Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,567,847 Views | 62483 Replies | Last: 42 min ago by jah003
maca1028
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yea, it's a little run down old corner store, but he selection is pretty awesome
maca1028
Can't wait to open mine, how is it?
La Fours
AG
As good as ever. I had a growler of it a couple of weeks ago. Should age well too. My plan is to pick up another bottle soon and age it. My plan is to grab one from each release to age for a year or so. But I'll probably end up drinking them shortly after buying
maca1028
I need to go get one more to send off as a thank you to someone mulling some new glarus for me
La Fours
AG
quote:
I need to go get one more to send off as a thank you to someone mulling some new glarus for me

That's a generous plan. But not necessary. From what I can tell, you did more than right by your mule.
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
Any suggestions for bottle shops/beer stores in Austin and which beers to pick up that I can't get in Houston??

Greenhouse
Infamous PB Stout
Others??
E First is a good suggestion, but those beers are pretty readily available at a lot of stores here. Central Market had several of Green House yesterday. Pretty sure I saw Sweep the Leg at WhichCraft. Sunrise Minimart on anderson is an excellent beer store as well

run through this timeline and find plenty of other suggestions https://twitter.com/craftbeeratx
jah003
S
So... word on the street is Abyss is going for close to $20 at the Houston area HEB's...
If this is truly the going rate... I'm out.
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
Funky gold Amarillo is being released today.

Hopefully austin will have plenty cause I won't be there till next Friday.
I stopped by Sunrise and they have about 1 and a half cases remaining of their 5 case allotment. 2 bottle limit.
corndog04
AG
quote:
So... word on the street is Abyss is going for close to $20 at the Houston area HEB's...
If this is truly the going rate... I'm out.

Not surprised. It was going for $17 at the brewery and stores in Portland. Inflation on these is getting a bit ridiculous, but at the same time I don't think they are going to have any problems with stuff sitting on the shelf.
gordo97
AG
Yeah I ran across Abyss in Vegas a few weeks ago at WF and it was about $20..... They had a lot of cases just sitting there.... I passed on it
aggiechris06
AG
Scored Heavy Machinery, Sweep the Leg at East First, then directed me down the road to get a sixer of Greenhouse...

....and also scored E First's last BBA Legion
NoneGiven
AG
BBA Legion made it to Austin?!?!?! Ugh

You're lucky I found Karbach BBH at HEB or I was on my way to East 1st!
NoneGiven
AG
While you're here in Austin, you might wanna head to the Flag Store. Corner of 45th and Duval. Terribly organized and a bit high on prices but there are some treasures buried in there. Saw some Clown Shoes Holy Hammer in there today.
La Fours
AG
What is this sweep the leg beer?
AgEng06
AG
It's a peanut butter stout made by Infamous.
maca1028
20 for abyss? I'll probably just drink my 2013 and call it good
NoneGiven
AG
As reviewed by an extremely obnoxious neck beard:
quote:
"Sweep The Leg" Peanut Butter Stout Ale. "This product contains nuts."

BOTTLE: 650ml. Brown glass. Uninteresting label art. Unbranded pry-off pressure cap.

Purchased locally and served into a snifter at low altitude in Austin, TX. Reviewed live as an American stout per the label. Expectations are average given the brewery. Served cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: Fleeting. A khaki colour quarter-finger wide head forms but recedes to a floater ring within ten seconds, leaving no time for me to note its characteristics. The ring dwindles for another 20 seconds or so, and is fairly creamy and of average thickness. Leaves no lacing as it recedes.

BODY: Opaque solid black. Has a mirror sheen to it. Quite dark. No yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

It looks like a stout, sure, but it's far from unique or special looking. The lack of head is concerning. Appears undercarbonated.

AROMA: Now it gets interesting. It's indeed quite nutty, evoking peanut, hazelnut, walnut, and pecan. I'm accustomed to caramelization in nutty stouts, but none is present here. It's also not cloyingly sweet, which was one of my fears. But it does have plenty of sweetness, seemingly from dark malts and a healthy amount of chocolate malts. Peanut butter and nutella are both evoked. It's not the clear distinct peanut butter character you might expect if, say, Southern Tier made a peanut butter beer, but it's noticeable enough. There's even a kiss of roasted barley in there...thank God! I also pick up on cream and a lighter (perhaps flaked) malt presence.

Aromatic intensity is mild. No yeast character, alcohol, or off-notes are detectable. Most critically, it doesn't come off artificial like you might expect it to; I was worried about artificial flavors but this seems quite genuine.

TASTE/TEXTURE: Peanut butter all the way, soaring in the third act and lingering into the aftertaste; this beer has a long flavour duration. It's a shame the mouthfeel isn't more coating or creamy, which would help it nicely. But it is aptly smooth and wet, and has a slight stickiness. The thickness and weight on the palate are off the mark considering the premise of this beer, which would be better served by a fuller body and a less sticky feel. Overall, the texture largely fails to support the taste. It's weirdly undercarbonated - almost to the point where it comes off weak - to boot.

Turning back to the taste, the malt backbone is weak, offering only generic (and somewhat watered down) chocolate malts and dark malts with their concomitant high sweetness. Yeast attenuation seems low. As it warms, some notes of caramelized pecan emerge, but not the hazelnut and walnut I thought I found in the aroma. Actual peanuts (vis a vis peanut butter) aren't really evoked, to its detriment. But it doesn't taste as artificial as I anticipated.

I wouldn't call it balanced; the weird peanut butter note dominates, and I do find it quite one-dimensional. While it's disappointingly simple and lacks the roasted barley that should be at the heart of any good stout, I don't dislike it and I think they've largely succeeded at executing the premise. There's no real subtlety or nuance of note. Depth of flavour is relatively shallow, unfortunately.

To its credit, there're no off-notes, nor is it boozy, oily, gushed, hot, astringent, harsh, rough, or scratchy on the palate.

OVERALL: It's not the gimmick beer it could be, nor is it the peanut butter bomb you might hope for. But it could taste less artificial, and it's not undrinkable - though it will require serious effort for me to finish the bottle alone on account of its stickiness and sweetness. This is best shared four or more ways. I wouldn't buy a second bottle and I continue to be underwhelmed by Infamous' work, but this beer will find its fans. Take away the novelty of the peanut butter and this would be a horrid stout.

Low C-
Quincey P. Morris
AG
quote:
20 for abyss? I'll probably just drink my 2013 and call it good

$18.99 at Shell. I've never had it so I grabbed two. Also got two habaero sculpin and grapefruit sculpin.
aggiechris06
AG
quote:
BBA Legion made it to Austin?!?!?! Ugh

You're lucky I found Karbach BBH at HEB or I was on my way to East 1st!

If it makes you feel better I didn't see any BBH at East First...wasn't looking to hard though
streetfighter2012
AG
Found a Karbach 006 cherries of fire in the fridge. Still tasting great!
No Bat Soup For You
AG
What is the BBH?
La Fours
AG
Bourbon barrel hellfighter.
cc10106
quote:
Found a Karbach 006 cherries of fire in the fridge. Still tasting great!
Nice. I gotta track one of those down or hope some kegs are still left.
NColoradoAG
Abyss is turding it up around here at $16.99 per. Sucaba sitting right next to it for $14.99. Easy choice.
maca1028
There will be lines of neckbeards lining up at every bottle shop in TX to get Sucaba
NColoradoAG
quote:
There will be lines of neckbeards lining up at every bottle shop in TX to get Sucaba
Texas neckbeards be crazy
Jock 07
AG
Speaking of sucaba fixin to go try and pick one up here, they don't sit here as long as they do up in Denver.
Stoli7
Dude I really appreciate it but my gf lives in cedar park and got me a bottle. I'll buy u a beer next time I'm up.
maca1028
Just found out that I've got a serendipity heading my way
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Sierra Nevada Wild Hop. Uses wild hops from New Mexico and it's pretty awesome.
cc10106
St. Louis Kriek Fond Tradition for me tonight.
jah003
S
quote:

Yep... Sucaba doesn't even hit the shelves. I can usually get 1-2 a year... But it takes effort.
army01
AG
Sucaba definitely takes effort. Anny, Stickee, and Parabola too. There was a noticeable fall off with DDBA, which might be why they are not doing it again next year.

Merkin has been they one that I have struggled to get. The others, I was able to get 3 bottles of each of the last 2 years. Merkin has been 1 bottle each year, and that was a struggle to find. IT didn't help that this year's release was the same day that Barrel age Bomb hit. Talk about a **** show.
Jock 07
AG
Stickee monkee always takes me the most effort.
NColoradoAG
No problems with the FW stuff here up north. There are racks of anniversary still around town.
First Page Last Page
Page 606 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.