Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,644,631 Views | 62620 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Chipotlemonger
La Fours
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Steve00, where do you live?
La Fours
AG
Visited Shiner yesterday. Went to Howard's and drank a few shiners on draught. Then went to the brewery gift shop. They are expanding the brewery and so everything but the gift shop was closed. It was a fun afternoon that led to a hell of a lot of fun wedding reception.
steve00
AG
I live in the area that the Germans would refer to as a whale's vagina.
BSD
AG
There used to be a poster here from SD who loved Texas breweries, and had easy access to PVW and Pliny and all the other local brews and didn't like sours, just like you, Steve. I can't remember his name, though.

steve00
AG
Wasn't me. I just moved here from Houston a few months ago.
BSD
AG
And you already have a PVW hookup?
jetch17
AG
I'm gonna keep Suckin these down

steve00
AG
I wouldn't call it a hookup. More like a small liquor store that I go out of my way to make most of my purchases at. As I have (what I assume is) a larger than average liquor budget, and a willingness to pay above list price to get certain things, it is a good deal for the owner. I stumbled upon some Stagg the first time I walked in, so he knows I'm a bit of a sucker for good whiskey. I probably could have cultivated the same relationship in Houston, but my liquor budget was a little different at the time.

If you are thinking that I lucked into a situation where I'm getting PVW at a reasonable price, then you'd be wrong.

CA also has the benefit of allowing liquor to be shipped to you, so I can go online and overpay for all sorts of things that weren't available in TX. I do that for anything my local store can't get.

They charge $100-150 for Stagg Jr out here, and my guy can't get enough of it, so I just ordered it from Specs for $50 a bottle.

Also, I'm not against sours. I've just never tried them before. With some time and effort, I think I can develop a taste for them.

[This message has been edited by Steve00 (edited 6/29/2014 7:26p).]
steve00
AG
The Enjoy By is really good. I know it's the same recipe every month, but I still think this one is better than the 4/20.
jh0400
AG
quote:
The Enjoy By is really good. I know it's the same recipe every month, but I still think this one is better than the 4/20.

I think this should confirm that he's not the other guy...
62strat
AG
Enjoying a Paradox tart darklette. Soured dark ale aged in wine barrels.

Having a bad experience with my first paradox beer about a year ago (totally flat), I am finding out now they are making some great beers. It seems their entire lineup is barrel aged.

La Fours
AG
quote:
quote:

I had the same thought when I read that.
The Beer and I
quote:
quote:
quote:

I had the same thought when I read that.

Yeah, this guy sounds a little....fishy.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!
BSD
AG
I've got my eye on this guy...
jetch17
AG
Yesssss

BSD
AG
Horse rocket!!!
jetch17
maca1028
My sister in law and her husband picked this up for me while they were in Portland.

Heading into Little Rock in the morning, any suggestions?
army01
AG
quote:
They charge $100-150 for Stagg Jr out here, and my guy can't get enough of it, so I just ordered it from Specs for $50 a bottle.

So they will ship booze out of state, but not in state? That is what is wrong with our system.
Jock 07
AG
At freetail checkin their stuff out. Not too bad
Quincey P. Morris
AG
The things wrong with Texas alcohol laws are too numerous to count. Allowing distributers so much influence is probably the biggest. I'm still astounded there are dry counties.
jetch17
AG
jh0400
AG
quote:

Meh. I'd rather they'd done wine barrels and added Brett.

[This message has been edited by Jh0400 (edited 6/30/2014 2:51p).]
La Fours
AG
Part of my haul today.

La Fours
AG
quote:

Have they said what the release date is?
jah003
S
Grabbed some Stickee Monkee at Sunrise today. They had a FW rep in and were releasing Stickee Monkee, Parabola, and Sucaba. Also grabbed a growler of Austin Beerworks Einhorn on the way home... Oh the joys of having the summer off.
maca1028
What style is einhorn?
La Fours
AG
I think it is a Berliner Weisse.
La Fours
AG
quote:
What style is einhorn?

Actually. I think it is a Finkle.
Jock 07
AG
Forgive the photobucket but the damned imgur app isn't giving me a link but I finally tracked these down at the JV SPECS. Bout 1/2 a case left and I was able to sob story my way into 2 of em

jah003
S
quote:
What style is einhorn?

Yea, it's a Berliner... I've heard great things, so I had to grab a Growler. Plus, it's perfect for summer.
Robert C. Christian
AG
quote:
What style is einhorn?

Einhorn is a man!
jetch17
AG
quote:
Forgive the photobucket but the damned imgur app isn't giving me a link but I finally tracked these down at the JV SPECS. Bout 1/2 a case left and I was able to sob story my way into 2 of em

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o251/texaggie2007/Mobile%20Uploads/3FE2E42A-F6DC-4D1D-A0DC-483DE6E55D51_zpsibncinsi.jpg

Sh*t! I'm at Cucos getting food to go
jetch17
AG
Snap! Thanks for the heads up jock!

My sob story was better

Actually the guy thought it was limit one 4 pack, he started getting reamed that it's only 1 bottle as I hightailed it outta there
steve00
AG
I didn't read all 475 pages of this thread, so I don't know who this other San Diego guy is or what makes me fishy.

Tonight I'm starting with a pretty well balanced DIPA.

First Page Last Page
Page 474 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.