Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,655,258 Views | 62636 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by maca1028
turfman80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Two of the latest Side Projects arrived today!

La Fours
AG
Nice turfman. Off color makes good stuff. Haven't had a side project before. I'm sure it's going to be good. Is it a Berliner?
cpscAG06
AG
Henry I have a couple 120's that 3 years old
cpscAG06
AG
Sorry that I didnt get to meet any of you guys. The wife and I had to dine pretty quickly. The inlaws were watching our little guy.
turfman80
AG
quote:
Nice turfman. Off color makes good stuff. Haven't had a side project before. I'm sure it's going to be good. Is it a Berliner?
Saison. I'm beginning to like the style more and more
La Fours
AG
Nice. Sour saison or regular?
No Bat Soup For You
AG
quote:

I really liked it. A lot of people claim they don't but I think they are just being hipsters.

If 120 was readily available I would make it a regular beer for me.
cc10106
quote:
In line at Franklin Barbecue drinking some Hops & Grain stuff. Not a bad Thursday morning.
Living the dream! Looking forward to consuming copious amounts of bbq and beer in Austin next month.
turfman80
AG
quote:
Nice. Sour saison or regular?
I think it has a little sour and funk to it...maybe an in-between
Jock 07
AG
On the BBQ front, I hit up corkscrew today and was throughly impressed. Only waited bout 15 min as well
NColoradoAG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Slim chances, but is anyone going to JK this weekend who may also be in CS? I'm coming down for the basketball game and some buddies up here want that damn hay beer. They should move the airport closer to the brewery.

I think I might actually... Was thinking about skipping the release, but I'm intrigued. Going to CS Saturday to visit the in laws. I'll talk it over with the boss tonight and let you know...
My buddy and I might go up. Need to plan a meeting if we all make it. Weather is supposed to be bad though.

To be fair, if you've taken the tour at JK, and yes this is going to sound hippie-ish, their philosophy is that they want to cultivate a taste of the area around them and live off the land. I'm not a tree hugger by any stretch of the imagination, but it's pretty unique and the reason why they make things like "hay beer". The process they use with the coolship and the natural bacteria in the area is a pretty cool story.

I'm all set. Jah came through as usual.

I'm interested to try the beer. Biere de garde is one of my favorite styles, and just about every beer ive had from JK has been good to great. While using actual hay in the mash is unique, using aged hops, coolships, and local wild yeast and bacteria certainly isn't anything new.
Jock 07
AG
Could I still find a bottle of dissident here in Houston area?
NColoradoAG
quote:
Two of the latest Side Projects arrived today!

When should I stop by tomorrow night or Saturday?
La Fours
AG
Make it tomorrow so I can come. I have a Bruery The Wanderer I want to open and share.
army01
AG
quote:
quote:

I really liked it. A lot of people claim they don't but I think they are just being hipsters.

If 120 was readily available I would make it a regular beer for me.
I have one 2012 left. I'm not huge on it - much prefer 90 min - but I am firmly in the "it's more of a Barleywine than an IPA" camp.

you might try Hulen Specs. Zack might have some left.
Represent830
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Slim chances, but is anyone going to JK this weekend who may also be in CS? I'm coming down for the basketball game and some buddies up here want that damn hay beer. They should move the airport closer to the brewery.

I think I might actually... Was thinking about skipping the release, but I'm intrigued. Going to CS Saturday to visit the in laws. I'll talk it over with the boss tonight and let you know...
My buddy and I might go up. Need to plan a meeting if we all make it. Weather is supposed to be bad though.

To be fair, if you've taken the tour at JK, and yes this is going to sound hippie-ish, their philosophy is that they want to cultivate a taste of the area around them and live off the land. I'm not a tree hugger by any stretch of the imagination, but it's pretty unique and the reason why they make things like "hay beer". The process they use with the coolship and the natural bacteria in the area is a pretty cool story.

I'm all set. Jah came through as usual.

I'm interested to try the beer. Biere de garde is one of my favorite styles, and just about every beer ive had from JK has been good to great. While using actual hay in the mash is unique, using aged hops, coolships, and local wild yeast and bacteria certainly isn't anything new.
I know that, but it is unique to the area, which is mostly what I was getting at. And more of the "live off the land, unique to our area" type thing. So maybe I'm slightly a tree hugger. And I just like their beer.
dave99ag
AG
I'm waiting for JK to be bold enough to harvest Bluebonnets for a brew.
SecoKid
AG
quote:
I'm waiting for JK to be bold enough to harvest Bluebonnets for a brew.

I predict their next beer will contain hackberries harvested from racoon stool on their property. "Inspired by kopi luwak coffee beans and the local flora and fauna, nothing goes to waste here at Jester King".
Kyle98
AG
quote:
Where are you guys at? Me and Irish are by the bar. Missed the BBT but snagged some mole and French quarter. We're both in aggie pullovers.
Good to meet you guys last night. Hopefully next time, the place is less of a cluster-f, and we can grab one big table or something.

CPSC, sorry we missed you guys, too. It was nuts when we got there.
dave99ag
AG
Courtesy of AggieOO, Beer Cap Maps.

No Bat Soup For You
AG
Bought my best after today. Can't wait to tell you guys about it in 11 months.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
You guys realize Abyss has a best after date of 11/2015 right?
La Fours
AG
All the Deschutes reserve series beers have a best after date. But it's not as critical as the Enjoy After since the bugs are freshly added to the bottle, where as with Deschutes, they were already aged for several months prior to bottling.
NColoradoAG
quote:
You guys realize Abyss has a best after date of 11/2015 right?

Which is just as stupid as the Enjoy After bull****.

I will do my best to continue to refrain from posting about my utter disdain for stupid cellaring ploys.
La Fours
AG
Lol, it won't bother me if you decide to rant on it. I don't follow the Deschutes dates, as I know they are good to drink at release, and it is a suggestion. Where as Stone, their's isn't good at release and needs the time. And should have just kept them and released them at the date rather than selling a beer you have to sit on.
La Fours
AG
Dumb website did it again.
jh0400
AG
quote:
Lol, it won't bother me if you decide to rant on it. I don't follow the Deschutes dates, as I know they are good to drink at release, and it is a suggestion. Where as Stone, their's isn't good at release and needs the time. And should have just kept them and released them at the date rather than selling a beer you have to sit on.

Why would they pay the inventory costs when you can do it for them?
NColoradoAG
quote:
quote:

Exactly. Dumbass noob neckbeards think it's all the rage to just buy up beer and sit on it for a year. Brett pale ales suck ass already, but Stone realized they could not only sell a beer that will probably be average at best, but also completely young. Can't wait for all the dumbass BA complaints next year.
Jock 07
AG
Just got into my first bottle of yellow rose. From what I recall, I think I prefer it on draft.
BSD
AG
quote:

That's exactly what I was thinking.
turfman80
AG
If anyone else is going to JK and picking up extras of Repose, I would love to get a bottle in exchange for other beer in my cellar or good old cash, plus tip!
maca1028
I am in the minority when I say I prefer it in the bottle, it's a great either way. I had one on draft a couple of weeks ago then came home and had a bottle and enjoyed it more, could be variation in batches though.
Speaking of IPA's, I had an ABW heavy machinery black IPA last night, turned out being a drain pour. If anyone in Houston wants the 7 I have left let me know
NoneGiven
AG
ABW Black IPA wasn't great, but a drain pour? Good lord.

The alcohol in it still works.
jah003
S
Braved the elements and went out to JK this afternoon...

Repose is phenomenal... like sell your least favorite child to get a bottle phenomenal. Bring yourself and 2 mules and buy a case.
maca1028
I'm not a fan of black IPA's, one of my traders in Austin usually mules ABW everytine they have a new heavy machinery, in this case I already paid him for it before I realized it was a black IPA. I tried but couldn't do it, some styles just don't sit well with me
First Page Last Page
Page 635 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.