Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,674,816 Views | 62646 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Jock 07
The Beer and I
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A buddy took a trip to Michigan and brought these back, mostly some 3 Floyds and stuff from Shorts. But also gave me some Bourbon county since I missed out on the release this year.
NoneGiven
AG
Had some Lone Pint Knecht Ruprecht tonight with dinner. I was shocked at how subtle the pepper was.

This for dessert
txaggie05
AG
quote:
Just had both Yellow Rose and Grapefruit Sculpin for the first time...both on draft, too. Man, what a couple of great beers.
I'm sorry...I'm just not seeing it with Yellow Rose. As a hop head, I've had it several times and have never really been all that impressed by it. There's just something in the finish that is kind of nasty and I don't like.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
^Not every IPA has to be quintuple IPA hop bomb. Yellow Rose is a top three beer out of Texas, one off or regular production.

To each his own, I guess.
aggiemike02
AG
quote:
Had some Lone Pint Knecht Ruprecht tonight with dinner. I was shocked at how subtle the pepper was.

This for dessert

That Knecht Ruprecht was awesome.
txaggie05
AG
quote:
^Not every IPA has to be quintuple IPA hop bomb. Yellow Rose is a top three beer out of Texas, one off or regular production.

To each his own, I guess.
I don't need a hop bomb. I guess the "Texas" thing is it. I wouldn't put it as a top 3 in Texas (even though IPAs make up 75% of the beer I drink), but it is one of the top Texas IPAs. But there are at least half a dozen readily available IPA/IIPA/double IPAs from around the country that I'd rather drink. I don't know if it's their yeast or what, but there's just something about it that's more than dank...I dunno. Like you said, to each his own. I just laugh my ass off every time someone mentions it in the same breath as Pliny.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
I don't know why I've never tried Old Rasputin until tonight. It's an awesome beer that's available everywhere.
Jock 07
AG
I've only had yellow rose on tap and I'm a fan. I get fresh Pliny here fairly regularly and I say yellow rose gives it a run for its money, even though ones a DIPA and ones not.
BSD
AG
Yellow Rose has been very good the few times I've had a taste.
txaggie05
AG
quote:
I've only had yellow rose on tap and I'm a fan. I get fresh Pliny here fairly regularly and I say yellow rose gives it a run for its money, even though ones a DIPA and ones not.
This is why I keep getting it. Everyone says it's great, and so I keep trying it. I've had it on tap probably 6-7 times and only 2 of them have I gotten a "clean" flavor profile. I don't know what the deal is, maybe we just get the crappy kegs in San Antonio. haha
62strat
AG
Are the production numbers on DR increasing over the years? It seems on the cusp of the neckbeard takeover DR wasn't that hard to get. (Specifically DR 8-10 or so, late 2000s)
I'd go on my lunch break to specs on westheimer and they'd have it. Are the neckbeards multiplying faster than the DR production?

There is no one local brand here in the front range that I'm chasing. Well maybe there is about 10 of them, but no single one too many good beers to stress out over one.
Jason_Ag98
AG
quote:
I don't know why I've never tried Old Rasputin until tonight. It's an awesome beer that's available everywhere.

That's part of what makes the neckbeard hysteria over DR15 so funny to me - I think Old Rasputin is easily better and I can walk into HEB and pick it up anytime I want.
jah003
S
quote:
Are the neckbeards multiplying faster than the DR production?
Yep... everyone knows that neckbeards reproduce asexually...
steve00
AG
quote:
quote:
This is why I keep getting it. Everyone says it's great, and so I keep trying it. I've had it on tap probably 6-7 times and only 2 of them have I gotten a "clean" flavor profile. I don't know what the deal is, maybe we just get the crappy kegs in San Antonio. haha

I have only had one bottle of YR, but I thought it was very good. I have also only had it on tap once (Hay Merchant) and it was terrible.

I think it was just a bad pour. Next time I can get some YR, I will pay whatever it takes. Anyone comparing to Pliny should be taken with a grain of salt, since they aren't the same styles of beer.

A comparison to Sculpin would make more sense. YR may be better. I just need to get more so I can do a side by side. I'd put it up against Blind Pig as well, though my guess is it would fall somewhere between the two.
Falcon85
AG
I may try that Sculpin/YR side by side this weekend.
NColoradoAG
So if you were trapped on an island for the rest of your life, which IPA/DIPA would you choose?
AgEng06
AG
Pliny
Scriffer
AG
Can we assume we're getting fresh shipments every week?

No way I'm drinking stale Pliny for eternity.
steve00
AG
Firestone Walker Double Jack is my go to beer due to easy availability, but fresh Pliny would be my answer in this scenario.

I drink 3-5 Pliny a week and never get tired of it. If I had a steadier supply, I'd probably drink 2-3 per night.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Because I have yet to try Pliny, I would have to go with Odell Myrcenary. Loving that stuff recently!
jah003
S
quote:
So if you were trapped on an island for the rest of your life, which IPA/DIPA would you choose?
Is this BA...?
Falcon85
AG
If you could get fresh Pliney every week you would not be trapped on an island.
Mustang1
AG
Whole foods-HOU post oak has DR 15 in the back. Ask one of the employees for it.
NoneGiven
AG
Any thoughts on the New Braunfels Brewing Co Sours? Trying to put together a package of Texas beers for a friend that is a sour fan.
corndog04
AG
Prob Boneyard Hop Venom for a DIPA.
I'd have a lot harder time deciding on a regular IPA.
corndog04
AG
And speaking of Yellow Rose, I would love to make a trade with someone for some. I can provide anything that is reasonably available in Portland.
dummble
AG
I've only had the WasserWeiss and it was great. Not too sour and very drinkable. But 2.6% will be like that.
Jock 07
AG
These seemed interesting so I went ahead and garbed Em, hole I didn't make a poor decision

Ags #1
AG
Plenty of BBH at Kroger at kirby
maca1028
Having the second half of my BBH bomber tonight, much better, I guess I wan't feeling it last night
cpscAG06
AG
Popped a SA BB 3 tonight and it was glorious. Used my new Jester King long stemmed glass too
62strat
AG
I drank a Destihl 'here goes nothing' yesterday. I mean, two days in a row in the 70s here in Denver, had to enjoy a nice light refreshing beer.

I had it with dark chocolate with almonds and sea salt, amazing.
maca1028
DR15 has my vote, pretty solid
Falcon85
AG
DR 15 in bombers or 6s at Whole Foods in Plano; just ask for it. They also had Sculpin Grapefruit. Not a fan of sours, but will give it a try.
army01
AG
DR15 is skrong. Might have to pick up another sixer.
First Page Last Page
Page 609 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.