Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,568,005 Views | 62484 Replies | Last: 10 min ago by hbc07
jah003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
quote:
Slim chances, but is anyone going to JK this weekend who may also be in CS? I'm coming down for the basketball game and some buddies up here want that damn hay beer. They should move the airport closer to the brewery.

I think I might actually... Was thinking about skipping the release, but I'm intrigued. Going to CS Saturday to visit the in laws. I'll talk it over with the boss tonight and let you know...
Kyle98
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Me and IrishAgge13 are planning to be there! No snow can keep us from that much glorious Temptress.
Excellent. We'll have to figure out a way to all meet up.

The wife and I will be there. It starts at 5pm. I will be wearing an Aggie hat.
I don't think my wife will be joining, she's not much of a Temptress fan. We'll see. I'll probably wear an Aggie polo. If I'm solo, I'll get there close to 5:00, if the wife comes, around to 6:00-6:30.
NColoradoAG
quote:
quote:
Slim chances, but is anyone going to JK this weekend who may also be in CS? I'm coming down for the basketball game and some buddies up here want that damn hay beer. They should move the airport closer to the brewery.

I think I might actually... Was thinking about skipping the release, but I'm intrigued. Going to CS Saturday to visit the in laws. I'll talk it over with the boss tonight and let you know...

Nice. Hit me up here or on Gmail and let me know. I can trade you CO stuff or just pay cash.
Kyle98
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Me and IrishAgge13 are planning to be there! No snow can keep us from that much glorious Temptress.
Excellent. We'll have to figure out a way to all meet up.

The wife and I will be there. It starts at 5pm. I will be wearing an Aggie hat.
I don't think my wife will be joining, she's not much of a Temptress fan. We'll see. I'll probably wear an Aggie polo. If I'm solo, I'll get there close to 5:00, if the wife comes, around to 6:00-6:30.
Alright, the wife is going to go. She's been wanting to try Mellow Mushroom for a while now (we live close to the one in Flower Mound). We should be there by 6:00, maybe earlier.
bevokilla
AG
I have a friend coming over tonight from Europe that loves stouts so I went to grab some stuff from Central Market to drink. I wanted to get 3 bombers and preferred something local but the only Houston stout still on the shelf right now is Buffalo Bayou Red Velvet Stout. Its February! I picked up the Red Velvet Stout, The Good, The Bad, and the Unidragon, and an Espresso Oak Aged Yeti.
La Fours
AG
Nice Bevo. If you can find it, Squatter's Outer Darkness is a pretty fantastic stout.
army01
AG
quote:
Nice Bevo. If you can find it, Squatter's Outer Darkness is a pretty fantastic stout.
+2. I've liked it twice this year.
wessimo
AG
quote:
I have a friend coming over tonight from Europe that loves stouts so I went to grab some stuff from Central Market to drink. I wanted to get 3 bombers and preferred something local but the only Houston stout still on the shelf right now is Buffalo Bayou Red Velvet Stout. Its February!

You should be able to find Buried Hatchet easily.
bevokilla
AG
quote:
quote:
I have a friend coming over tonight from Europe that loves stouts so I went to grab some stuff from Central Market to drink. I wanted to get 3 bombers and preferred something local but the only Houston stout still on the shelf right now is Buffalo Bayou Red Velvet Stout. Its February!

You should be able to find Buried Hatchet easily.
Good call I forgot about Southern Star. If I would have known he liked stouts a few weeks ago I would have picked up a DR15. It is just crazy to me that Spring Bock has already replaced Winter Stout and Karbach doesn't have Hellfighter available at least during the winter (I think 1 batch was released but that is all I ever saw).

I might bust out my last two Bourbon County barleywines from 2014
wessimo
AG
Also there was still BBXXVI at 11th street kroger the las time I was there.

I have some Narwahl, DR 15, and BCBS 15 if you need more to add to the tasting.
cc10106
The new HEB at San Felipe had plenty DR15 earlier this week.
bevokilla
AG
quote:
Also there was still BBXXVI at 11th street kroger the las time I was there.

I have some Narwahl, DR 15, and BCBS 15 if you need more to add to the tasting.
I really appreciate the offer but I think we are just going to go with what I bought. If we really start drinking I've got some other stuff in the fridge we can drink.

On a related note, someone posted the below in regards to the Reindeer Tears release this week at the Spec's downtown:

quote:
Spec's got 40 cases of this. 20 cases was the entire yield from a barrel that Spec's provided for Buffalo Bayou. That batch was given a different wax color (red) and Spec's is holding for an unkown amount of time. There were 60-70 cases of black wax which was from other barrels that Buffalo Bayou purchased themselves. They sold 20 cases of that batch to Spec's as well. Spec's released 14 cases of that and held back 6 cases for God knows what. There were approximately 20 customers in line at 10 when the store opened that didn't get any bottles, even though Spec's had bottles in the back that they are probably saving for Black Friday. Rassul from Buffalo Bayou was passing out cards to customers, apologizing and saying he would help them track down bottles at his other accounts, all while Spec's was sitting on 6 cases in their store and another 20 in a warehouse.

It turns out its infected so Specs did them a favor but this is another example of the crazy Houston beer culture and the monopoly Spec's holds. No other store in the city got more than 1 case and Spec's downtown got 20 out of the regular release plus the 20 from the barrel that Spec's provided. I don't think the Spec's barrel 20 should factor in at all, and I agree they are free to do whatever they want with it, but I do not like supporting Specs because of the way they handle the releases.
army01
AG
Every town seemingly has a store like this though. It isn't just Specs. In Tarrant County, Hall's get more than their share of big releases, even when the allotment is supposedly based on cases of the regular stuff the store has sold...
62strat
AG
quote:
It turns out its infected so Specs did them a favor but this is another example of the crazy Houston beer culture and the monopoly Spec's holds.
Interesting tidbit: in CO, liquor stores can't be chains. Only 1 store.
Spec's is crazy. 1972 there were 16 stores. 2002, 24 stores.

2015??? 125 stores. Kind of parallels the growth of craft beer market.. hmm..
NColoradoAG
Avery's new growler list. I laughed.

wessimo
AG
Dang. Even higher (per oz) than the ridiculous bottle prices.
SecoKid
AG
Delicious.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Drank my dissident before I noticed the best after date. Need to find another one now.
jah003
S
I follow directions...

GTBullitt68
AG
quote:
Drank my dissident before I noticed the best after date. Need to find another one now.

Me too...
Jock 07
AG
quote:

They done lost their minds. How was the brewery though?
NColoradoAG
quote:
quote:

They done lost their minds. How was the brewery though?

Didn't go. Snow kept me away.
CollinAB
AG
In line at Franklin Barbecue drinking some Hops & Grain stuff. Not a bad Thursday morning.
DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:
In line at Franklin Barbecue drinking some Hops & Grain stuff. Not a bad Thursday morning.
How is the line on a Thursday?
Jock 07
AG
So apparently we've been posting too many beer pictures via imgur and they've now started blocking Texags. Anyhow, finally found some yellow rose over at the JV Specs.
NColoradoAG
Any of you traders seeing any FedEx delay's from the storms in Dallas?
cpscAG06
AG
Mellow mushroom temptress event is a **** show. They have stopped serving flights. They are already out of a few things (Only able to confirm the bourbon barrel temptress is gone).
Kyle98
AG
Yeah, we've been here 20 minutes or so, waiting on a table. Got a French Quarter from the bar. She friends are here, so we're standing by their table bs'ing.
cpscAG06
AG
Sin mint is silly good
Kyle98
AG
I wasn't a fan. Too much mint, and the aftertaste is like Nyquil. Maybe a dirty glass. Had half of my friend's flight glass.
Bmac04
AG
I had a couple of boxes delayed this week but only by a day or two.
CollinAB
AG
quote:
How is the line on a Thursday?

We showed up just a bit before 9:00 and there were around 25 people already there. It didn't quite get to the end of the block by opening. So not too bad.
Represent830
AG
quote:
quote:

My buddy and I might go up. Need to plan a meeting if we all make it. Weather is supposed to be bad though.

To be fair, if you've taken the tour at JK, and yes this is going to sound hippie-ish, their philosophy is that they want to cultivate a taste of the area around them and live off the land. I'm not a tree hugger by any stretch of the imagination, but it's pretty unique and the reason why they make things like "hay beer". The process they use with the coolship and the natural bacteria in the area is a pretty cool story.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Where are you guys at? Me and Irish are by the bar. Missed the BBT but snagged some mole and French quarter. We're both in aggie pullovers.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
About to try my first ever 120 minute IPA. Been looking for one for 2 years.
First Page Last Page
Page 634 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.