Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,569,126 Views | 62489 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by La Fours
turfman80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One a year for me and I'm good.
BSD
AG
quote:
If you guys haven't watched this yet you need to

Is that Man vs Food?
maca1028
maca1028
SEC Ready
aggiechris06
AG
quote:
quote:
Which brings me to the point that I believe Lagunitas to be the only brewery that prices their bombers in accordance with their sixer prices.

I would imagine this would be the case for just about any beer that is in 6 packs as well as bombers. (Or a bomber style that typically is available in 6 packs like an ipa)

In my experience though, most bombers now a days are styles that do not typically come in 4/6 packs as well, and are more expensive $/oz than your typical sixers; these styles being barrel aged, sours, RIS, barleywine, imperial somethingorrather etc..

There are a few exceptions and you can find those styles in 4/6 packs, but pretty rare.
These styles take a lot of ingredients and/or time in a barrel, which both add up to cost. Something like an IPA takes neither, which is why a bomber of it is in line with a 6 pack cost.

I could only guess if Breury or Russian River released one of their sours in a 6 12oz pack, it would be way more than $10.

My point exactly. Yellow Rose is a regular (read non double, non barrel aged, though amazing) IPA, yet it's similarly priced to beers such as cherry funk, etc.

A four pack of Yellow Rose at that price would easily come to $20...the same price I paid for a four-pack of BCBS last fall...that puts it into perspective for me.

Okay I'm done...End of rant :-p
Scriffer
AG
quote:

Did the same thing tonight. Paired well worth my last Crooked Stave Surette from the Colorado trip.
jh0400
AG
quote:
My point exactly. Yellow Rose is a regular (read non double, non barrel aged, though amazing) IPA, yet it's similarly priced to beers such as cherry funk, etc.

And it's still cheaper by volume than RRBC Blind Pig which is a regular beer that isn't as good as Yellow Rose IMO.
dave99ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Is that Man vs Food?

Well played.

Went to the premier last week and it was a good film, but Tosh's Kiffin Krimson Korner might be better (NSFW).

http://tosh.cc.com/video-clips/9nihko/kiffin-s-krimson-korner
La Fours
AG
quote:
Just curious, an I the only one who doesn't do pumpkin beer?

No. You aren't. I don't go after any either. I'll grab a pumpkinator of I come across it. But I won't seek it out. IMO, it's good but not great.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:

not gonna lie, was trying to figure out how you were pouring a beer down your laptop monitor without making a mess.
La Fours
AG
quote:
quote:

Is that Man vs Food?
maca1028
quote:
quote:

not gonna lie, was trying to figure out how you were pouring a beer down your laptop monitor without making a mess.

Old trick I learned in college.
maca1028
That Tosh video was awesome!
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Which brings me to the point that I believe Lagunitas to be the only brewery that prices their bombers in accordance with their sixer prices.

I would imagine this would be the case for just about any beer that is in 6 packs as well as bombers. (Or a bomber style that typically is available in 6 packs like an ipa)

In my experience though, most bombers now a days are styles that do not typically come in 4/6 packs as well, and are more expensive $/oz than your typical sixers; these styles being barrel aged, sours, RIS, barleywine, imperial somethingorrather etc..

There are a few exceptions and you can find those styles in 4/6 packs, but pretty rare.
These styles take a lot of ingredients and/or time in a barrel, which both add up to cost. Something like an IPA takes neither, which is why a bomber of it is in line with a 6 pack cost.

I could only guess if Breury or Russian River released one of their sours in a 6 12oz pack, it would be way more than $10.

A four pack of Yellow Rose at that price would easily come to $20...the same price I paid for a four-pack of BCBS last fall...that puts it into perspective for me.

Cherry Funk ****ing sucks. Prairie is really tripping balls charging what they do for that piss.

But the point is: it doesn't matter. You should pay for only what you think the beer is worth. It's a "regular" IPA, yeah. But it's better than 95% of whatever barrel-aged, wild yeast, sextuple imperial, collaboration brew that people are buying, so.

That being said, I'd pay $15 for a 750 of Yellow Rose. Lone Pint been putting out pure fiyah, y'all.
62strat
AG
quote:

Hmm. Well I guess it's an exception. It's $10? At the end of the day, I rarely expect to find bombers for much less than $10. Pliny is the glaring exception, at iust about $6, and constantly rated the best top 3 beers in the world.

So go figure.

And cherry funk is a small bottle at over $10, not a 22 oz if I remember correctly. I think it's a pint isn't it? Or half a liter to be exact.
army01
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Any sightings of Pumpkinator in CS yet?

If the Specs in CS is like the ones up here they have received it but aren't releasing it until Friday. Limit 2 bottles per customer.
Is the Bryant Irvin Specs doing this too? I know Hulen is...any idea how many cases they got?

Bryant Irvin told me they were "getting" theirs on Friday. I assume they actually got it on the same truck as the Hulen one but didn't feel like explaining they were holding it until Friday. My plan is to go to the Hulen one first and then Bryant Irvin.
I'm not a huge fan of the big guy at the Bryant Irvin store. Zack and Justin at Hulen are good guys though.
DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Any sightings of Pumpkinator in CS yet?

If the Specs in CS is like the ones up here they have received it but aren't releasing it until Friday. Limit 2 bottles per customer.
Is the Bryant Irvin Specs doing this too? I know Hulen is...any idea how many cases they got?

Bryant Irvin told me they were "getting" theirs on Friday. I assume they actually got it on the same truck as the Hulen one but didn't feel like explaining they were holding it until Friday. My plan is to go to the Hulen one first and then Bryant Irvin.
I'm not a huge fan of the big guy at the Bryant Irvin store. Zack and Justin at Hulen are good guys though.

Agreed.
army01
AG
Hulen Specs is showing that they received some Yellow Rose....
txag2008
AG
quote:
same with Lonestar Bev
DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:

Any chance to see it on tap in Fort Worth?
army01
AG
quote:
quote:

Any chance to see it on tap in Fort Worth?
I'd say maybe. I am shocked the bottles showed up, so you never know on the kegs.
CollinAB
AG

Saw this at Whichcraft in Austin.
La Fours
Jock 07
AG
quote:

Saw this at Whichcraft in Austin.

Nice
Yup, pretty much
dave99ag
AG
I was at The Ranch in Las Colinas recently and they had Lone Pint on tap. It wasn't Yellow Rose, but still quite shocked to see it up there.
turfman80
AG
Nice arrivals today!

La Fours
AG
Turfman - Nice!! That Saison Bernice is amazing. And zombie dust is always awesome.
Ranger222
AG
Anyone going to Birmingham tomorrow? Was thinking about hitting up Good People Brewing and Avondale Brewing. Anyone ever been?
wessimo
AG
I recommend visiting both if you can. If you can only make it to one I would head to Avondale since they don't package most of their beers and they have a nice bar setup in a cool part of town. Grab some Good People stuff to bring home (Hop City is not too far from Avondale). Snake Handler DIPA is awesome but you can't always find it.
BSD
AG
I met some folks from Good People at Dark Lord Day a few years ago. They were...well...good people. They had parked next to us and brought a cooler of their beer to share and it was accidentally the first beer I drank that day. The cooler fell over as we all walked in and the beer spilled out, one hitting a rock, piercing the can and causing a leak. Naturally I popped the top and shotgunned it. The day went beautifully downhill from there.

La Fours
AG
Drinking this tonight. It's not bad. Very tart.

Jock 07
AG
Golden Gate Gose for me tonight
gordo97
AG
Having a Clown Shoes - "Ride the lion"..... Wee Heavy aged in bourbon barrels.... Very tasty!!!
BSD
AG
Looks like the City Acre project is about to get moving...again.

quote:
City Acre Brewing Co.. was given the greenlight today to build a brewbup. Owner Matt Schlabach made the announcement on Facebook this morning:

We are absolutely over the moon to announce our biggest news yet: the City of Houston has finally approved all of our permits for construction! It's been a long road and we are so thankful for your patience and support. We're pretty thrilled to dive into construction and get our doors open!

The soon-to-be brewpub, located in the Eastex-Jenson area of North Houston, faced a number of permitting hurdles. Those problems stemmed from plans to convert a Victorian-style house into a restaurant. With today's victory, City Acre Brewing Co is one step closer to opening.

Construction can move forward but Schlabach notes in the brewpub's newsletter, the "next steps are construction [and] city inspections." No announcement date was given but the City Acre Brewing Co owner writes, "the main takeaway here is that we are closer than ever and thrilled with our progress!"

About time.

La Fours
AG
quote:
Golden Gate Gose for me tonight

Nice. I really liked it.

BWD recently brewed a Gose and it should be ready next weekend. Talked with the brewer yesterday and said it should be in the middle of Westbrook and Real Ale. Not as salty as Westbrook and not as much citrus as Real Ale.
First Page Last Page
Page 538 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.