Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,641,329 Views | 62609 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by SoTxAg
jah003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
quote:
How was the sqrt 225? Some guys on talkbeerrave about it

I enjoyed it. Finished 4th out of 7, but I liked it more than that. Definetly the sourest of the bunch. Also had a good amount of funk to it.
gordo97
AG
Enjoying a Backwoods Baaaastard right now..... What a great nightcap!
La Fours
AG
quote:
Headed to Vegas on Fri,anything I should look for?

Esquire network has a show called brew dogs. They did a show in Vegas recently and they talked about the top craft beer places on Vegas. I bet if you google it, you can find the info they shared. I can't remember the bars and stores they mentioned though.
docaggie
AG
I'm having a Brooklyn Cuvée Noir tonight.
I need to go get more. I'm really enjoying it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
62strat
AG
The brew dogs in San Francisco was pretty damn impressive. Capturing fog for mash water???
Ags #1
AG
They talked a out a bar in the mgm and the Venetian. The bar in the Venetian was their number 1 craft bar on their list.
AggieOO
i'm doing a bit of googling today to see what i can find. i basically have friday night and then tues night in vegas. the time in between will be out in the california desert, and i highly doubt they will have anything out there worth drinking. Basically be at a wide spot in the road, though even if they did, I most likely wouldn't be drinking anyway.
La Fours
AG
62, yeah, that episode was crazy. Their engineer guy is pretty creative.
Two Down
AG
Haven't posted in a while, so I thought I would share my haul from a trip back east. We were on the ground in Maryland for less than 24 hours, so not too bad of a haul, all things considered.

We checked 2 boxes back and shipped one. I know I didn't pack it this way...

Luckily we only lost 2 bottles, but they were both from a sixer so no big loss.

Bombers

Sixers/smaller guys

NColoradoAG
Looks like the FedEx man wanted your peanut butter beers.

FYI to you and everyone else who may be shipping beer, packing peanuts are not the best fill medium. They are a good supplement to help fill out a box, but bubble wrap, packing paper, and brown paper bags seem to work much better at keeping bottles secure. Peanuts seem to settle too much, and bottles can easily slide down between them and then contact the bottom or sides of a box. Also, a heavy duty garbage bag will often help your box get to its destination in the even of a leak or break. It is also recommended to take bottles out of the six pack holder and wrap tight individually on all sides with bubble wrap.

I know, though, it's difficult to pack that way when you are away from home.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 7/14/2014 11:09a).]
Two Down
AG
Actually - I followed most of your advice, it's just very hard to tell with what they did. We individually wrapped all bottles with bubble wrap and/or foam bottle sleeves and then wrapped any sixers again in bubblewrap to keep them intact. As you said, the packing peanuts were added mostly as filler once we got the box packed. This wasn't even my original box, so they must have thrown out some packing materials as well when they repacked everything.

And good eye - they did in fact break 2 bottles of Sweet Baby Jesus.
La Fours
AG
Nice haul Two Down.

I noticed on the bookface this morning that apparently, Lone Pint is now distributing to Bryan/College Station.
La Fours
AG
docaggie - so is the Brooklyn Cuvee Noir worth the $23 price?
NColoradoAG
Its nice that they repacked and sent it on!
Two Down
AG
Yeah I do appreciate that, since it's against their stated policy as I am not a licensed retailer, etc.
NColoradoAG
It seems about 50/50 with Fedex. Half the time the send it on, the other half it goes back to the sender. They don't seem to confiscate and destroy boxes as frequently as UPS does.
army01
AG
quote:
Its nice that they repacked and sent it on!

no kidding! Surprised they didn't toss the entire box
Kyle98
AG
Anyone ever try any Rhinegeist beers from Cinci? A buddy up there is sending me some this week in return for some Deep Ellum stuff I'm sending him.
Ags #1
AG
Picked up a bottle of provenance from JK, what do people think about it?
jah003
S
quote:

Is it Lemon/Lime or Orange/Grapefruit? Lemon/Lime is really nice... it's not in your face sour like other JK beers. However, it's a great easy drinking summer beer. Orange/Grapefruit on the other hand tasted like a swimming pool to me. It had a weird Chlorine taste to it... not a fan at all (and I'm a JK homer).
army01
AG
Has Not the Stoic appeared anywhere else, or did Smith Street manage to get all of the bottles for Texas?
Ags #1
AG
Haven't seen stoic anywhere else yet but smith street had plenty of it
62strat
AG
I don't know how different deliveries are but knot the stoic showed up in colorado about 2 months ago.
Green Fairy
AG
quote:
quote:

Is it Lemon/Lime or Orange/Grapefruit? Lemon/Lime is really nice... it's not in your face sour like other JK beers. However, it's a great easy drinking summer beer. Orange/Grapefruit on the other hand tasted like a swimming pool to me. It had a weird Chlorine taste to it... not a fan at all (and I'm a JK homer).

I felt the exact opposite. To each his own. I did manage to spend a small fortune out there Friday evening. Wish we had more time. Didn't make it out there until around 8:45.
Kyle98
AG
I enjoyed the Orange/Grapefruit as well
Ranger222
AG
Has anyone tried the Sierra Nevada Beer Camp 12 packs yet? Wondering how it went.
DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:
Has anyone tried the Sierra Nevada Beer Camp 12 packs yet? Wondering how it went.

I have not but it looks cool. Is it for sale in Texas?
Robert C. Christian
AG
For anyone who's been overseas, how much beer can I bring back?
Kyle98
AG
Looks like a case.

https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/faq/personal_importation.asp
Robert C. Christian
AG
quote:
Looks like a case.

https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/faq/personal_importation.asp

Thanks! That is just what I needed.
BSD
AG
I brought back 12 bottles of wine from Spain and then again from Italy and France. I cant remember the details but it wasn't an issue at customs at all. Most custom agents aren't worried about a few bottles of alcohol.

I just found this on the Customs website:

"
Can I bring (carry in my baggage) back alcohol for my personal use or as a gift?

Generally, one liter of alcohol per person may be entered into the U.S. duty-free by travelers who are 21 or older, although travelers coming from the U.S. Virgin Islands or other Caribbean countries are entitled to more. Additional quantities may be entered, although they will be subject to duty and Federal excise taxes, which will be assessed and collected at the port of entry.

Alcoholic beverages purchased in duty-free shops are subject to duty and federal excise tax when accompanying you into the United States. Note: Federal excise tax rates are for informational purposes only as actual tax or fee may vary according to a person's circumstances.

It is not legal for travelers under the age of 21 to import alcohol - even as a gift.

Most States restrictions on the amount of alcohol that can be brought into that State apply only to residents of that State. Usually people transiting a state are not subject to those restrictions, but sometimes regulations change, and if this is a matter of utmost importance to you, you can check with the state Alcohol Beverage Control Board where you will be arriving to find out what their policies are.

There is no federal limit on the amount of alcohol a traveler may import into the U.S. for personal use, however, large quantities might raise the suspicion that the importation is for commercial purposes, and a CBP officer could require the importer to obtain an Alcohol and Tabacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) import license (which is required for all commercial importations) before releasing it. A general rule of thumb is that 1 case of alcohol is a personal use quantity - although travelers are still subject to state restrictions which may allow less.

NOTE: The above information is applicable to homemade wine and follows the same procedure as store bought wine. The bottles should be properly labeled.

If you wish to receive automatic updates to this Q&A, select "Subscribe to Updates" on the left side of this screen.
"
army01
AG
quote:
I have not but it looks cool. Is it for sale in Texas?

It is...and it just hit the Metroplex this morning. Hall's posted that they received some -- $24.39/12-pack. Not sure how much they got, but this is extremely limited.
jah003
S
quote:

Just a warning... Some of the IPA's in there are pushing 3 months old. Since they had to essentially had to go to each brewery to brew, the first few beers are starting to get pretty old. I've yet to see this around Austin... Probably sitting in a warehouse somewhere
Robert C. Christian
AG
Hope this goes through...

In Belgium and made a quick beer run.

Can't decide if this means I have a problem or am doing really good. 6 of the Westvleteren 12, 6 of the blonde, and 2 of the 8. Looks like I am complete on souvenirs.
Kyle98
AG
Very nice, so jealous!
First Page Last Page
Page 481 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.