Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,641,892 Views | 62609 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by SoTxAg
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Two downs is that bruery Bois in your pic? Curious as to if it's worth it? Still a few stragglers on the shelves around town but don't know if I want to pull the $35 trigger

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 7/15/2014 5:05p).]
txaggie05
AG
Scored a 4 pack of Bourbon County Barleywine at my HEB in San Antonio tonight.
Jock 07
AG
Does crooked stave have a barrel tap room separate from the tap room at the source? Is it the old location, if so is it open to the public? I vaguely remember seeing something about this.
NColoradoAG
The barrel room is the old taproom. It's open on Fridays and Saturdays to the public.
NColoradoAG
I booked plane tickets for the Ole Miss game weekend. Bottle share is on. I'm pretty confident that'll be a night game so we should be able to go big. Same spot. Snacks, water, and cups will be provided. I'll start a spreadsheet closer to the game weekend.

We're going to play Lost Pines on Friday morning. I need some recommendations for afternoon BBQ on a somewhat reasonable path to Jester King. Hopefully there will be some good bottles available that Friday.
Revolution
Just had a Sixpoint Brewery Bengali IPA. Easily one of my new favorites.
AggieOO
bbq with no wait that won't be too far out of the way...blue ox. amazing...and i've been to franklin's.
BSD
AG
Pre-order Franklin to go. No line!
BSD
AG
quote:
Hope this goes through...

In Belgium and made a quick beer run.

Can't decide if this means I have a problem or am doing really good. 6 of the Westvleteren 12, 6 of the blonde, and 2 of the 8. Looks like I am complete on souvenirs.

It's glorious!!!
maca1028
quote:
I need some recommendations for afternoon BBQ on a somewhat reasonable path to Jester King. Hopefully there will be some good bottles available that Friday.

There are a lot of options between BCS and Austin. You got Louie Mueller in Taylor, Lockhart has Blacks, Kreuz, and Smitty's, County Line is an easy go to in Austin, and of course Franklins but get there early. Something closer to CS is Snow's in Lexington but they are only open on Saturdays, that's a really good one but you'll have to get there early as well and it will cause a late start for tailgating. While you're in Austin go by East 1st grocery on Cesar Chavez, they usually have a good beer selection, hops and grain, Austin BW, etc.
La Fours
AG
Kreuz should be open in Bryan by then.

And nice pick up in Belgium, Frio!!!
NColoradoAG
Maca, thanks for the recommendations. Those are all definitely on my radar, and I've been to several, but I was looking for some spots that are more along the route from Lost Pines to Jester King. I don't particularly want to take the time to drive south to Lockhart or north to Taylor. We'll be looking for a place that's open on Friday around 2 or 3pm to stop in at for a bite and then head on to Jester King. We'd like to be able to head on out of JK by 6ish so we can get back to my parents house in Wellborn for a dip in the pool, shower, dinner, bottlesharing, and then to Midnight Yell.

[This message has been edited by ncoloradoag (edited 7/16/2014 11:01a).]
BSD
AG
Stiles Switch is good and they don't typically sell out of meat at lunch. I'm not sure if they are on the way to JK, though. If I come to the game, I'll smoke a brisket for the bottle share, too. Or I'll preorder Franklin (if possible, it's been a pain in the ass lately) and have someone from Austin pick it up and bring it over.
maca1028
In that case county line on the hill would be a good bet. I've never been to stiles switch but I've heard it is really good.
For those in the friendswood area, the shell station on blackhawk has jk provenance orange/grapefruit
jah003
S
quote:
I booked plane tickets for the Ole Miss game weekend. Bottle share is on. I'm pretty confident that'll be a night game so we should be able to go big. Same spot. Snacks, water, and cups will be provided. I'll start a spreadsheet closer to the game weekend.

Jock 07
AG
Dropped the wife off at DIA today and figured I'd swing by dry dock. On the way I noticed a hole in the wall wing place and figured I'd stop by. Really good sauces, kind of like pluckers. A bit pricy but still good. Anyhow dry docks sour is pretty good. DIPA is quality as well. Gonna try and hit copper kettle and Trve this afternoon as well.

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 7/16/2014 2:39p).]
Jock 07
AG
Oh, also still planing on coming to the ole miss game as well. Really hoping for a night game as I will have my FIL with me most likely who has never been on campus and will most likely want to walk around campus.
CollinAB
AG
I was planning on that weekend independently. Now I'm definitely going to be there.
Two Down
AG
Jock - could not find any of the Bois but picked up a couple of their other offerings.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Wrapping up two weeks in San Diego. A lot to bring back. Anyone have any tips on how to ship ~15 bottles. Was gonna try to check most of it in my luggage, but I don't know.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Never mind. Just saw the previous page.
Jock 07
AG
While at Trve earlier today started talking to a dude from Boston. Apparently he was a beer rep or something from up there and pulled these out of his backpack for me and a Maine brewing co & a pretty things bomber for the bar tender.
NoneGiven
AG
quote:
How was the sqrt 225? Some guys on talkbeerrave about it

Great beer!
BQ08
AG
quote:
Wrapping up two weeks in San Diego. A lot to bring back. Anyone have any tips on how to ship ~15 bottles. Was gonna try to check most of it in my luggage, but I don't know.

FedEx ships alcohol no prob... Look for some cardboard inserts called "spirited shippers"... They do a good job stabilizing and preventing spills/breaks:

http://www.spiritedshipper.com

[This message has been edited by BQ08 (edited 7/17/2014 6:25a).]
army01
AG
Nice Jock! I've never had the chance to go by Jack's Abbey in all of my trips to Mass. Hopefully one day. I've heard great things.
La Fours
AG
OOOH that Ithica Flower Power!!!! That's good stuff.
jah003
S
Pretty good deal over on Woot today for the wine (err... beer) check & wine diapers: http://wine.woot.com/?ref=cnt_sb_wn_9

I don't do enough flying for this to be worth it, but some of you guys might...
NColoradoAG
The Wine Check is awesome. Mine has a lot of miles on it over the past year between me and the people who've borrowed it

[This message has been edited by ncoloradoag (edited 7/17/2014 11:54a).]
BSD
AG
Speaking of winechecks, does anyone in Houston have a 12 bottle styrofoam wine shipper that I can use? I took the one out of my winecheck to send off wine last spring and haven't bought any wine in quantity to have it replaced.
BSD
AG
and yes, I used the Wine Checks and Southwest's "bags fly free" policy with great success.
Two Down
AG
BSD - I have some boxes at home with shipping inserts for bottles if you want them.

Not sure if they're styrofoam or not, as I have had them for a while, but they're pretty heavy duty. I can look when I get home.

[This message has been edited by Two Down (edited 7/17/2014 1:52p).]
NoneGiven
AG
Tried to snag some Beer Camp today, but Ben E Keith was late on their delivery. Anyone had a chance to try any of these beers?

Still ended up with Prairie Funky Gold Mosaic, Jolly Pumpkin Luciernaga, Victory Wild Devil, and Stone RuinTen so not a complete loss.
aggielax48
AG
At Specs (south Austin at least) they said Beer Camp tomorrow. Picked up two Funky Gold's (love this stuff, my fourth bottle) and a Jolly Pumpkin Beire de Mars.
cc10106
I'm really digging Warimono, a tripel that New Republic just released.
Bmac04
AG
Just got this porch bomb today.(photo bucket, sorry)

Hill Farmstead: Norma, Birth of Tragedy, E, Everett, Anna, Arthur. Grassroots: Brother Soigne, Arctic Saison. Mocha Wednesday, Framminghammer pb&j and cocoa-nut.

Can't wait to try all of these!
First Page Last Page
Page 482 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.