Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,674,732 Views | 62646 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Jock 07
aggiespartan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This tasted a lot like Oberon to me.

jetch17
AG
713nervy
AG
all cans?
jetch17
AG
Green Fairy
AG
quote:
Broke into the Abrasive tonight; simply amazing. Smells and tastes like East Texas

Crystal meth beer?
jah003
S
Found this bad boy in the depths of my beer fridge:

This is left over from a variety pack I picked up in Wisconsin during my annual summer journey to the Midwest. Haven't tried this one from New Glarus yet. Will edit with review tonight (if it's still drinkable...).

On a side note... New Glarus might be one of my favorite breweries. Only way to get a New Glarus though is to be in Wisconsin.

[This message has been edited by jah003 (edited 3/1/2012 5:56p).]
bonfirewillburn
AG
this stuff always makes me happy too!

bonfirewillburn
AG
Here is the Swedish beer I for got to upload

Spiced Dark Ale - very malty, anise spice
Mid Winter Brew - scores an 86 on BA - but I really enjoyed it!

pretty good!

The Mohawk, didnt get a pic of the beer - was created in an American Style IPA - fer hoppy, slight pine, OKAY at best.....had better IPA but I would not turn down the beer by any means

not too hoppy, decent

Sister went into a beer store and said she was doing a trade in Texas and wanted to impress. This is what they gave her. Nice range in styles and pretty good! I gave better though....2 Btl Damnation, Odell Easy Street, Upslope Stout! Cant believe I was able to hold onto them for so long!

They are in order of my favorites vertically (Damnation is WAY better than all of them in the Mohawk pic...random order there... )

[This message has been edited by bonfirewillburn (edited 3/1/2012 6:32p).]
Jock 07
AG
Not sure I get the meth reference

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 3/1/2012 7:03p).]
Jock 07
AG
Just got a call from the class 6 that the bigfoot I had ordered about a month ago just came in; gonna drink one sixer and cellar the other. Any reviews on this years vintage?
Green Fairy
AG
quote:
Not sure I get the meth reference

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 3/1/2012 7:03p).]

Lot of meth houses in east Texas...sorry that joke may have been a stretch
Jock 07
AG
Gotcha; but there sure isn't any shortage of meth shacks in this part of the country either.
713nervy
AG
New Glarus! My boss is a huuuge beer snob and he gave me a bomber of New Glarus' Raspberry Tart. It was really good, but super sweet.
DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:
Just got a call from the class 6 that the bigfoot I had ordered about a month ago just came in; gonna drink one sixer and cellar the other. Any reviews on this years vintage?

I liked it. It's been a while and several beers since I've had it or I'd give you more details. If you like barleywines, you'll like it.
NColoradoAG

Not gonna spell it out. It's a smoked farmhouse ale.

This is pretty darn good. Malty, smokey, a bit citrusy. High carbonation makes it easy to drink.

I ended up with 11 elders during the last round of them popping up here in CO. Already drank two so was down to nine. Felt like I should trade one to get down to 8. Went down to one of my bottle shops where the owner is gaga over PtE, but his shop never gets any. He missed out this round so I was able to get a lot out of him landed this, a Dark Prophet Barrel Aged Saison from Funkwerks, and a BORIS Oatmeal Stout from Hoppin Frog. $30 worth of beer for a $6 beer.
713nervy
AG
My boss' fave brewery is RRBC and as a 'thank you for busting your ass' (in addition to the New Glaris) he brought back some Pliny and a couple other beers to share with me. So dumb but it makes me so happy.
NColoradoAG
Pliny should be shared with all. Your boss is alright in my book.
hbc07
AG

this is an interesting beer (in a good way). it's got kind of an apple flavor to it, i don't really know how to describe it.
wasabi1787
AG
I hate apples.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
I hate apples.

This line would have changed Good Will Hunting completely.

I'm so out of it this Friday. Carry on.
p-wonk01
AG
quote:

BSD,

I'm actually headed into San Fran and wine country next week for part of my honeymoon . The rib-to-be enjoys brewery tours as well. I was hoping to hit up Lagunitas and RRB, though the wait time scared me a bit. I'd love any tips for RRB and any other places we should hit up if time permits. e-mail in profile

I've been travelling all day and just now saw this. The line at RRBC is for the Younger, and they will be out of it on Thursday so you will have no problem getting in. I'm much more of a wine drinker so I love hitting RRBC and Bear Republic after a day of wine tastings in Sonoma County. I'd actually do Bear Republic over Lagunitas. The town of Healdsburg is much more charming than the industrial park where Lagunitas is located. Plus, Bear had about 8-10 beers you can't get in Texas as opposed to the 4-5 at Lagunitas. Of course, if you have time, hit them all!

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials.

BSD - It's been a while since I've been on, and unfortunately I didn't get your response before I headed out that way...fortunately I made all of them, however . I input all the breweries in California into my map and we would just hit a few of the ones we went by if time allowed. I'm lucky to have a wife that enjoys beer and how happy a good brewery makes me!

I sadly learned that San Francisco Beer Week was the week prior upon my first bar. Luckily many of the places had some kegs left over of the rare stuff. We went to 21st Amendment in San Fran, and I also tried a few of the Speakeasy beers. La Trappe was the mecca of Belgian style ales, and I had quite a few one evening (though pricey). On our way up to wine country (stayed in Sonoma) we hit up Lagunitas. As you mentioned above, we did Sonoma for most of the next day and had lunch at Bear Republic. They have excellent food! I left with a few Racer X bottles. That evening I found my way to Russian River Brewery. I took out the entire 19 sample tray and slept like a baby that night. That is some da$% great beer! I had had a few of their brews at GABF a few years ago, and was happy to finally get to see the real place. I left with several bottles of Pliny, Damnation, Supplication and a few others. I was there when the brewery opened the next morning for a few more samples and then had to hit the road. We made Firestone-Walker on the way down to LA. I sampled everything they had, and really think I enjoy their DBA too much! I picked up a few of their DBA's and Walker's Reserve. They had the 13/14/15 anniversary bottles for purchase as a pack, but I couldn't drop $150 for it. Time did not allow us to make it down to San Diego, so Green Flash and Pizza Port-Carlsbad (the #2 brewery I wanted to try next to RRB) will have to wait.

We bought a duffel bag and checked the bottles of beer back to Dallas. It's going to be a great few weeks!
BSD
AG
Wow! Sounds like you guys had a great time! I'm glad you enjoyed. I brought home some Racer X bottles as well. I think they will be distributing those nationally in October.
BSD
AG
It looks like I'll be having some good nights soon. I just ordered a little beer:

From 3 Floyd’s:
4x Dark Lord
4x Dreadnaught
2xLord Admiral Nelson
2x Artic Panzer Wolf
2x Blackheart
8x Alpha King
8x Pride & Joy
2x Gumballhead
2x Jinx

And from Founder’s:
4x Breakfast Stout

p-wonk01
AG
How much for a Dark Lord? or Breakfast Stout?
NColoradoAG
BSD, whomever you source through has the hookup. Dark Lord, plus some of the others there, seem tough to get. Maybe you should have this individual drive up to Founders for the release of KBS. A case would split nicely three ways.
BSD
AG
Sorry boys, these beers are all mine. As far as KBS, I'm working a new angle on that one. I'll report back on how that progresses.
p-wonk01
AG
I'm good for several bottles of that NColorado if found

[This message has been edited by p-wonk01 (edited 3/2/2012 1:54p).]
wasabi1787
AG
Nothing better than seeing the words "Texas A&M" through a glass of Weihenstephaner!

amirite?
hbc07
AG
change of pace for lunch

jah003
S
quote:
New Glarus! My boss is a huuuge beer snob and he gave me a bomber of New Glarus' Raspberry Tart. It was really good, but super sweet.

The Raspberry is solid, but I prefer the Cherry...

My favorite New Glaruses (in no particular order):

Spotted Cow
Fat Squirrel
Totally Naked
Dancing Man Wheat
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I have family with access to all the west coast brews! Unfortunately, they don't drink.
hbc07
AG
BSD
AG
How is that HBC? I had the Bitter American at the SF beer week gala and it wasnt bad.
NColoradoAG

Ordered Thai tonight and needed to drink down some randos from build your owns. Thought I'd put the hoppy ones up against one another.

1) Mirror Pond
2) Belgo
3) Headwaters
4) Ruthless Rye

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG54 (edited 3/3/2012 12:09a).]
hbc07
AG
quote:
How is that HBC?
I like it. Kind of a citrusy flavor, mild bitterness. I don't know how better to describe beer than that.
First Page Last Page
Page 45 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.