Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,568,737 Views | 62489 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by La Fours
Scriffer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Just booked a week at a place in between Windsor and Calistoga in May. Making a point of hitting RRBC at least once and eating at Bouchon. Not fancy enough for French Laundry.

It may still be closed for renovations in May anyways.

Thought you meant RRBC, and I almost had a heart attack. Ultrafine cuisine I can live without, but don't take away the Pliny.
BSD
AG
My bad! Didn't mean to scare you. I'd never **** with a man's Pliny.
BSD
AG
On a lighter note, you know it's a good night when this is the second best drink poured at dinner.

wessimo
AG
My wife is flying to Denver today and agreed to bring me back some beer. Where can she pick up some PlyKnee or other RR stuff?
Kyle98
AG
quote:
Mellow mushroom added a firkin of tart cherry temptress to the flight night on the 26th. It just got better
Excellent!
Kyle98
AG
quote:
Just booked a week at a place in between Windsor and Calistoga in May. Making a point of hitting RRBC at least once and eating at Bouchon. Not fancy enough for French Laundry.
We're doing a long weekend (flying in on Wed and out on Sun) in May staying in Windsor.
ElectricAg13
AG
We're heading up to Manhattan in April. Any breweries yall suggest visiting? I already have Brooklyn Brewery on the list but am not too familiar with any breweries/beers up in the north east. Any particular beers from up there that are worth trying as well as what is worth finding a bottle of to bring back?
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
My wife is flying to Denver today and agreed to bring me back some beer. Where can she pick up some PlyKnee or other RR stuff?
Not a Denver expert here, but when I was there last I found that Mr B's downtown had a good selection and the staff seemed mildly obsessed with sours if that is your thing.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Oh yeah! It just keeps getting better and better.
NColoradoAG
quote:
Pliny and the sours are going to be tough, but you never know. You have to time it right the day it gets in down there. RR stuff doesn't sit around in the metro area anymore.

Which area will she be visiting/staying?
wessimo
AG
She will be staying in Keystone. I was thinking of suggesting Applejack since it is an easy off & on from the interstate.
NColoradoAG
That's definitely the best bet for an easy stop. Have her ask if there's any RR stuff in the back because sometimes they'll hold it back there. Other than that, there's tons of great beer around town. Things will sometimes sit a bit longer at Applejack too since it's not in neckbeard central. I'd have her look out for crooked stave, the dry dock barrel aged bombers (blighs Barleywine, bourbon coffee stout, bourbon chocolate stout, bourbon hazelnut double brown), Bull and Bush legend of liquid brain, they may have gotten some TRVE Crimson Death. I'd imaging there's a fair amount of Almanac bottles sitting around. Maybe some Fremont Bourbon Abominable. There's probably plenty of Paradox stuff too, but I don't know which ones are any good as I quit buying their beers. Strat or Jock 07 could clue you in on those. Id skip Trinity offerings as well since there's much better options for the same or less money.
steve00
AG
quote:
We're heading up to Manhattan in April. Any breweries yall suggest visiting? I already have Brooklyn Brewery on the list but am not too familiar with any breweries/beers up in the north east. Any particular beers from up there that are worth trying as well as what is worth finding a bottle of to bring back?

Brooklyn Brewery is a lot of fun to visit as it is very laid back. It's a lot like going to Karbach in Houston (except that the beer itself is more mass produced and a little less interesting). Brooklyn #1 and #2 are good, but they are easy to get in Houston. You can make a Brooklyn day of it by going to Radegast Biergarten for some german beers, wurst and oompah music, then hit Dram for some craft cocktails, then dinner at Peter Luger's. They are all within walking distance and there are lots of other cool bars and restaurants in that area. Also a good view of the city.

I don't know what breweries have popped up in the past couple of years, but I can't think of any others that would be worth going to. If you want to make a daytrip, Dogfish Head is only a 3.5 hour drive down in Deleware. I would only recommend that if you have already been to NY a lot and are looking for something else to do. There is plenty to do in NY to keep most people busy forever without ever venturing much outside of the city.

If you are into cocktails, fine dining or just want some tips on cool places to go in the city, I can probably help.
wessimo
AG
Thanks for the suggestions - I'll make her a list!
bthotugigem05
AG
Plenty of bottled Raspberry Temptress at Total Wine in Dallas, sign says one per customer but the guy said I could take as many as I wanted.
wessimo
AG

This is fantastic. Best WBA beer I've had. Wish I had bought more.
dave99ag
AG
Cracking an Alesmith Speedway stout to pair with thin mints this evening. Well that and a big bowl of chile.
turfman80
AG
Any of the locals know if any BCS establishments will get a keg of CBS???

Do Not Laugh At Me...!!!
Scriffer
AG
Strange, I want a huge fan yesterday when I had it for the first time. A little too sweet for my taste, and I even let it chill got several months.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Have you looked around? I'm pretty sure my HEB still has it.
wessimo
AG
I'll keep an eye out. My Kroger still has BBXXVI (or whatever the current version is) so I may run into more.
Jock 07
AG
Brought these back from steamboat. Don't know anything about the new holland but it was only 6 or 7 bucks

La Fours
AG
Peche n Brett is a wonderful beer. Have had a cerasus yet. Need to remedy that soon.
14 mirror mirror was nails! Drank my only two back in early Jan.
jah003
S
quote:

This is fantastic. Best WBA beer I've had. Wish I had bought more.
Somehow I ended up with 9 of those... only bought 1 at full price, though. It'll be a decent "cheap" cellar experiment. They only release Mirror Mirror every 5 years... so I'll do a couple each year and see where it goes. I did enjoy it fresh, though.
jah003
S
quote:
On a lighter note, you know it's a good night when this is the second best drink poured at dinner.

Baller as always... I've got one bottle that calls my name every time I open the cellar.
La Fours
AG
quote:

Do Not Laugh At Me...!!!

Come on man. Really? Sorry. I had to.

I haven't even bothered to ask the local folks I know about CBS because I figured that HayMerchant was the only one in state to get a keg. I am just guessing on that though.

You would have better luck trading for a bottle.
La Fours
AG
I wish I would have held on to the 3 or 4 bottles I bought. They were just so damn good I drank them. I'm sure there are some still turding up shelves around the state. I'll get around to having a friend pick up a couple for me.
Kyle98
AG
Wife came home from her thirty-one meeting bearing gifts. A Raspberry Temptress and a Stone Enjoy After!
turfman80
AG
quote:
quote:

Do Not Laugh At Me...!!!

Come on man. Really? Sorry. I had to.

I haven't even bothered to ask the local folks I know about CBS because I figured that HayMerchant was the only one in state to get a keg. I am just guessing on that though.

You would have better luck trading for a bottle.
No, there are many more kegs slated for Texas...Austin has at least 4 locations, Houston has several and even San Antonio, but I have to admit there was just a sliver of hope we would luck out.
erushing
I seriously doubt CBS will hit BCS, but there have already been 2 events in Austin and the rep posted that he had 4 more kegs for Austin back in early Jan. There's a BA thread for it. There's a single event in SA in Feb as well. I haven't seen where the other Austin events will be. The Draught House one may subtract from that 4 keg figure, but it seems like there are at least a couple outstanding events besides that one (DH is within the next week, I think). There are threads for Houston/Dallas also, but I haven't read them. Brass Tap in Round Rock got it first and it actually wasn't the ****show you'd expect. It lasted a couple hours and I easily got a pour plus they had Big Luscious and Backwoods *******.
maca1028
Nobi's in Webster south of Houston still has their keg, they are supposedly going to tap it the day they open up their new expansion
Jock 07
AG
Looking forward to checking out avery's new spot
NColoradoAG
You going for Uncle Jacobs this weekend?
Jock 07
AG
Unfortunately not, have to go home for a funeral.
First Page Last Page
Page 628 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.