Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,673,803 Views | 62644 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Quincey P. Morris
Midtown SAHD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been reading this thread since it started and have gotten some pretty good ideas of what to look for. My 2 most recent were from Prairie. The Wine Noir and Bible Belt. The Wine Noir was crap, absolutely the most foul beer I have ever tasted and I've had a Bud Light Lime. It was so awful I couldn't finish it. The Bible Belt, however, was awesome. I wish I could find more because that is a terrific beer. So thanks for the info guys. Sort of.
Jegan14
AG
If you put it in the fridge it will change a lot slower than if you have it in a cabinet or something. So if you're looking to see how it changes with age you should probably keep it out of the fridge. The trade off is if it gets too hot then it might develop some off-flavors. Ideally you would want it to be about 55 degrees but if you don't have a basement it's hard to find the sweet spot.
jah003
S
quote:
I've been reading this thread since it started and have gotten some pretty good ideas of what to look for. My 2 most recent were from Prairie. The Wine Noir and Bible Belt. The Wine Noir was crap, absolutely the most foul beer I have ever tasted and I've had a Bud Light Lime. It was so awful I couldn't finish it. The Bible Belt, however, was awesome. I wish I could find more because that is a terrific beer. So thanks for the info guys. Sort of.

Prairie has had some infection issues. I've had a Vanilla Noir and Coffee Noir that were both off. I haven't heard this about Wine Noir, but it could be a possibility. I enjoyed Wine Noir... Nothing earth shattering, but solid. Infected or not, no beer should be put below Bid Light Lime. Except maybe Zima...

Also, I wouldn't just blindly buy whatever you see posted in this thread. We're a weird bunch... Buy what you like. Plus, you'd probably have a lot more cash.
army01
AG
quote:
Also, I wouldn't just blindly buy whatever you see posted in this thread. We're a weird bunch... Buy what you like. Plus, you'd probably have a lot more cash.
This...more cash and fewer nights on the couch.
62strat
AG
quote:
I'm going to put my other away for awhile what is the best way of going about that? Put in the fridge or just put away in a cabinet or something?
Storing a beer at fridge temps will slow most desirable 'cellaring' characteristics.

But it sure won't hurt the beer. Just depends on what you're looking for. If you want to cellar, keep it at cellar temps (50-60)

Homebrew talk discussion
Midtown SAHD
So how do you properly "cellar" your beer? I have a closet in the house and a fridge. Is there a beer cellaring fridge? I've got a couple of BBA Hellfighters in the fridge so should I drink them soon? The Wine Noir was only a month or two in the fridge.also, I only use this thread as a suggestion, I most definitely drink my own beer. Right now I'm enjoying a Karbach Mother-In-Lager which is one of my favorite beers. Also had a Jubelale. Currently, I'm looking for a Founders Breakfast Stout from recommendations on here. Mostly, I enjoy following the discussions and exploring options brought up on here.
jh0400
AG
Does anyone out there have a Boxer's Revenge that they'd be willing to part with?
62strat
AG
quote:
So how do you properly "cellar" your beer? I have a closet in the house and a fridge. Is there a beer cellaring fridge?
Well, not specifically, but with This you can turn any fridge you want into a cellaring fridge.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Well I'll be staying away from this thread and $10 beers for a while. I brewed a vanilla and pumpkin stout that turned out well after some aging. I'm going to drink it and save some money.

I tried to make a pumpkinator clone and decided to add a little vanilla at bottling but the vanilla shines through more than the pumpkin (in a good way IMO). I'll be back when it runs out in a couple months.
jah003
S
For the record on cellaring...

1. Find old fridge
2. Buy temperature controller and set to 55
3. Load with beer
4. ???
5. Profit
Mustang1
AG
Midtown, If you are I'm Houston area, HEB at hwy 6/university in SL had 4 cases of breakfast stout Sunday.
jah003
S
JK (actually their artist) has gotten a little out of control... http://jesterkingbrewery.com/blog/

I'm hosting a bachelor party this weekend and one of our stops will be JK... If anyone wants a goandpickitupformebro of the Live Oak Colab I've got about 8 mules... Just give me a shout. They're only releasing 1000 bottles this weekend because their label maker broke, but I think it'll still be around Saturday.
jah003
S
The dreaded DP...
Out in Left Field
AG
Gonna be in Austin Friday for lunch to early dinner. Need a suggestion for a good beer & food place.
jah003
S
quote:
Gonna be in Austin Friday for lunch to early dinner. Need a suggestion for a good beer & food place.

I'd hit up Pinthouse Pizza... Fits both criteria.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:

Is Jester King too obvious?
Jason_Ag98
AG
quote:
quote:

Is Jester King too obvious?

JK tasting room opens at 4pm and Stanley's opens at 5 I think, so wouldn't really work for lunch. Might fit the bill for early dinner depending on your schedule.
Scriffer
AG
Pinthouse is good stuff.
Falcon85
AG
Does anyone know whether there is any St. Arnold's Pumpkinator around DFW, and if so where I can find it?

Thx
cc10106
quote:
I've got two bottles of Detritivore, but my wife loves it so it'd have to be pretty enticing.

bottles for trade

Very understandable, Lucky. The same goes for my extra Aurelian Lure. If you see anything enticing in the spreadsheet link posted above, let me know. Thanks.
cc10106
quote:
Pinthouse. I also recommend Black Star Co-Op and Pieous. The latter is a little out of the way on 290 but has the best pastrami i've tasted and is just a few miles from JK.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I sent a request for access. I'll let you know if see anything.
cc10106
Updated the share settings so hopefully you can view now. Noob over here.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I got in. Shot you an email.
DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:
Pieous. The latter is a little out of the way on 290 but has the best pastrami i've tasted and is just a few miles from JK.

Yes.
turfman80
AG
Odell continues to make my day since coming to Texas!. Nothing else catching my eye at HEB after work, so I grab a sixer of Odell IPA with a bottle date of 7/28. Normally I would steer clear of any IPA that old, but it still kicks butt!
Jock 07
AG
Found a single 2013 Bristol old no 23 barley wine the other day. A lot of meh, glad I didn't buy a 4 pack. Still haven't found anything from Bristol that's above avg.
maca1028
I haven't had one of these in a while.
BQ08
AG
quote:
Found a single 2013 Bristol old no 23 barley wine the other day. A lot of meh, glad I didn't buy a 4 pack. Still haven't found anything from Bristol that's above avg.

I feel that way about epic... Just had a brainless on cherries and it was just average.
fishinaggiegirl
AG
quote:
Does anyone know whether there is any St. Arnold's Pumpkinator around DFW, and if so where I can find it?

Thx
I am looking for that as well.

I did try the Alaskan Pumpkin Porter and it was great.
WorkBoots09
AG
dp
WorkBoots09
AG
Mom's Liquor Cabinet in Arlington/Pantego had Pumpkinator last week. Not sure if they still have it or not.

Also, their sister store Dr. Jekyll's Beer Lab is going to open a growler fill station in November with 40 taps, local and American craft. It's currently a homebrew supply store, and it will be after the growler fill station opens up, but it will move all that stuff into their back room. I live less than 2 miles away, so that will be the reason I go bankrupt.
army01
AG
Who is it the is getting/has a "crowler" station in DFW?
Jock 07
AG
Looks like BCBS will be dropping on Black Friday again this year
aggiechris06
AG
quote:
quote:

Thx
I am looking for that as well.

I did try the Alaskan Pumpkin Porter and it was great.

Meh....I have 5 bottles of the pumpkin porter that you can have...

I've not found many pumpkin beers that hold up...maybe it's because they get released around the same time as all the stouts and barrel aged stouts and just suffer by comparison.

But it's probably because most aren't that good.
First Page Last Page
Page 541 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.