign me in from time to time. When that happens, I usually send her to Kendra Scott.
BSD
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes sir. Still full!
BSD
AG
quote:

It was pretty impressive the way they brought out a lock box with the truffles and shaved them table side. There was one that was bigger than my fist in the box!
I'm a huge truffle fan. I think I had a thread on it a while back. Watch out though. It starts with Australian Black, and then you'll want Black Perigord...and then you'll be strung out giving hand jobs for white Alba. It's a viscous downward spiral.

Looks like a great trip! I''m glad y'all had fun.
army01
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes sir. Still full!
Man...I am jealous of that one. Anything special you have to do to go to one of those? Because I'm not above it,m just want to know what is expected.
BSD
AG
I'm not proud of myself...
army01
AG
quote:
I'm not proud of myself...
Never be ashamed of putting Aaron Franklin's meat in your mouth. Daniel Vaughn's is a different story....
dave99ag
AG
Probably didn't even wear protection.

SecoKid
AG
quote:
Where is the best place around SeaWorld to grab some bottles/cans for the hotel?

I would recommend heading to the Gabriel's on 1604 and Blanco for the best selection in town. HEB at 1604 and Potranco used to have a decent selection, but I haven't been there in a while. HEB at 1604 and Bandera would be another option.
BSD
AG
quote:
Probably didn't even wear protection.

Nope. You cant taste anything with all that in the way.
dave99ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Where is the best place around SeaWorld to grab some bottles/cans for the hotel?

I would recommend heading to the Gabriel's on 1604 and Blanco for the best selection in town. HEB at 1604 and Potranco used to have a decent selection, but I haven't been there in a while. HEB at 1604 and Bandera would be another option.

I thought the Spec's on De Zavala had a pretty good selection as well. I'll have to check out Gabriel's the next time I'm in Boerne.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
At the Petrol Station. Eating a Rancor and drinking a Karbach Brett IPA.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I wasn't too impressed with the Brett. Had one at the brewery on Sunday.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Yall see that TABC is looking like they're outlawing the crowler due to them considering it repackaging?
cc10106
quote:
Did it take 40+ minutes to get your food? I'm a Petrol fan, but they are slow as molasses sometimes.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
I wasn't too impressed with the Brett. Had one at the brewery on Sunday.

Somewhat agree. I'd like a little more Brett
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Yall see that TABC is looking like they're outlawing the crowler due to them considering it repackaging?
**** that noise
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
quote:
quote:
Did it take 40+ minutes to get your food? I'm a Petrol fan, but they are slow as molasses sometimes.

Nah. They open at 2 so there's only a couple of people here. Took a couple of minutes.
NColoradoAG
quote:

That is the dumbest **** I've ever heard. Hooray government!
First Page Last Page
Page 719 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.