Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,642,406 Views | 62609 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by SoTxAg
The Beer and I
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
Got to try these last night thanks to BSD. Such good beers!

I was pleasantly surprised by the BCBS Barleywine. That was my first experience with it. The black note was delicious as always. Next up: BCBS Prop...come with it Hulk Grogan!

Temptation, Bourbon County Barleywine, and Black Note were all so good. Too bad we didn't get the barleywine down here.
jh0400
AG
quote:
jh0400, where are you located?

Houston
turfman80
AG
I was hoping for an IP, but I've got an extra Temptation. Would love to try Cerveza Tempranillo if you want to go through the shipping stuff.
jh0400
AG
quote:
I was hoping for an IP, but I've got an extra Temptation. Would love to try Cerveza Tempranillo if you want to go through the shipping stuff.

Where are you?
turfman80
AG
B/CS
wessimo
AG
Monkeynaut is good stuff.
Jegan14
AG
I'm down for the May 3rd bottle share. I'm not sure what I'll bring yet but I can definitely bring Bible Belt and 120 Minute if you guys are interested. I'll also probably bring a couple of sours.
HulkGrogan
quote:
quote:
Got to try these last night thanks to BSD. Such good beers!
http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t532/thebeerandi/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsd592c432.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised by the BCBS Barleywine. That was my first experience with it. The black note was delicious as always. Next up: BCBS Prop...come with it Hulk Grogan!

Sorry I missed the fun, SOON!
Jason_Ag98
AG
Ballast Point Victory at Sea tonight.
La Fours
AG
quote:
I'm down for the May 3rd bottle share. I'm not sure what I'll bring yet but I can definitely bring Bible Belt and 120 Minute if you guys are interested. I'll also probably bring a couple of sours.

Sounds good. See you there.
La Fours
AG
What location do y'all have in mind for the bottle share?
txaggie05
AG
NColoradoAG
OVERTIME GOOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL

[This message has been edited by ncoloradoag (edited 4/27/2014 12:26a).]
Vernada
AG
That doesn't seem like a good idea...
jah003
S
quote:
What location do y'all have in mind for the bottle share?

Based on the google doc looking like the SE corner of Reed (towards Olsen). aggiejz can chime in, but seems pretty close to where we did the football shares.

We always tailgate at Olsen (right by the tracks), so I can always host there if needed as well.
aggiejz
AG
Yeah, I was thinking the corner of the Reed lot that's closest to Olsen, kind of across from the softball field too I guess. Although jah if you're already gonna have a tailgate set up over on the Olsen side and wanted to host, that would be awesome. From an "I'm lazy" standpoint, I'd prefer not to set up my own tailgate if someone is already gonna have one. But I'm totally cool with doing that, so just let me know!
aggiejz
AG
Sorry in advance that the pics are huge. I tried imgur and they were ridiculous, so I did Photobucket and they're still too big but oh well I give up.

Some awesome Bay Area adventures so far on Day 1 yesterday..

Faction Brewing was first.

It's in what I think is some sort of old aircraft hangar out in Alameda, with some awesome views of the Bay and over at the city. Beers were all very solid, with some great pale ales and IPA's and a really tasty coffee stout.

Then headed up to Berkeley and The Rare Barrel.

They've been open since just after Christmas in the tap room, and brewing for a little over a year. They do exclusively sours, and everything I had was excellent. Only negative is they don't do flights or half pours so I didn't get to try all of their beers, but everything was under 6% so I was able to have more than just 1 or 2. Super nice staff, too. Had some great convo about Texas and Cali beers.

Up the coast I went then to Petaluma to my hotel, and then wandered over to Lagunitas. It was packed around 6pm when I got there (they're open 'til 8) but I was able to grab a seat at the bar. I've had everything on their regular lineup, and I was hoping they'd have more one-off type stuff than they did. I got a flight of the only 4 unique things they did have, but none really blew me away. It'd be a cool spot to spend with friends on a nice afternoon cuz they have a big outdoor area, but after the first 2 places I went it was a bit of a letdown.

I ventured over to a super small almost nano brewery I guess called Baeltane in Novato.

Nice folks and decent Belgian style beers, but nothing super special either and they only had 3 on tap as a result of having used a lot of beer for a festival or something.

I ended the night at Moylan's.

I did a flight of 6, although I could have done all 13 or so that they had on tap if I'd wanted. Some solid offerings, and tasty fish and chips as well. I considered hitting a bar called Taps in Petaluma, but my body decided enough beer in 1 day was enough.

Today is Russian River and Bear Republic. I'm a bit excited. I'll check back in tomorrow to humblebrag.

[This message has been edited by aggiejz (edited 4/27/2014 12:01p).]
turfman80
AG
Your liver just tweeted that it has surrendered.
aggiejz
AG
It hasn't surrendered yet but lord knows by the time this trip is over it's probably going to just retire.
BSD
AG
Blue star for JZ. Tear that **** up!!!
HulkGrogan
Baller
Jason_Ag98
AG
Livin' the dream. Have fun!
EllisCoAg
AG
Just discovered this thread, great knowledge all around, without reading the whole thing, anyone been to the Revolver brewery in Granbury? Really like the Blood & Honey, thanks and I will hang up and listen.
La Fours
AG
Welcome, geno. There are several posters who are fans of Revolver. I haven't had any of their beers since I live in College Station
The Beer and I
I haven't been to Revolver, but I've had the Blood & Honey. Not usually a big fan of wheat beers, but that one is REALLY good.

I just got 10 day prescription for a staph infection, looks like I'll be drinking BSD style for the next week and a half.
txagbq00
I'm looking to get started in beer trading, and I wonder if the experienced traders have thoughts on the following proposed trade of Jester King sour beers for some Michigan beer not available in TX:

JK Atrial, JK RU-55, and a JK Black Metal or Funk Metal

for

2 Bell's Black Note, 2 Bell's Expedition, 2 Dark Horse Plead the Fifth, 2 Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout, and 2 New Holland Dragons Milk
aggiejz
AG
A few quick thoughts amidst brewery hopping..

Blood & Honey is a great beer. The only other Revolver I've had is the Mothers Little Fracker which I thought was decent.

As for that trade, some folks may know better than I would but in terms of value my thought is that seems relatively fair.
Hub05
AG
quote:
I'm looking to get started in beer trading, and I wonder if the experienced traders have thoughts on the following proposed trade of Jester King sour beers for some Michigan beer not available in TX:

for
2 Bell's Black Note, 2 Bell's Expedition, 2 Dark Horse Plead the Fifth, 2 Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout, and 2 New Holland Dragons Milk

This offer is too light on the Michigan side. I have had all but the blueberry and while they are good, these are shelf beers besides the BN. Plus Atrial > 2 BN
BSD
AG
Ordered me some snifters today:

La Fours
AG
Thanks Collin!!!

This is another excellent JK beer.

La Fours
AG
quote:
quote:

for

This offer is too light on the Michigan side. I have had all but the blueberry and while they are good, these are shelf beers besides the BN. Plus Atrial > 2 BN

I would agree with Hub's statement. I'm not very experienced as a trader though. JK sours should fetch other limited release beers of similar quality.
maca1028
quote:
Ordered me some snifters today:

I think I'm about to do the same. Was hoping to find the blue lettering though.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Odell Tree Shaker to end the weekend. Pretty nice - the peach flavor is pretty subtle and it is very smooth for a 10.1% beer.
NColoradoAG
quote:

for

I agree with Hub and La Fours. It's a decent quantity of beer, but I'd be looking for some more limited stuff. Maybe replace one of the regular plead the fifth with the bourbon barrel treatment. Atrial alone would probably trade for a couple black note and a bourbon barrel plead the fifth.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Welcome Geno!

The Revolver Bock is another delicious offering of theirs. A friend of mine lives by the brewery and says its a ton of fun. I haven't made it out there yet, but I plan to go soon.

Finally got around to trying the Myrcenary tonight and it is fantastic. It's way too smooth for that high of an abv because I could easily drink 3+ of those pretty quickly. Also tried the Rubaeus tonight for the first time, and it was pretty great as well. A little sweet, but my wife loved it, which I think has never happened before.

First Page Last Page
Page 439 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.