Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,675,438 Views | 62647 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by maca1028
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I'm headed to Russian River Brewing next Wednesday. First time there, so I'm pretty excited.

Step 1. Stop by Bottle Barn and buy 12 bottle wine shippers.

Step 2. Go to RRBC and drink everything they have...and then have a few more.

Step 3. Buy 12 bottles of Pliny.

Step 4. Bring them home on the plane.

Step 5. Profit.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Ya Ranger I let it age for a little bit to see how it would taste after a month or so and mine held up pretty well. Although it didn't taste a ton like an IPA, I still enjoyed it. I don't know how well it will hold up to the 120 days though. You'll have to let us know what you think at that stage.
WorkBoots09
AG
I hit 500 on Untappd last night with Founder's Centennial. Very floral, actually pretty nice. Of course I went to the bottle shop to celebrate hitting 500 and I picked up an Enjoy By 7.4.14, Naked Nun, DFH Peche, Community Texas Pils, Tommyknocker Imperial Nut Brown, and a Deschutes Fresh Squeezed. Here's to 500 more!
62strat
AG
Man they have so many more great beers besides pliny..

I brought no plinies home when I went.. all sours!
BSD
AG
quote:
Man they have so many more great beers besides pliny..

Really? I had no idea.
Falcon85
AG
I will be in Denver and Breckenridge in early August. Are there any breweries that are worth making the effort to visit?
Ranger222
AG
So I'm thinking of either buying a mini fridge or possibly chest freezer to start up my cellar. I currently have around 10 bottles I am trying to hold onto that are just sitting in my regular fridge. They are starting to take up too much room, and also the temperature and humidity is off for long term storage.

What kind of set up do you guys have? I have seen some pictures here and there of mini fridges and what not. With the fall semester two months away, I can probably snag a new mini fridge fairly cheap from Walmart, Best Buy, etc. However, I'm concerned about how much I can actually fit in one of those 3.3 Cu ft guys and how well a 750 mL bottle can actually fit in them. I think a chest freezer may actually be a better investment as you can make selves as you go.

Here was one thread I was reading for some examples:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/beer-cellar-fridge-help.16365/
NColoradoAG
quote:
I will be in Denver and Breckenridge in early August. Are there any breweries that are worth making the effort to visit?

Nope. None at all.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'm getting a fridge as well. In terms of cellaring, is it better to keep them in a closet for long term storage to keep them away from light? I have my spare JK beers in the back of my closet in a closed box right now. Once I get a fridge I'll have more room but was debating putting them in until it's time to drink them.
jh0400
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm headed to Russian River Brewing next Wednesday. First time there, so I'm pretty excited.

Step 1. Stop by Bottle Barn and buy two 12 bottle wine shippers.

Step 2. Go to RRBC and drink everything they have...and then have a few more.

Step 3. Buy 12 bottles of Pliny, 4 Supplications, 4 Consecrations, and 4 Sanctifications.

Step 4. Bring them home on the plane.

Step 5. Profit.

FIFY
BSD
AG
The sours age well so you can buy those in the winter and hold them to drink when you please. You can't ship fresh Pliny in the summer so you load up on that when you fly out. C'mon, people. I've taught you all better than this.
BSD
AG
but yeah, ideally load up on all you can, even stuffing the suitcase. I would always fly Southwest and take 2 shippers for my baggage and a carryon backpack for my clothes. Then I'd also ship a few cases from the shipping store near Bottle Barn.
jh0400
AG
I did see that Temptation is on the "Coming Soon" board. I may need to try to get out there again soon..
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I'm flying AA, so each extra bag I check is $25 (I think). I'm planning on doing that anyways, but could I ship some sours back home to Texas? Any recs for places near there or SFO to ship?

Edit: NVM, looks like there is a shipping store near Bottle Barn. I guess I'll pack Pliny with me, and ship the sours. Hopefully the Texas heat doesn't cook them.

[This message has been edited by mbole11 (edited 6/25/2014 1:12p).]
jah003
S
quote:
I'm getting a fridge as well. In terms of cellaring, is it better to keep them in a closet for long term storage to keep them away from light? I have my spare JK beers in the back of my closet in a closed box right now. Once I get a fridge I'll have more room but was debating putting them in until it's time to drink them.

I can post pics of my setup later today... But I've got an old fridge with a temp controller as my "cellar". I don't necessarily cellar my beers, it's more just a storage/holding area.

I got the fridge for free and the temp controller is about $75 on amazon. I've lost track of how many beers are in there, but it's bursting at the seams right now. Keeps a pretty constant 55 degrees. Humidity isn't really a huge issue, but I put a bucket of damp rid in there. I did unscrew the lightbulb that was in the fridge, cause I'm a little crazy that way.

My goal this summer is to chalkboard paint the front and take inventory of what exactly is in there...
BSD
AG
quote:
I did see that Temptation is on the "Coming Soon" board. I may need to try to get out there again soon..

Have you still never had one? I can try to bring one back for you in August. I'm not heading to the brewery on this trip (first time I've gone to NorCal in my life without going to wine country) but plan on having some beer waiting for me in SF to bring back.
BSD
AG
quote:
My goal this summer is to chalkboard paint the front and take inventory of what exactly is in there...

Sweet idea.
Echoes97
AG
Any other Tine residents hitting up the Hay Merchant Jester King tap takeover in a bit? Looking forward to hopefully getting my first taste of Atrial Rubicite!

Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
jh0400
AG
quote:
quote:

Have you still never had one? I can try to bring one back for you in August. I'm not heading to the brewery on this trip (first time I've gone to NorCal in my life without going to wine country) but plan on having some beer waiting for me in SF to bring back.

I haven't been able to track one down. If you could get one back for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.
turfman80
AG
Any Ags headed to Jester King this Friday? I may be making a solo trip and don't like to drink alone.
CollinAB
AG
Me and the girlfriend and my roommate were actually thinking about going up there.
turfman80
AG
Collin! Same phone number?
jah003
S
As promised... a few pictures of the "cellar"...

2nd picture is just to show you what the temp controller looks like (it's also quite possibly the easiest thing in the world to install). Not everything in the 1st pic is necessarily being cellared... it's more just for storage purposes at the moment. Pictures to follow next week once everything gets organized and I paint the front.
62strat
AG
quote:

Excel spreadsheet Chalk board might not be (well... shouldn't be!) big enough for inventory list.

poster above - don't know what entailed your 'install', but this one
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/johnson-refrigerator-thermostat.html?gclid=CMrO55qxlr8CFc9AMgodWkoAzQ

you plug this thing in the wall, then plug the fridge into this thing, then put probe in the fridge and set dial at desired temp. Door can close over the probe wire, or drill a hole through fridge wall if you're feeling ambitious.

No wiring or 'installation' whatsoever.
maca1028
Drinking a cigar city puppy's breath. This is a really smooth porter. Maca like!
NColoradoAG
Colorado basements + central air
maca1028
I wanna play.

Southeast Texas+top shelf of closet
cc10106
Missed out on the JK takeover at Hay Merchant tonight, but i'm making up for it with H&G's ALTeration and NB's La Folie.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
For you League City area folks, my uncle told me that he was told by the beer guy at HEB on 646 that the new HEB being built on 96 will have a growler station.
CollinAB
AG
Yessir, Turfman, it's the same phone number.
La Fours
AG
My cellar fridge is quite empty. I need to work on rebuilding it. But those beers just taste so damn good.
Falcon85
AG
Ok, if you only had time to visit 2 breweries in Denver, which ones would you check out?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Saw it mentioned on BA but not here. So according to the JK blog, they did a collaboration on a beer and it won't make it to Texas because of our idiotic laws? What exactly do distributors make up as an excuse for all this stupidity? I'm sure the money finds the right pockets but I'm curious as to what their official argument is.
CollinAB
AG
Here's the blog post: http://jesterkingbrewery.com/jester-king-fantome-del-rey

That sucks.
Hub05
AG
All your Shelton Brother beers belong to FL
First Page Last Page
Page 471 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.