Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,653,408 Views | 62634 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by Objective Aggie
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Enjoy by on this nice afternoon
jah003
S
quote:
The new Jester King saisons sound tasty.

I'm just going to call it "Sprite". Really wish JK would get a reserve society going. I find myself there every other week or so. Yea, first world problems I suppose.

With all that being said... I've got the summer off, so I'll be there Friday.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I need to get somebody to go to Austin for me. Can't make it this weekend and really want to try those. Was already trying to figure out how to get some Atrial Rubicite and Biere de Miel.
turfman80
AG
Fresh Prairie Hop...yes! It was one of my top beers last year! I tried an old bottle a few months ago but it just didn't have the fruity hop zest of the fresh stuff.
The Beer and I
I was so spoiled with Prairie Hop and Merica last year, it was everywhere! I'm so happy it'll be back in the market soon.
aggielax48
AG
Yes it was WF south Austin.
maca1028

[This message has been edited by maca1028 (edited 6/17/2014 10:23p).]
cc10106
Clown Loungin'
cc10106
On my last ABW 1/2 IPA now. Frick, i need some mo' of this. Glad they're releasing another batch of it.
bevokilla
AG
Has anyone seen Stone Ruin Ten in Houston yet?
jah003
S
Had our monthly beer tasting last Saturday... every month we do a different style. This month it was Pilsners. We were "on location" this month at Micklethwait Craft Meats in Austin. It was fun to drive past the Franklin line and chuckle... Tremendous barbecue and no wait (but that's a story for another thread).

In order of preference (we had 7 people tasting, all blind... the beer tasting, not the people):

1) Live Oak Pilz
2) North Coast Scrimshaw
3) Real Ale Hans Pils
4) Austin Beerworks Peal Snap
5) St. Arnold Summer Pils
6) Firestone Walker Pivo Pils (this really surprised me)
7) Miller Lite (this was thrown in just to make sure we weren't complete idiots).
spadilly
S
Alaskan Jalapeño IPA tonight. Really good.

Not as spicy as I expected. Very mild flavors when I first opened it. Now that it's warming up, the jalapeño is starting to show.
cc10106
^^ Good, i've been meaning to try that Alaska.

Damn, Encendia is definitely better out of the bottle. Should've brought some more back from JK.
62strat
AG
Anybody had new belgium funk tire yet? It's on tap in Fort Collins, I hope it's still there Monday when I make it there.

Very curious how that turned out.
WorkBoots09
AG
I celebrated a hefty raise yesterday with a Bible Belt that I've been sitting on for a month. Finished up with Martin House Imperial Texan, and I have to say that is still my favorite beer to come out of DFW. That may change when I try the Cedar Creek Dankasaurus this weekend, though.
Furlock Bones
AG
i dislike just about everything new belgium makes. it awesome that they helped spur the craft brewing industry. but, that's about it.
NColoradoAG
quote:
i dislike just about everything new belgium makes. it awesome that they helped spur the craft brewing industry. but, that's about it.

Been drinking a ton of Snapshot wheat. Great patio/post lawn mow beer. Can't go wrong with La Folie and Le Terrior either. The regular lineup is nothing to write home about, but they're all pretty well crafted beers.
Furlock Bones
AG
i've never tried their sours.

i can't put my finger on it, but all of their regular line up has a constant flavor that i just don't care for.
maca1028
Rampant is an easy go to IPA from New Belgium also
NColoradoAG
Im not a big fan of Ranger or Rampant. There's definitely better alternatives to those two.

I also picked up a sixer of the new Summer Helles. It was pretty good.
bevokilla
AG
Central Market Houston just tweeted that at 4 today they will be selling Parabola, Sucaba (and on tap), and Velvet Merkin. I only ask that I get half of whatever you buy for spreading the news
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
In Oahu for work. Walked into Whole Foods and see an ass load of 50/50 Eclipse variants.
maca1028
First Martin house beer...

I like it.
NoneGiven
AG
quote:

Fat Tire ain't bad. But I probably give them more wiggle room since I've won a bike and $500 Yakima gift card from them.
The Beer and I
Just tried Real Ale White, really good beer. I can't tell if it's a session Belgian IPA or a really hoppy wit, but it's pretty damn tasty either way.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Enjoying the Franconia Double IPA tonight. Pleasantly surprised by this offering. Very tasty.
Jock 07
AG
Interesting, Fat Tire is probably my least favorite NB beer
62strat
AG
quote:
i've never tried their sours.

I can't put my finger on it, but all of their regular line up has a constant flavor that i just don't care for.

Probably their yeast.

Yeast is one of the biggest components of a beer's taste, and most big breweries have their own proprietary yeast.

However their sours are wild yeasts, so they won't have that common taste.

They've got about the biggest foeder room in the country.
bevokilla
AG
I thought it was their yeast too, but on their website, only a few beers show using the house yeast. Granted, their lager yeast etc. could be similar to their house yeast but nothing for sure.

The more St. As I drink, the more I believe their yeast is the problem I have with them.
jetch17
AG
^

This. They all have that certain aftertaste
aggiechris06
AG
Saint A's new icon is a California Common made with mosaic hops to increase bitterness. Calling it a Texas Common.

Was sold at Mosaic Hops...This sounds great to me!
Jock 07
AG
That's a steam beer right? Lager yeast at ale temps?
Jock 07
AG
This sounds interesting
WorkBoots09
AG
I was able to find some good ones in Grapevine yesterday:

Bomb
Odell Footprint
St. A 20th anniversary
Hop in the Dark
Mirror Mirror

And I also rescued a couple of Cedar Creek Dubbel's my friend wasn't going to drink.
jah003
S
Looks like BCBW is starting to drop in the Austin area (only about 6 months after the initial release)... what looked to be about 6 cases on the floor at the N Lamar Central Market.
First Page Last Page
Page 468 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.