Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,634,416 Views | 62600 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by ChipFTAC01
NColoradoAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The barrel cellar is only open on the weekends. But it's closed for the summer other than the member releases. And, yeah, they don't really put anything different or "rare" on over there.
NColoradoAG
quote:
I agree with whoever it was that said this is decent but nothing spectacular. Should have saved my money but I'm a sucker for dry hopped sours. This isn't anywhere near le terrior or batch 60
http://i.imgur.com/dUaPkt4l.jpg

Don't forget Red Swingline. All three have some great unique characteristics. Le Terrior is the most fruity and ages best, Batch 60 was the most complex with all the funk, sour, and hops, and Red Swingline is probably the most drinkable. Batch 60 has not aged as well as my experience with the other two. Le Terrior obviously doesn't change much since it's pastuerized. The hops are subtle in red Swingline so I don't think it suffers from those falling off much and tasting stale.

Le Terroir is my favorite. I hope we don't have to wait another 2 years for the next batch.

[This message has been edited by ncoloradoag (edited 7/18/2014 10:37p).]
Jock 07
AG
Of course swingline. The hometown beer don't know how I forgot about that. Also, they're actually doing some swingline variants over there. Not sure if they're bottling them or not though. The ones they had on tap the other day were session swing and passion swing.
NColoradoAG
How were they? I remember reading about them a while back.
Jock 07
AG
Passion was decent, session wasn't really anything to write home about but still better than really any other "session" IPA I've had
Jock 07
AG
Interesting
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jul/19/stone-open-brewery-berlin/
Green Fairy
AG
Anyone tried many of the Beer Camp brews yet. Just curious what you thought. Cigar city and allagash's beers are my favorites of the ones I've had so far. The ballast point beer smelled skunky as hell but tasted fine. Couldn't hardly get past the smell. RRBCs was ok. Nothing mind blowing.
Jock 07
AG
Pretty damn good

wessimo
AG
Found a case of beer camp at bunker hill today. Looking forward to trying them all.
La Fours
AG
quote:
Anyone tried many of the Beer Camp brews yet. Just curious what you thought. Cigar city and allagash's beers are my favorites of the ones I've had so far. The ballast point beer smelled skunky as hell but tasted fine. Couldn't hardly get past the smell. RRBCs was ok. Nothing mind blowing.

I'm hesitant as folks on talk beer were saying a few weeks ago about some of the beers were already a couple of months old by the time the 12 packs reached stores.
CollinAB
AG
Yeah, some of the beers were bottled in late May. Haven't run into any major problems with that yet, but it is true.
NColoradoAG
Drinking through a beer camp now and they're all pretty terrible. Not worth the $24 price tag so far.
jah003
S
After reading quite a few less than stellar reviews I decided to skip Beer Camp. Although the chance to try 12 different beers is tempting. Grabbed a Mirror Mirror and Not the Stoic for roughly the same price today.
wessimo
AG
44oz for the same price as 144oz? Bargain!
jah003
S
quote:
44oz for the same price as 144oz? Bargain!

I almost grabbed two 30 packs of Frio Light... What's that, like 720 ounces of beer? In all seriousness, if someone can give me some decent reviews on Beer Camp, I'll probably go snag a 12 pack. They're just sitting around at my local HEB.
62strat
AG
All 12 are on tap at world of beer denver locations.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
We're going to be heading out to Jester King tomorrow. With their buying limits do you have to make two separate orders if you have two people or can you just buy on the same order?
Green Fairy
AG
You can roll it into one order if you have that person in line with you(or maybe an ID?)
Hub05
AG
Last night's ridiculousness. From L to R:
Focal Banger
Monkey Chased the Weasel
Arthur
Professor Ron
DB Huna
Abner
A Deal with the Devil
E.
Peleg
St. Gilloise
Wineification
BA 17

[This message has been edited by Hub05 (edited 7/20/2014 9:39a).]
jah003
S
quote:
We're going to be heading out to Jester King tomorrow. With their buying limits do you have to make two separate orders if you have two people or can you just buy on the same order?

You can buy on the same order, they just have to be somewhere around you. I've even pointed across the brewery at my wife before and been fine.
My guess is Atrial is gone by now or almost there, so your looking at Detritivore and Provenance left.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I tweeted them and they said it would last through the weekend.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
They still have plenty of atrial from the looks of it. We're out here if anybody else is. Sitting right behind a guy in an Aggie polo so if that's one of you guys, howdy!
NColoradoAG
I still need some of this batch of Atrial if anyone wants to gopickitup or trade.
Green Fairy
AG
So far I would put myself in the "not worth it" category for beer camp. Oskar Blues rye bock is just OK like the others. I have high hopes for Double Latte from Ninkasi. We shall see.

Should be thumbs down.

[This message has been edited by Green fairy (edited 7/20/2014 5:19p).]
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Anyone in Houston have a spare Atrial for trade? Never had it.
NColoradoAG
Jock, our convo got me jonesin for some Le Terrior

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 7/20/2014 9:04p).]
Tressels Vest
AG
NColoradoAg,

Heading to South Fork, Colorado tomorrow on a fishing trip. My dad was interested in trying some local beers out. I was going to stop at Big Bear Liquor in Pueblo on my way down (from Kansas) since it seems they have a large selection. Is anything from Pikes Peak Brewing worth picking up? We have had San Luis Valley Brewing beers before and they are pretty good. I also see there is a new microbrew in Del Norte, Colorado. We are pretty close to Pagosa Springs as well and that have a couple microbreweries. Anything else worth checking out, preferably in cans? Bottles is fine too, just thought cans might be more convenient. I tried finding a selection list on the liquor store's website but go figure, didn't have one. Thanks in advance.
maca1028
Had my first jolly pumpkin tonight at Nobi's. Maracaibo was very good IMO, maybe because it's new to Texas and new to me IDK, but I really liked the sour ale with the right amount of spice. Almost like an Ole Oi with a splash of pumpkinator.
wessimo
AG
Beer camp so far:

Yvan the Great (RR collab) - excellent
Electric Ray (ballast point) - very good
Tater Ridge (NC breweries) - OK
Chico King (3F) - meh
NColoradoAG
I highly recommend the offerings from Eddyline in Buena vista if you're looking for cans. You could also find some renegade in cans. I wouldn't say South Fork is particularly close to Pagosa, but if you are down there I recommend stopping in at Pagosa Springs Brewing Company. They make some great beers and have good guest taps. I think they only do growlers though. We have a lake house in Pagosa just up the road from them and spend a lot of time there.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Broke open a Detritivore and a Ruinten last night with a friend and thoroughly enjoyed both.

The Detritivore I thought was really awesome. It's decently dry with the perfect amount of carbonation. The sour cherries came through enough to give a nice tart flavor profile, but not enough to make your lips pucker. Just a really well done beer as usual.

The Ruinten was delicious as well, although it was incredibly sweet for something that has a tag line of being "a stage dive into a mosh pit of hops." Solid beer though. Dominant caramel flavor with the high abv content hidden very well.

I was supposed to get a bottle of Nocturn last weekend but they were out even though the bottle list said they had it. Super disappointed.

If anyone has an extra bottle of Nocturn, I would be willing to trade for it or buy it from you if you're gonna ever be in or around the Dallas area in the near future.
Green Fairy
AG
quote:
Beer camp so far:

Yvan the Great (RR collab) - excellent
Electric Ray (ballast point) - very good
Tater Ridge (NC breweries) - OK
Chico King (3F) - meh

I wasn't overly impressed with your first two. The electric ray I had was skunky as hell. Yvan seemed like damnation but not as good. Agree on Tater Ridge. Its just meh. So far I would never buy a sixer of any of these if thy came in that form. Not a real high stamp of approval for a $24 price tag.
Tressels Vest
AG
NColoradoAg, thanks for the suggestions. You're right, Pagosa isn't that close but we usually go over Wolf Creek pass and fish a stream along the San Juan one day. Usually do dinner in Pagosa so we will have to go to the brewing company.
NColoradoAG
quote:
NColoradoAg, thanks for the suggestions. You're right, Pagosa isn't that close but we usually go over Wolf Creek pass and fish a stream along the San Juan one day. Usually do dinner in Pagosa so we will have to go to the brewing company.

Nice. I grew up fishing those rivers down there. I learned to ski at Wolf Creek. The food and beer are good at Pagosa Brewing Company so you should have fun. They have a big patio/yard and do live music most nights.
NColoradoAG
Drank four more of the beer camps today. The bocks from Oskar Blues and Cigar City were both pretty good. The belgian pale from Allagash was also on point. The pils from FW was not good.

The concept of the 12 pack is cool, but the execution led to it's downfall. Way to many hoppy beers to be shipped around and hand packed.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 7/21/2014 10:38a).]
First Page Last Page
Page 484 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.