Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,618,051 Views | 62596 Replies | Last: 43 min ago by Objective Aggie
Hub05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dat peche n brett.....I wish I could get it by the case!
AggieOO
quote:
And AggieOO, I thought you didn't care for ipa's?

i still try them. i can drink them, just don't enjoy them as much as I do beers that actually taste good

the fiance loves IPAs, so if they are too hoppy, i can just pass them off.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
the fiance loves IPAs, so if they are too hoppy, i can just pass them off.

There's a joke in there somewhere
cc10106
Enjoying some fresh pine cone, i mean Greenhouse batch #7.
maca1028
Piney huh?
La Fours
AG
quote:
Dat peche n brett.....I wish I could get it by the case!

This.
cc10106
quote:
Piney huh?

It may just be the overall bitterness, but it still reminds me of that. I'm experiencing a small cold/some allergies at the moment, so that's having an effect on my novice taste buds. Out of the 4 or 5 batches i've had, it's my second favorite behind the first one.

I can spare a few if anyone here around Houston is looking.

maca1028
Glad to hear it is your second favorite. Sucks about the allergies though. The only one I've had was maybe batch 5, or which ever one was out around March, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Good thing is I might actually be getting my hands on a couple of 4/6pks this go round.
jah003
S
Buying (and drinking) the Greenhouse's has been pretty fun. I've grabbed a 6 pack of each month and been ranking them as I go. IMO, January and this most recent batch (July) have been the best so far. To me... July was all orange. Didn't get much (if any) pine. Really wish IPA's didn't drop off so much... It'd be way cool to do a 12 month tasting in December.

All this Greenhouse talk is making me thirsty (that... and pretzels). Just got back from a run and thinking there may be a Greenhouse shower beer in order...
Jock 07
AG
So it looks like I dicked around to long and missed the white paradox, this was actually the last red left. I heard some not so great reviews of the blue so I passed in that one. I am however interested to try the jolly pumpkin with all the relative hype that has surrounded them

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 7/27/2014 9:18p).]
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Having a Provenance Lemon-Lime and reading Lord of the Rings. Both are great.

Downed a bottle each of Nocturn, Atrial, and Detritivore Friday with friends. I really enjoy the Detritivore. No wonder it was sold out in a weekend.
Jock 07
AG
Good beer, but much better at the barrel room as this one has carb issues as well. Really glad they went to pry cap bottles. The tequila really comes through.
Furlock Bones
AG
Prairie funky gold mosaic holy cow what a great beverage
aggielax48
AG
My first bottle of Funky Gold was awesome, reminded me a lot of JK's El Cedro. Immediately went out and got more. Subsequent bottles weren't as good. Not as citrusy and the brett overpowered the ale. Still good, but that first bottle was way better.
La Fours
AG
I had the opposite experience as aggielax with funky gold mosaic. I wasn't real impressed with my first bottle, but have since bought a couple more and really liked them.
wessimo
AG
Beer camp continued...

Canfusion double bock (Oskar Blues) - meh. Tasted more like a pale ale than a bock. If I didn't know better I would have guessed it was plain old SN pale ale.

Yonder bock (cigar city) - again just OK. Peppery hop profile.

So far more misses than hits but I have been holding back the ninkasi double latte and the bells imperial dark ale.
Jock 07
AG
So I booked 2 rooms at the grand Hyatt downtown for 200 a room for GABF. Any Denver folks know of a cheap garage downtown to park overnight at so we don't have to pay the $35 parking at the hotel?

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 7/28/2014 11:53p).]
62strat
AG
Park at a rail station nearby and rail downtown. It's way cheaper than that.
cc10106
Well, Bishop's Barrel 7 was a win.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
Park at a rail station nearby and rail downtown. It's way cheaper than that.

Duh of course, don't know why the hell I didn't think of that
Jock 07
AG
I'm assuming that staying somewhere else, say Stapleton for 100 bucks cheaper isn't worth it for having to deal with the cabs?
WorkBoots09
AG
Uber was way easier and cheaper to use in Denver than the cabs were.

Finally tried Live Oak Hefe last night... wow. It totally lived up to the hype. What a great beer! I also had DR14, and I was pleasantly surprised. Very nice overall.
62strat
AG
Jock you could stay tech center and rail in. Probably can find a cheap hotel there. Or west of town since that rail is running.
Scriffer
AG
So I just found out I have a strong hookup in California to score Firestone Walker and Russian River. What else do I put on my wish list?

- Sucaba
- Parabola
- Pliny
- Supplication
- Consecration

Are the main ones I know of from this thread. I love IPA's, and I'm starting to get into sours. I'm not that into wine-barrel aged stuff, so Supplication and Consecration may not be my thing, but given the reviews on here, I feel like I have to try them.
NColoradoAG
Jock, I would just park down south and rail in to the hotel. Personally, I'd stay with the room downtown. It's nice to be able to walk as much as you can. UBER is a good option, but will be very busy during GABF. The Grand Hyatt is perfectly located to enjoy GABF weekend.

That being said, we all switched to the Saturday members session this year. A couple of us couldn't afford to take of 1.5 days of work, me included. I didn't notice until about a week ago that they scheduled it the first weekend of October. I can't miss time then because I've gotta close the books and I'll be taking two days off the following week for Ole Miss.

Maybe I'll still see you around.
jh0400
AG
quote:
I'm not that into wine-barrel aged stuff, so Supplication and Consecration may not be my thing, but given the reviews on here, I feel like I have to try them.

Ask for Sanctification as well then.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Scriffer, if your connect is in SoCal, I'd ask him/her to see if they can find some IPAs from Alpine Beer Company. Their Nelson IPA was one of the best ones I've had.
BSD
AG
Scriffer,

Add RRBC's Blind Pig IPA to the list, as it is most excellent. Pliny is a DIPA and one of my favorite beers but I think you'd like to drink the two beers and compare. If you like Belgian beers, their Damnations and Redemptions are good, too. Other than that and what you've listed, RRBC doesn't bottle much else.

Speaking of Cali, I wish Societe would start bottling.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
Speaking of Cali, I wish Societe would start bottling.

Word.
BSD
AG
quote:
Scriffer, if your connect is in SoCal, I'd ask him/her to see if they can find some IPAs from Alpine Beer Company. Their Nelson IPA was one of the best ones I've had.

Mmmm, Nelson. So fresh and so clean.
jh0400
AG
Temptation is back on the menu as well.
BSD
AG
jh, I have bottle of Temptation if you want it.
Falcon85
AG
N Co- I will be in Denver and Breckenridge most of next week. Is there any place I could find some Pliney the Elder, Bourbon County or Russian River beers?
steve00
AG
Check out www.craftshack.com

They don't get RRBC stuff that often, but they have plenty of Firestone Walker, Allagash and other good stuff. They charge a lot for shipping, but it's worth it sometimes for the selection.

They sent an email last night that they got Consecration in, but it was sold out by this morning.
Scriffer
AG
Thanks, all. Pretty excited to score some of these legends.

I'm also going Colorado Springs in a couple weeks, so I'll be back with more requests. I have a page in this thread bookmarked for reference too.
First Page Last Page
Page 488 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.