Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,675,461 Views | 62647 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by maca1028
aggielax48
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love the saison, definitely looking forward to other options from them.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Yeah I am hoping Rahr steps up their game. They have a very loyal following, which I didn't realize until going to their brewery again recently, and it was shockingly more packed than I have ever seen. They are looking to get into some more interesting barrel aging projects and some more interesting styles. I hope they start innovating soon because they are well behind quite a few DFW breweries at this point.

The new Lakewood taproom is awesome. A ton more space and outside seating has really helped out a lot. They also have about 16 taps now compared to about 6 in the previous taproom, so everything flows much more smoothly. It really is amazing how much they have grown already, and I hope they continue to grow because they really make a lot of great beers.
dave99ag
AG
We went to Lakewood a couple of weeks ago and they do have a nice taproom. Lots of space. Their old taproom definitely looked a bit more cramped.
Chipotlemonger
AG
They don't need to innovate, they need to fix their bottling quality and improve their every day Joe Schmo beers.

Maybe innovating will help them improve their normal quality.
BSD
AG
It's not often that a man turns 40. So what was my gift to myself? Some beer and wine of course. And while I couldn't have a balls out celebration like I had always envisioned, I decided to open up a nice beer or bottle of wine to share with my family on every day of our vacation. So here is my beer/wine journey these past few weeks. If you need a background musical accompaniment, sing the puppet sex scene music from Team America in your head.

First, let's start of with some bouncing titties, because, well, why the **** not?

The birthday haul that didn't make it to Hawaii:

This looks like a fun beer, Smore Money, Smore Problems

Framboos
Cantillon Classic
Cantillon St Lam
Westy 12

Cantillon Iris

Huna 15

Grrrz Kriek

Dark Lord '15
Dark Lord Bourbon Vanilla '15

And finally BA Dark Lord '15 with cherry and cacao nibs

The vacation celebration trip report.

Here is what I took to Kauai to enjoy with my family. I've always been a wine guy so I'll include a few pics of those as well, because they were ****ing phenomenal. But first we started the trip off at home with the 3 Floyds/ Dark Matter Dark Lord Day non-alcoholic coffee: Necromancer. It's labeled as a dark lord barrel aged unicorn blood espresso blend. It made my heart explode so I had to chew my way thru our taxi driver's chest cavity to get his and then took his soul to tip the curbside checkin people. It was metal as f*ck.

Day one on the beach, something I've been waiting to try for a few months now, SARA West Ashley.

For my actual birthday, as posted earlier, it was a 1975 Dom Perignon for breakfast...

...and a 375ml 1975 Chateau d'Yquem for dessert that night. Holy balls that THE perfect wine. Incredible! By far the best Sauternes I've ever enjoyed.

Up next, Fuzzy and King Sue on the patio.

After an ankle twisting hike in Waimea Canyon, I needed a drink at Kauai Island Brewery to wash some pain away. It's days like this that I'm pissed I can't get hammered.

Moving on...

And...

Against the backdrop of the mountains of north Kauai (which you can't see), and in honor of the duck I ran over the prior day (which didn't happen), we went with the classic...

The rest of the family arrived today so I broke out a classic:

No story here. No pretty background. No ****ing around. Just some straight up gangsta ****.

BVDL...Metal as ****:

So there's my birthday celebration drinking recap. Being in Kauai for two weeks with my family was a wonderful way to celebrate 40 years of life and I had a blast. I would rate the drinking a baller ass success...or what Bmac would call, "an average Tuesday night."
gordo97
AG
quote:
Ran across a bottle of BBA arrogant ******* recently for like 3 bucks and figured I'd give it a shot. I don't notice any kind of barrel or bourbon flavor on it at all. Pretty piss poor BBA beer

agreed....... i drank this last week and didn't taste any bourbon either
Jock 07
AG
quote:
It's not often that a man turns 40. So what was my gift to myself? Some beer and wine of course. And while I couldn't have a balls out celebration like I had always envisioned, I decided to open up a nice beer or bottle of wine to share with my family on every day of our vacation.

Can I become a member of your family?
Scriffer
AG
So how do I get my grubby mitts on some Lost Abbey stuff in Texas? I've had two in my life, and they were both spectacular.
Jock 07
AG
Also, forgot that I have had the 13 Rahr BBA winter warmer and thought it was pretty good
DallasAggie2012
AG
Yeah I completely agree with you and that's mostly what I was aiming to get at with innovation. They need to change or rework all their regular beers into something with some substance. I never buy their year round beers, and the only seasonal I buy is Iron Thistle occasionally. I mean even BBWW was such poor quality this year that I regretted buying it. It is kind of sad because they have a lot of history in helping DFW get started in craft beer, but they have most definitely been left behind by other breweries that brew beers with a lot more substance and flavor.

Also, Bravo BSD, Bravo! Congrats on 40 as well.
Jock 07
AG
Wish I could ball out like BSD next month for my 30th birthday next month.
62strat
AG
Look at saint Arnold. They remained the same from inception up until seems 4 years ago or so. Same lineup and seasonals and an occasional DR.
Then last couple years they started to develop, surely over the threat of all the new competition. Bishops barrels, barrel aged stuff, sour stuff.
Jock 07
AG
I'd argue St Aronld's standard stuff is better than Rahr's standard stuff
Whoop04
At societie. Had the pupil, widow, and apprentice so far.
BSD
AG
**** it. One more for the road...

Whoop04
Finished with the butcher at societie. Also had a lobster grilled cheese sandwich that changed my life. Headed to Green Flash now...
turfman80
AG
quote:
**** it. One more for the road...

Opinion of the West Ashley?
Echoes97
AG
For BSD...

Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
Hub05
AG
Whoop04
Finished up at green flash. First ristretto, some red saison that was just ok, and an alpine duet (fantastic!). Headed to modern times now. I think this is our last stop, so I am done pacing myself.
Whoop04
Nitro black house and hooloomooloo.
Headed to mike Hess.
MW13
AG
quote:
I'd argue St Aronld's standard stuff is better than Rahr's standard stuff

I would certainly agree with that.
Jock 07
AG
Finally got my hands on some cantillon. Iris keg kicked in 15 minutes
steve00
AG
quote:
So how do I get my grubby mitts on some Lost Abbey stuff in Texas? I've had two in my life, and they were both spectacular.

I can get the reasonably available stuff if you want to trade. I went by last weekend to get some Red Poppy bottles for home, and they accidentally sold me aged Red Poppy from last year. They were only supposed to be for on-premise, but since they already closed me out, they let me take them after paying the difference in cash.
FlyFish95
Ommegang Three Philosophers or GTFO.
maca1028
I hate you...
maca1028
Last CS, I either need to get back to Denver or get back on the trading block
Robert C. Christian
AG
BSD -

JFC!
La Fours
AG
I want to be BSD when I grow up.
La Fours
AG
Picked up some Real Ale Gose last night. It's really good. But less tart than most gose and less salt as well. But it's still damn good.
Chipotlemonger
AG
So an easier drinking gose for the masses you'd say?
Scriffer
AG
Just bought my first beer fridge from the Sears Scratch and Dent store. Delivery Wednesday.
BSD
AG
quote:
I want to be BSD when I grow up.

Don't grow up. Stay here for as long as you can.

dave99ag
AG
quote:
Just bought my first beer fridge from the Sears Scratch and Dent store. Delivery Wednesday.
What'd you end up with?
jah003
S
quote:

Get yourself a temp controller for that bad boy...
First Page Last Page
Page 704 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.