Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,568,752 Views | 62489 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by La Fours
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally got some Real Ale Gose. It's pretty solid.
NColoradoAG
A little Monday beer mail

turfman80
AG
Hey! I've got a GREAT idea!!! Bring the Le Fosse to the first game bottle share!!! Let's hear it for Adam!!! Hip Hip Hooray!
NColoradoAG
quote:
Hey! I've got a GREAT idea!!! Bring the Le Fosse to the first game bottle share!!! Let's hear it for Adam!!! Hip Hip Hooray!
1/2 ounce pours for everybody!

I highly doubt it makes it past the long weekend we're about to spend in Pagosa Springs.
La Fours
AG
quote:

This is a fantastic idea!!
Jock 07
AG
Speaking of Cantillon, just booked a trip to Hawaii and saw there's a couple of bars there with bottles. Assuming they're still there in September is 55 bucks for a bottle of 2011 Lou Pepe Gueuze or 45 bucks for a bottle of Saint Lamvinus reasonable for a bottle at a bar in Hawaii?
NColoradoAG
quote:
Speaking of Cantillon, just booked a trip to Hawaii and saw there's a couple of bars there with bottles. Assuming they're still there in September is 55 bucks for a bottle of 2011 Lou Pepe Gueuze or 45 bucks for a bottle of Saint Lamvinus reasonable for a bottle at a bar in Hawaii?

Those are decent prices. I'd go for the St Lam.
BSD
AG
Cantillon in Hawaii? I was doing it all wrong!!!!
NColoradoAG
Any of you guys want to trade for some Bruery and Casey? I'm looking for some Yellow Rose, BCBS/BCBCS, Vanilla Rye, fruited Jester King Wild ales, barrel aged prairie stuff. Looking to maybe swap if someone can do a bigger trade, ie a bottle or two of YR, a four pack of BCBS/BCBCS, and a 500 mL jester king or two. If you've got a Vanilla Rye, I will make it worth your while.

Stuff for trade:
Black Tuesday
Wineification II
Mocha Wednesday
Sucre and Bois variants (bourbon, rye whiskey, cognac, etc)
Filmishmish
Sans Pagaie
Wanderer Batch 2

Casey Saison
Casey East Bank

The Bruery bottles are $Texas but I'm not terribly concerned with lining up dollar for dollar.

PM me, or you can email adam dot klett at gmail

Jah003, you need not apply because I already have **** for you.
cc10106
Brash EZ-7 Pale kegs are being delivered to Houston bars today. Woo. Need to get a crowler from Petrol.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
Brash EZ-7 Pale kegs are being delivered to Houston bars today. Woo. Need to get a crowler from Petrol.
Is that stuff as good as it's been hyped up to be?
cc10106
quote:
quote:
Is that stuff as good as it's been hyped up to be?

I've only tried ***** Wagon and their double coffee porter and enjoyed both. Need to try more brews to see get a better idea, even though the hype train down here has been a little much. I think they'll end up somewhere between good and great, so score one for Houston either way. For a city of this size, we don't have enough good breweries. Not knocking the others, but more competition won't hurt.

MORE, dammit!
Broncos
Tried the Prairie Ales Somewhere Ale and it's a solid summer brew.
corndog04
AG
quote:
quote:
Evil twin Lil B & Crux Half hitch for me this evening.

Is half hitch the Pliny killer everyone says it is?

It's good, but not a Pliny killer. Not even the best DIPA out of Bend (Hop Venom is in a different league).

Overall though I really like Crux. Probably my favorite place to visit in Bend, particularly during the sunset happy hours.
Bmac04
AG
quote:
A little Monday beer mail

That Nectarine Premiere was awesome!
SecoKid
AG
I'm headed to California Bay area next week, with visits to SARA and Russian River already planned. My question is, are there any shelf beers worth seeking out? Or should I just load up my wine shipper with SARA and RRBC?
DallasAggie2012
AG
Corndog, any other recommendations for good places to hit in Bend/Portland? I've read most of the stuff from earlier pages on people's trips to Oregon, but I figured I would cover my bases since I'm heading up there at the end of July. I will have to see if I can find that Hop Venom there as well. Is Crux worth the trip if you only have 2-3 days in the Bend area over say like Deschutes?
dave99ag
AG
You can cover quite a few breweries in 2-3 days. Crux is damn good. Both are worth a visit.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I really wish I got more than two of these. Loved it last year but had to send my brother out there this year and he couldn't get anybody to go with him.

corndog04
AG
quote:
Corndog, any other recommendations for good places to hit in Bend/Portland? I've read most of the stuff from earlier pages on people's trips to Oregon, but I figured I would cover my bases since I'm heading up there at the end of July. I will have to see if I can find that Hop Venom there as well. Is Crux worth the trip if you only have 2-3 days in the Bend area over say like Deschutes?

As Dave mentioned, you could certainly do both. If you are planning on having more time in Portland though, you could defer to the Portland Deschutes. I actually prefer the Portland brew pub over the Bend one. It's unlikely that the Bend pub would have a can't-miss beer that the Portland pub wouldn't.

We like 10 Barrel a lot when in Bend as well, but they are smaller and get packed during normal lunch and dinner hours. 10 Barrel recently sold out to InBev, for some people that's a big enough deal they won't go there now.

GoodLife, Worthy, Silver Moon all make good beer but I haven't been to their pubs. Probably wouldn't go wrong with stopping by any of those. Bend Brewing is just "okay" to me. Boneyard makes the best beers in town (and in the state at least for IPAs), but not much set up for the public - just a pretty basic and small tap room / growler fill station.

For Portland stuff, see: http://texags.com/forums/54/topics/2621055/0

What dates are you here? Oregon Brewer's Festival is a blast (22-26 June)
DallasAggie2012
AG
Awesome! That is great info man. Much appreciated. I had heard good things about 10 Barrel. Good to know that the Portland Deschutes tap room is good as well so I can hit some of the smaller stuff in Bend.

Me and my wife will be up there July 24 - Aug 1, but a few of those days will be in Washington as well. I know for sure I'll be hitting De Garde and Logsdon, and I hope to hit Crux, Hair of the Dog, and Cascade as well, but we'll see how many I can pass by the wife.

Got any preference between Hair of the Dog and Cascade?
corndog04
AG
Cascade vs Hair of the Dog is tough, I love both. Very different styles. HOTD will have a pretty limited line up, they specialize in strong barrel aged beers but will probably have 1-2 lighter ones. Cascade is going to have a broader line-up, while they are known for their sours and that's the highlight they'll also have "normal" beers as well. Cascade will also have a decent selection of bottles to buy, if you are in to beer trading these typically do pretty well.

Is your wife a beer drinker? If so, how picky is she? I have to beg my wife to go to HOTD but Cascade is pretty much her favorite place on earth.

If you plan on going to OBF on that first weekend you are here, do yourself a favor and get there about 20 minutes before opening. Friday/Saturday are a ****show after about 4pm and Sunday is nuts all day. If you can get there at opening on Friday or Saturday you should have a decent period with short lines and shouldn't have a problem trying whatever you want. Stuff will start running out in the evenings and the lines get insane. We typically go on Wednesday night and Thursday morning.
jah003
S
So, I've spent the last 2 weeks in Minnesota/Wisconsin. Most of the trip was visiting family and hanging around the lake house, but there were a few beer related stops...

We spent the first day of our journey (we drove) stuck in the mother effin state of Oklahoma. A rockslide over the interstate and multiple flooded roads caused us to be there an extra 4 hours. Silver lining is we stopped in Topeka, KS and ate/drank at the Blind Tiger. A real solid brew pub if you ever find yourself in Topeka.

The next week or so was spent at a lake house in a small Minnesota town. Not much to report beer wise, but I attempted to drink my weight in Surly on the lake.

Finally headed over to Minneapolis and hit up the monstrosity that is Surly... This place is freaking giant. A few pics from that trip:

Went to a couple of other breweries in the area, but nothing really spectacular. The night ended drinking Nocturn out of the bottle (that calf shot doe...)

Last couple of days we spent in Madison, WI. The friend I stayed with is from Decorah, IA and obsessed with Toppling Goliath. So, that certainly worked out well for me. Pretty much drank TG bombers the whole time I was there...

Oh, and... I brought home some beer:

BSD
La Fours
AG
Nice JAH!! Dat Off Color... Damn.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Good to know. I will probably roll with Cacade then if I have to pick between the two. My wife is not much of a beer drinker, and if she does drink something, it is normally a fruitier, or tart type beer, which sounds more like Cascade really.

Good to know about the festival too. I really want to hit that up, and if I can make it, I will definitley follow that advice of getting there early to avoid some of the crowd.

Thanks for all the help man! Much appreciated.
BSD
AG
Personally, I would hit up Cascade and find HOTD on tap or in bottles somewhere. I think we tasted thru quite a few beers at Cascade and only 4 or 5 at HOTD...but I do like HOTD, don't get me wrong!
Bmac04
AG
Cascade
maca1028
All this Portland talk is giving me wood...flying up there a week from today!
DallasAggie2012
AG
I'm expecting a full beer report back Maca! Seriously awesome though. How long you up there?
La Fours
AG
quote:
All this Portland talk is giving me wood...flying up there a week from today!
Nice. I hate you.

I got a PM earlier today from a friend who's traveling to Sonoma for a wedding in a couple of weeks and was asking about Pliny and other RR beers. I'm extremely jealous.
maca1028
I'll be up there for a week, I plan on hitting de garde, cascade, HotD, and a couple of bottle shops. Maybe logsdon if we end up out that way.
Going a little off topic here but do either one of you Portland guys know how the salmon fishing has been lately?
cc10106
All these West Coast trips are making me jealous as well, but I have Wicked Weed and Asheville to look forward to later this month. If anyone has any other beer/food (bbq) recommendations for there or Greenville, SC, please share them.

I drank an Apple Brandy Noir last night, and it has improved nicely. It actually may take the top spot for me as far as Prairie goes.
dave99ag
AG
quote:
If anyone has any other beer/food (bbq) recommendations for there or Greenville, SC, please share them.

Obviously if you go to Wicked Weed, walk a few blocks to their Funkatorium. Then head nearby to Burial. Can't wait to get back to Asheville!
corndog04
AG
quote:
I'll be up there for a week, I plan on hitting de garde, cascade, HotD, and a couple of bottle shops. Maybe logsdon if we end up out that way.
Going a little off topic here but do either one of you Portland guys know how the salmon fishing has been lately?

You are in between runs, no real activity this part of the summer.
First Page Last Page
Page 712 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.