Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,643,843 Views | 62617 Replies | Last: 21 min ago by swampstander
army01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Why haven't I come across one of these elusive 32 oz bombers!
I know what you are saying here, but didn't Lagunitas come out with a 32 oz "bomber" of Sucks? I don't think it was in a growler was it?
bmc13
AG
rogue sells 64ozers of dead guy.
Scriffer
AG
What's the deal with Rogue?

I see wild swings in opinion from people I trust ranging from "this is the best stuff I've ever tasted" to reviews that make it sound like I'd rather drink spoiled milk.
NColoradoAG
quote:
If this were the case, Pliny would be like $57.

Remember there are multiple parties involved in the selling. The brewer, distributor, and store. If the brewer jacked it up, the
distributor may not purchase them, not knowing if they can sell them to
the store at that high of a price, and on down the line. Now the store
could easily find out if they can jack the price up, and reap all the
extra profits. But I'm not sure how fair that is to the brewer,
especially if they don't really know about it.

That's all true, but my point still stands. Pliny isn't really a limited release beer either.

Take Parabola for example. If FW increased their price by, say 50%, and the MSRP came out at $24 instead of $16 they would still sell all of it in relatively the same amount of time, while everyone involved made roughly 30-50% more on the beer. Many breweries are slowly coming around to this idea, but others seem to hold back on maximizing profit for various reasons. Some people don't like the idea of a brewery "maximizing profits," which is fine, but I have no problem with a brewery making as much money as they can on their product.

Is Lone Pint using a distributor? IIRC, breweries can self distribute in Texas.
NColoradoAG
quote:
quote:
I know what you are saying here, but didn't Lagunitas come out with a 32 oz "bomber" of Sucks? I don't think it was in a growler was it?
Yep, Lagunitas is now making quart bottles of Sucks year round. I've had mixed success finding fresh bottles.
La Fours
AG
quote:
quote:

Remember there are multiple parties involved in the selling. The brewer, distributor, and store. If the brewer jacked it up, the
distributor may not purchase them, not knowing if they can sell them to
the store at that high of a price, and on down the line. Now the store
could easily find out if they can jack the price up, and reap all the
extra profits. But I'm not sure how fair that is to the brewer,
especially if they don't really know about it.
That's all true, but my point still stands. Pliny isn't really a limited release beer either.

Take Parabola for example. If FW increased their price by, say 50%, and the MSRP came out at $24 instead of $16 they would still sell all of it in relatively the same amount of time, while everyone involved made roughly 30-50% more on the beer. Many breweries are slowly coming around to this idea, but others seem to hold back on maximizing profit for various reasons. Some people don't like the idea of a brewery "maximizing profits," which is fine, but I have no problem with a brewery making as much money as they can on their product.

Is Lone Pint using a distributor? IIRC, breweries can self distribute in Texas.

Breweries under a certain size can self distribute. I believe they have to have a capacity under 10k barrels a year.

Also, this release of Yellow Rose isn't a limited edition. It's just the first release of it in bottles. It is supposed to be year round, just like kegs.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Can you get this yellow rose in Fort Worth?
jh0400
AG
quote:
quote:
If all the $10 yellow rose 750's sell out instantly, they should be charging even more.

Remember there are multiple parties involved in the selling. The brewer, distributor, and store. If the brewer jacked it up, the distributor may not purchase them, not knowing if they can sell them to the store at that high of a price, and on down the line. Now the store could easily find out if they can jack the price up, and reap all the extra profits. But I'm not sure how fair that is to the brewer, especially if they don't really know about it.

quote:
Most places charged ~$10 for a 32 oz bomber

I typed "bomber" but meant "growler". That's what I get for trying to multitask. Thanks for your correction though as others may not have been smart enough to figure it out.
La Fours
AG
quote:
Can you get this yellow rose in Fort Worth?

No. It's a Houston only.
maca1028
Favorite Brand used to be their distributer, not sure if they still are
localag242
Any sightings of Pumpkinator in CS yet?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Is it still possible to get Rahr Visionary Pumpkin or is that a limited that's long gone?
No Bat Soup For You
AG
There's still a lot of that Rahr left in both Specs in Fort Worth.

Also it's still in the HEB in Burleson so I assume other HEBs will have it.
La Fours
AG
quote:

I think Holleman HEB got some yesterday I believe. Look for Steve's Beer and Wine facebook page.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
quote:

If the Specs in CS is like the ones up here they have received it but aren't releasing it until Friday. Limit 2 bottles per customer.
bmc13
AG
quote:
Limit 2 bottles per customer.

and all purchased by staff right as the store opens.
La Fours
AG
quote:
quote:
Limit 2 bottles per customer.

and all purchased by staff right as the store opens.

That's one positive about this Specs. They don't let their employees buy up all the good stuff.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Good deal. Thanks man.
aggiechris06
AG
I second the notion on $10 sixers of yellow rose.

In a related story, finally picked up some FBS...$10.49 per four pack. Based on the math, a bomber/750 would run $5.25!!

Which brings me to the point that I believe Lagunitas to be the only brewery that prices their bombers in accordance with their sixer prices.
army01
AG
quote:
quote:

If the Specs in CS is like the ones up here they have received it but aren't releasing it until Friday. Limit 2 bottles per customer.
Is the Bryant Irvin Specs doing this too? I know Hulen is...any idea how many cases they got?
No Bat Soup For You
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Is the Bryant Irvin Specs doing this too? I know Hulen is...any idea how many cases they got?

Bryant Irvin told me they were "getting" theirs on Friday. I assume they actually got it on the same truck as the Hulen one but didn't feel like explaining they were holding it until Friday. My plan is to go to the Hulen one first and then Bryant Irvin.
62strat
AG
quote:
Which brings me to the point that I believe Lagunitas to be the only brewery that prices their bombers in accordance with their sixer prices.

I would imagine this would be the case for just about any beer that is in 6 packs as well as bombers. (Or a bomber style that typically is available in 6 packs like an ipa)

In my experience though, most bombers now a days are styles that do not typically come in 4/6 packs as well, and are more expensive $/oz than your typical sixers; these styles being barrel aged, sours, RIS, barleywine, imperial somethingorrather etc..

There are a few exceptions and you can find those styles in 4/6 packs, but pretty rare.
These styles take a lot of ingredients and/or time in a barrel, which both add up to cost. Something like an IPA takes neither, which is why a bomber of it is in line with a 6 pack cost.

I could only guess if Breury or Russian River released one of their sours in a 6 12oz pack, it would be way more than $10.
docaggie
AG
I found Pumpkinator today at Hamrick's Market in Cedar Park. Looking forward to trying it. It was one per person per day limit, though the counter girl was asking everyone who walked in the door if they wanted one.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jh0400
AG
RRBC sours would be similar in price to Westy if they were sold in six packs, given that they go for $13 / 375 ml.
turfman80
AG
The CS Specs sold out of Pumpkinator quickly on Tuesday, but the guy I talked to there on the phone today said they were getting 6 more cases in tomorrow.
jah003
S
quote:
I found Pumpkinator today at Hamrick's Market in Cedar Park. Looking forward to trying it. It was one per person per day limit, though the counter girl was asking everyone who walked in the door if they wanted one.

There were three cases on the floor at the Lakeline HEB. Just out of sheer morbid curiosity, how much was Hamricks charging a bottle?
localag242
Zilch at HEB on Holleman. The search continues.
Bmac04
AG
Two of the best blueberry beers I've ever had.

docaggie
AG
I didn't ask, and didn't bother with a receipt. I needed to get back up to Temple.
I got five various singles, the Pumpkinator, a Warlock, and another bomber that escapes me at the moment that was 9.99. The total was $46 and change, so I'm guessing around the $10 mark.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jah003
S
quote:
I didn't ask, and didn't bother with a receipt. I needed to get back up to Temple.
I got five various singles, the Pumpkinator, a Warlock, and another bomber that escapes me at the moment that was 9.99. The total was $46 and change, so I'm guessing around the $10 mark.

Good to hear... Hamricks has a tendency to bend people over at the counter. 10 bucks isn't bad, though.
jah003
S
quote:
Two of the best blueberry beers I've ever had.

Just when I think I'm getting the hang of this beer thread thing... Bmac goes and makes me look like a freakin' noob.
Jock 07
AG
Just curious, an I the only one who doesn't do pumpkin beer?
wessimo
AG
Love me some pumpkinator. Pretty much all the others are somewhere between meh and vomit.
docaggie
AG
I've been on a kick trying a lot of them this year. I find that very few actually have any sort of pumpkin flavor. Smell, yes. Flavor, no.
maca1028
If you guys haven't watched this yet you need to
First Page Last Page
Page 537 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.