Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,654,852 Views | 62635 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by swampstander
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
62strat
posted 6:26p, 04/07/14

Having a trinity pappy legba. A saison coming in at 13%. Dang I would never guess it, very little alcohol on the tongue.

Had one at the brewery last night as well. What did you think of it? I wasn't overly impressed. In fact the only beer of theirs that I've had and truly like is the Red Swingline.

I thought it was very well balanced. No way I'd guess it was 13%. It wasn't sweet and it didn't taste like alcohol.. so that's definitely a testament to its balance.
La Fours
AG
quote:
If you are dead set on trying some new pales ales, and JK stuff is your only ammo, trade for Hill Farmstead growlers.

I didn't think about people shipping growlers. What's entailed with shipping something like that? Do they have to be shipped cold and second day type stuff?
NColoradoAG
Hill Farmstead growlers are the only ones I've ever traded for, and I've only traded for the 750mL ones. They don't require much additional shipping care. It's just like trading for any other hoppy beer, you just want to make sure whomever is getting them for you gets them fresh. Other than that, they just need to be shipped upright (but I've had them sent on their side and they were fine), and taped around the cap pretty well. HF uses swing tops so they seal well. They are also counter pressure filled so they last a decent amount of time. I've kept one for a month and it was perfectly fine. They have ephraim and double citra on tap right now. Definitely two of the best DIPAs I've ever had.

Trading for HF is a *****, but worth it. JK stuff would probably get it done. You wont be getting a quantity of anything, just the best damn ipas you'll ever try. You just need the right person to see it because not many people get up there and you can only fill 3 growlers these days.

[This message has been edited by ncoloradoag (edited 4/8/2014 11:25a).]
aggiejz
AG
Swingtop growlers definitely travel well. I made it from Houston to Paris with one in my bag (obviously taped & packed effectively) with no problems.

[This message has been edited by aggiejz (edited 4/8/2014 12:16p).]
Jegan14
AG
The College Station Spec's on Texas has KBS. I just picked one up. I'm excited because I've never had it before.
defroach
Houston people: If I was to go up to Houston on a quick brewery tour, what area of town do you recommend I stay? Probably something close to a good beer bar (which beer bar?) or to a brewery open later.

I never go to Houston and decided that it may be worth my time to give some breweries down there a shot.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Stay near 290/610 somewhere. Go to Karbach. Petrol Station, Cottonwood, D&T, Hughies, Cedar Creek and Hubcap Grill all serve good beer and are all around the area (Heights).
aggiejz
AG
I'm gonna disagree there. I'd go to Buffalo Bayou instead of Karbach as my brewery choice. Just my two cents, but for me you're not only getting more bang for your buck but you're also getting better beers.

I'd look for something in the Galleria area maybe. I don't know a ton about hotels and such around, but Galleria area still wouldn't put you too far from the likes of Petrol/Cottonwood, Heights area stuff like Cedar Creek, and even down Westheimer to Hay Merchant. It's also not far from Buffalo Bayou or - should you choose - Karbach.

Note - if you're not going on a Saturday, your brewery options will be limited. And if you are going on a Saturday be sure to check brewery hours - most are open in the 11-3 time frame.

[This message has been edited by Aggiejz (edited 4/8/2014 1:04p).]
defroach
Thanks for that.

I keep this google doc up to date with brewery tours:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnWkkVrImx3qdFNQRVhuejhCSDZ5TllveFZsX0toTXc&usp=drive_web

So I am planning around it. I would actually get in around lunchtime on Friday, go to St. Arnolds, then hit up the Karbach Friday HH, then on Saturday hit up Buffalo Bayou and maybe No Label or Lone Pint on my way out.

So, the main focus would be a hotel for Friday after I go to Karbach and then being able to walk to a bar from my hotel.
aggiejz
AG
Sounds like a solid plan. And I actually have that spreadsheet bookmarked! Didn't realize that was you. That's awesome, so thanks for that.

As for walking from your hotel to a good beer bar... That might be a little challenging. I'll see if I can think of any options but off the top of my head I can't recall any hotels in walking distance of Petrol Station, Hay Merchant, Cottonwood, D&T or anything else of the like. Actually, there is technically a hotel right by D&T but I'd absolutely not recommend staying there. I suppose maybe downtown (Flying Saucer) could be an option.
AggieOO
Limited exposure to buffalo bayou, but their beer wasn't very good.
aggiejz
AG
We can agree to disagree cuz I'd say the same about Karbach right now.
BSD
AG
not this **** again.
aggiejz
AG
At the end of the day all Houston beer sucks anyways.
defroach
Ha...I will hit up both Karbach and Buffalo Bayou to cover it all just in case.

Yeah, I may just use a taxi then. I would prefer not going to the Flying Saucer just because...but I will probably get close enough to Petrol Station for a hotel
AggieOO
didn't realize we'd had a karbach vs buffalo bayou argument. just thought it had been hashed out a 1000 times that Saint A sucks.
spadilly
S
The Sheraton Brookhollow would be a decent place to stay if you want to be near Petrol and Karbach.
62strat
AG
quote:
I keep this google doc up to date with brewery tours:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnWkkVrImx3qdFNQRVhuejhCSDZ5TllveFZsX0toTXc&usp=drive_web

hey.... Can you make one of those for the Front Range area?
dave99ag
AG
Just to confirm, there's not much of a craft beer scene in Vegas, right? Staying at the Mandarin Oriental near Aria for a few days.
62strat
AG
Dave, check beermapping.com website. It shows breweries, brewpubs and beer bars.

txaggie05
AG
Dave,

I was in Vegas weekend before last and I was pleasantly surprised by some of the new places there with craft beer since i was last there in September. There's a Yard House at The Linq (where the giant wheel is) that had a pretty good selection with 150+ taps. I scored a Bourbon County Barleywine there.

There is also a craft beer bar at The Quad called TAG I think. They had 150+ bottles available and it wasn't stupid expensive.
defroach
quote:
hey.... Can you make one of those for the Front Range area?

By front range, I am assuming you mean the Denver area? So something like this?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnWkkVrImx3qdFBjd3FjYWNWQm1kRXNjeE9nQXZLd2c&usp=sharing

(I made it for the GABF so it has not been updated since October)

Hell, while we are at it, here is St. Louis:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnWkkVrImx3qdDVHM2FwQzlVaU1wWHZ1dEhkSk9kVnc&usp=sharing

Portland:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnWkkVrImx3qdEl6ekM5bloySHAxNjJhMlI3OUE1V0E&usp=sharing

[This message has been edited by defroach (edited 4/8/2014 7:31p).]
The Beer and I
Broke out a little something for a birthday present to myself.
jah003
S
quote:

Very nice! I've had a grand total of 4 oz. of Cantillon in my lifetime and it was delightful...
jh0400
AG
Supplication
The Beer and I
quote:
quote:

Very nice! I've had a grand total of 4 oz. of Cantillon in my lifetime and it was delightful...

This one was awesome. My wife brought back 3 bottles from Australia and this was the first one I've had.
62strat
AG
Hell yeh defroach.. that's what I'm talking about!
aggiejz
AG
Dangit I wish I'd seen that STL one when I was up there in the fall before the Mizzou game. I hit more than a few of those places, but ran out of time (and sobriety) on getting to as many as I'd hoped.

I think I'll try and make a spreadsheet like that for San Fran area since I'll be out there later this month..
army01
AG
Last night's beer was a big boy beer:

maca1028
RU55 is back on the menu at JK this weekend
La Fours
AG
I saw that. Those *******s.

Does this kind of ISO:FT happen very often?

http://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/iso-beat-3l-ft-bcbs-sixtel-pvw-23-yr.8711/
La Fours
AG
Who wants to grab me a couple of bottles of RU55 and Boxer's Revenge this weekend?
La Fours
AG
I'll paypal the money today for someone.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
I saw that. Those *******s.

Does this kind of ISO:FT happen very often?

http://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/iso-beat-3l-ft-bcbs-sixtel-pvw-23-yr.8711/

WTF. Like 4rill WTF.
Ags #1
AG
What does that mean?
First Page Last Page
Page 426 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.