Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,639,728 Views | 62606 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by La Fours
Scriffer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're getting close to Lil Sumpin Wild season from Lagunitas. Can't wait.
aggiejz
AG
Had a Hitachino Nest Anbai at Saucer last night and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It's brewed with green sour plums and Japanese sea salt, and both come through in the taste. Really nice.
Vernada
AG
Drinking a 90 min. Not nearly as good as what I remembered.
aggiechris06
AG
Am I crazy for thinking sculpin is better than Myrcenary??
CollinAB
AG
Not at all. I think I agree with you.
The Beer and I
I agree too, Sculpin is awesome. I also had some Maharaja the other day on tap, and I thought it was better than Myrcenary. But that's pretty much the only things I would put above Myrcenary that I can find around here on a regular basis.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Was looking into getting some Teku glasses and reached out to my uncle as he's a gm for BJ's. He asked his brew master about it and I thought you guys might be interested in his thoughts.

quote:
Well there's a couple of things. First if all it's really a wine glass that an Italian brewer thought worked well for aroma/flavor profiles in beer. When I think beer expert I rarely think of Italian brewers and save for the twenty or so craft breweries in Italy I consider drinkable I never even think of beers made in Italy as even approaching good.

Having said that, I think it does work well as a tasting glass if you are judging or evaluating beer. But I believe each beer should have a glass to for with each style and trying to say that one overall glass is better than the proper glass for the style is a bit of a stretch. Plus they cost too much. I prefer the Sam Adams glass for drinking beer a better all around glass. For tasting the Teku is going to work better. It's shape allows for the expansion and concentration of aromas which is 70% of our flavor production.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Also, before I started expanding my beer selection I was pretty much an anything Shiner guy. I used to like their Kölsch a lot before they discontinued it. Noticed the other day that it is currently the rotational beer in the family reunion pack. Hoping that means they put the dunkelweizen in there at some point. I know they're not the best out there but I used to like those two a lot.
jh0400
AG
I had a Victory Hop Ranch with mosaic hops at lunch. I need to see if it's bottled as well, because it was fantastic.
Jock 07
AG
Unless they did a second production on the hop ranch the bottles are starting to get a little old now. But fresh it is an excellent beer
jh0400
AG
quote:
Unless they did a second production on the hop ranch the bottles are starting to get a little old now. But fresh it is an excellent beer

**** like this why I wish breweries would focus on making good regular rotation beers and not have everything be a *******ed limited release.
Jock 07
AG
Yea but to be fair fresh hop season only comes around once a year
MW03
AG
quote:
Was looking into getting some Teku glasses and reached out to my uncle as he's a gm for BJ's. He asked his brew master about it and I thought you guys might be interested in his thoughts.

quote:
Well there's a couple of things. First if all it's really a wine glass that an Italian brewer thought worked well for aroma/flavor profiles in beer. When I think beer expert I rarely think of Italian brewers and save for the twenty or so craft breweries in Italy I consider drinkable I never even think of beers made in Italy as even approaching good.

Having said that, I think it does work well as a tasting glass if you are judging or evaluating beer. But I believe each beer should have a glass to for with each style and trying to say that one overall glass is better than the proper glass for the style is a bit of a stretch. Plus they cost too much. I prefer the Sam Adams glass for drinking beer a better all around glass. For tasting the Teku is going to work better. It's shape allows for the expansion and concentration of aromas which is 70% of our flavor production.

Interesting. I usually drink out of a standard pint glass or a tulip glass.
The Beer and I
Lucky 007, most beer glasses are pretty much just wine glasses with different stems.
aggielax48
AG
Finally cracked my wine barrel noir today watching some NCAA lacrosse action. Tasty, my favorite of their offerings so far. Has a bit of a fruity sour flavor that I'm realling digging.
BQ08
AG
quote:
Has anyone tried L’Equilibrista?

Oh yes. I bought 4 bottles at jester king last fall... It is literally the champagne of beers. Super good stuff.
gordo97
AG
Bought some Bible Belt today. How is it different from Bomb? Haven't tried it yet so I was wondering what y'all thought.
jah003
S
quote:
Bought some Bible Belt today. How is it different from Bomb? Haven't tried it yet so I was wondering what y'all thought.

To me, it's got quite a bit more chile (Bible Belt that is)... In the last batch and the current batch of Bomb the chile is almost non existent. Every other difference is pretty subtle.
The Beer and I
I thought bomb had more vanilla too, but I haven't had the latest batch to confirm. Anyone want to donate one to the cause?
gordo97
AG
Everything you 2 have described tells me I should have bought more Bomb instead of Bible Belt..... Oh well.... First world problems
The Beer and I
Gordo, it seems like they are releasing bomb quarterly, there will be a lot more to go around soon.
gordo97
AG
There was some Bomb today but instead I grabbed Bible Belt
jetch17
AG
Making a bomb run tomorrow
NColoradoAG
Finished the bottle of stickee monkee with brunch. Went really well with waffles drowned in maple syrup.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 5/25/2014 12:36p).]
NColoradoAG
quote:

My understanding is that it was the same recipe except the base was Even More Jesus instead of Noir (or whatever imperial stout recipe prairie uses). Even More Jesus sucks so it's no wonder that regular bomb is better than bible belt.
NColoradoAG
quote:
Am I crazy for thinking sculpin is better than Myrcenary??

I love myrcenary, but yes Sculpin is tastier. It's a bit of apples to oranges since one is a 7% IPA and the other is a 9.5% double IPA. Nevertheless I'll take sculpin all day. They've been rumored to be heading to Colorado going on two years. They even held some industry events last fall but nothing came of it. Oh well, I'll just keep drinking all of the St Lupulin. All of it.
The Beer and I
All that beer in Colorado and y'all don't get sculpin? That's almost criminal. I just picked up a growler, gonna be a fun night!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Anybody else out at JK today?
aggiechris06
AG
quote:
All that beer in Colorado and y'all don't get sculpin? That's almost criminal. I just picked up a growler, gonna be a fun night!

Where you located??? Polishing off a growler of the good stuff myself as we speak!
The Beer and I
quote:
quote:

Where you located??? Polishing off a growler of the good stuff myself as we speak!

Katy, got it at Whole Foods off 99. What about you?
BQ08
AG
quote:
Anybody else out at JK today?

I was there earlier... Encendia is pretty awesome. Nocturnal beats atrial IMO as well.
Green Fairy
AG
Killing off copious four squared and hopadillo while cooking a turkey on the bge.
aggiechris06
AG
Just.moved from.pearland out to Katy...any suggestions for the best craft beer bar out here??
aggiechris06
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Katy, got it at Whole Foods off 99. What about you?

Nice! I am 2 miles from that glorious place. They had growlers of myrcenary for 11 bucks earlier this week...and now that it's gone, replaced it with Sculpin. Amazing
The Beer and I
quote:
Just.moved from.pearland out to Katy...any suggestions for the best craft beer bar out here??

Unfortunately, not much to choose from. My go to is WF. The price is right and it's close. World of Beer is ok, decent selection, but the service sucks unless you get a spot at the bar. I heard a new growler place is also opening up in Fulshear.
First Page Last Page
Page 456 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.