Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,653,041 Views | 62634 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Objective Aggie
jah003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
quote:
Supposedly this Fernet Aged Porter from Odell is coming to DFW soon. Anyone had anything like this before? Really intrigued what aging in Fernet barrels will do to the beer. I love me some Fernet too.

http://odellbrewing.com/beer/fernet-aged-porter/

Kind of tastes like a liquified Andes mint to me... Haven't had this years batch, but doubt it would differ much from last years.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Aw man sad to hear. Was hoping it would be a really rich porter with a few herbal notes to it and not be overwhelmed with weird minty flavors.
maca1028
New Glarus wins by a land slide tonight! Son of a b***h that s**t is de-f*****g-licious.
gordo97
AG
Enjoying a bottle of Extremely Angry Beast.... Clown Shoes is a very solid brewery!
SecoKid
AG
quote:
New Glarus wins by a land slide tonight! Son of a b***h that s**t is de-f*****g-licious.

You didn't find it too sweet? Had a Belgian Red a few weeks back and it had a great cherry flavor, but was really sweet. Almost as sweet as a cherry soda.
maca1028
Thats what I was expecting but it balanced out perfectly. Very sweet on the nose but drank nicely. I would love to do a side by side with montmorency v. Balaton
NColoradoAG
quote:

I hope you mixed a bit of that belgian red with some CW16. I love mixing those NG fruits with BA stouts.
La Fours
AG
Nice line up there maca!! I didn't find Belgian red too sweet either. But it's a totally different animal compared to mvb. Both are outstanding though.

Here's what my friend brought from Ft Collins on her way through from Laramie, WY.

Can't wait to try the Veille and Funkworks.
maca1028
We ended up drinking a couple more
maca1028
I'll have to give that a try but first I need to get over to TB and find a Wisconsin friend
La Fours
AG
Maca, I'll see if my friends who are visiting their family in Wisconsin right now can grab some Belgian red and raspberry tart to bring back for us.
maca1028
That would be awesome man thanks!
jah003
S
You have about 24 hours to get your guess in for an opportunity to win a JK MvB/give the bowl game a little more excitement... Rules are on page 582 (towards the bottom).
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Drinking a Stone Fyodor's Classic. Perfect for football watching and this weather. So chocolate. Much bourbon.
NColoradoAG
No Bat Soup For You
AG
I wish Yellow Rose had dates on the bottles. I bought 4 last time I was in Houston and 1 bottle didn't taste as good as the other 3. I wonder if it was older...
NColoradoAG
Drain pour

jetch17
AG
OLLLLLLLLLLD
jetch17
AG
quote:
I wish Yellow Rose had dates on the bottles. I bought 4 last time I was in Houston and 1 bottle didn't taste as good as the other 3. I wonder if it was older...

I've only caught em on the boxes, usually at D&Q when he leaves em in the box on the floor
dave99ag
AG
Current haul from my trip to Asheville, NC. Favorite so far has been Wicked Weed / Funkatorium and Burial. Hit up Highland, Pisgha and Catawba on a beer bus tour. There are a ton of brewpubs here too. Not sure it tops Bend, Oregon, but it's a darn good beer town.

BSD
AG
It's cold in Dallas. Time to warm up a bit...

jetch17
NColoradoAG
quote:
It's cold in Dallas.

Hahahahaha, *****

BSD
AG
Screw you. I live in a sweat box so anything under 50 is stout weather to me.
SecoKid
AG
Got stuck at a bar tonight with a crappy beer list, so I decided to try the Shiner chocolate stout. Not a fan at all. Very thin, and the chocolate flavor was like raw Hershey's cocoa powder. Didn't finish it.
txag2008
AG
Anyone had Lone Pint's Po-Cha-Na-Quar-Hip? Thoughts?

I had never even heard of a braggot, would have no idea what to expect.
Jock 07
AG
Started with a Pliny, same bottling as NColorado's, followed by a BCBBW, and now finishing up with a Petrus aged pale.
Two Down
AG
Had a Shiner chocolate monstrosity tonight also. Definitely not good... As was previously pointed out, the mouthfeel is terribly thin and it really lacks the body, richness or booziness you want in a stout.
Two Down
AG
Now cleansing my palate with an Arrogant Bass-terd

Edit for censor
La Fours
AG

This is good.
bevokilla
AG
quote:
Had a Shiner chocolate monstrosity tonight also. Definitely not good... As was previously pointed out, the mouthfeel is terribly thin and it really lacks the body, richness or booziness you want in a stout.
For a flavored stout from Shiner and considering the Bomber was $2.99, it was a lot better than I expected. I won't buy anymore, but $3 was fair.
K Bo
AG
Headed back to Houston from Cali with a case of Pliny, 3 Supplication, 3 Concecration, and some RRBC swag.
Echoes97
AG
quote:
Anyone had Lone Pint's Po-Cha-Na-Quar-Hip? Thoughts?

I had never even heard of a braggot, would have no idea what to expect.
Just my opinion but the one I had I was not a big fan. It was probably 6 months ago give or take when I drank mine, but it fell a little flat. It may be my inexperience w/ the style but I was not very impressed, and I'm a LP fan in general.
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
La Fours
AG
Damn. Nice haul.
La Fours
AG
What is everyone's opinion on the Harvestoun ales that are aged in scotch barrels? I've picked up a 16 and 18. Just don't know what to expect.
First Page Last Page
Page 587 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.