Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,645,608 Views | 62620 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by Chipotlemonger
Bock for Breakfast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
The hoarders have made trying get these beers impossible.

I’m calling BS here. I went on my lunch break and picked up 4 KBS bottles and 2 more bottles on my way home. I am no one particularly special in the beer world, either. And please don’t tell me having a 6 pack of 12 oz beer makes me a “hoarder”. The most committed wins when it comes to these types of releases. You make a few phone calls, ask the right questions, take some notes, be nice to the people in the beer departments, have a plan, and voila! There were 3 stores that had KBS in my area for 4-5 hours until they were sold out.
quote:
There is enough good beer out there to drink and not have to stand in line for an hour to get it.

This sounds like sour grapes. I stood in line for 20 minutes at one location. The others, I walked in and claimed my bottle or two just like asking for a pair of shoes in my size. Here you go, sir. Yes, there is enough good beer out there to not mess with this process, I agree. But you are kidding yourself if you think beers like KBS aren’t a cut above good.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
People hoarded regular Breakfast Stout in Houston when first introduced.
jah003
S
quote:
I have no problem standing in line for a brewery only release. That makes sense. But standing in line at some liquor store for a bottle or two of KBS seems nuts. Hoarding a bunch of KBS doesn't make sense either unless you REALLY love it. It doesn't age or trade well so I don't see the point.

Totally agree... I've stood in line at JK before, but I got Atrial, Tempranillo, and MVB for my troubles. Delicious beer that trades extremely well.

I'm lucky enough to live in Austin where picking up a 4 pack of KBS was relatively easy. Thank goodness for hipsters and their love for PBR.
Ags #1
AG
Good for you, and nobody ever said KBS and bcbs etc is not a cut above everything else. Just saying there are other quality beers out there that you can walk right into a store and get without having to wait an hour to get.

What part of Houston do you love in because finding this stuff in the city is not an easy task.
maca1028
NColoradoAG
quote:
The most committed wins when it comes to these types of releases.

I agree with most of your statement above, but these are the kind of statements that rustle my jimmies a bit. You shouldn't have to "be committed" or "win" to get a beer that you want to try. Some beers you do have to go to the extreme to find, but that is because theyre truly rare. I'm sure KBS is spread thin, but there should be a bottle or two out there for every beer geek in Houston. You shouldn't have to take a long lunch, skip work, or drive all over town to track down two bottles of ****ing KBS. Your statement makes me think you'd be singing a different tune if you had struck out on getting some KBS.

[This message has been edited by ncoloradoag (edited 4/4/2014 3:02p).]
La Fours
AG
That's some serious beer mail maca. Those Alchemist one offs are extremely limited.
BSD
AG
Arthur is delicious as well.
Bock for Breakfast
AG
quote:
I agree with most of your statement above, but these are the kind of statements that rustle my jimmies a bit.

I apologize if that came off wrong. I should have said:
I wanted KBS to personally drink and share with friends over the next 8-12 months.
I made a plan to acquire KBS as I knew it would probably sell fast.
I purchased KBS.
quote:
You shouldn't have to "be committed" or "win" to get a beer that you want to try. Some beers you do have to go to the extreme to find, but that is because theyre truly rare. I'm sure KBS is spread thin, but there should be a bottle or two out there for every beer geek in Houston.

So much wrong with all of this. First off, we are lucky to even get KBS in Texas seeing as it is a very long way from Grand Rapids, MI. There is far more supply than demand and Founders is not going to move the price to $17 a bottle to calm that demand down. The supply and demand economics of this are not unfair; it’s just what they are. Now you feel like every beer geek in Houston deserves one? Based on what? No, you shouldn’t have to be high-level committed to get this. But if you truly want it, that’s might be what it takes. I don’t make the freaking rules, I just play. I also understand the difference between truly rare beers. You can see earlier in the thread I acquired a bottle of 2012 BCBS today.
quote:
You shouldn't have to take a long lunch, skip work, or drive all over town to track down two bottles of ****ing KBS.

I agree.
quote:
Your statement makes me think you'd be signing a different tune if you had struck out on getting some KBS.

I wasn’t going to strike out. I didn’t read about it on twitter on Thursday night and say to myself “I’ll grab one Friday after work.” I made a very loose plan, but a plan nonetheless.

[This message has been edited by Bock for Breakfast (edited 4/4/2014 3:23p).]
maca1028
I was pretty excited about those, I haven't had anything from alchemist yet so this was a win for me!

I will agree that the craze in Houston for some of these releases is a bit ridiculous, but that's just the way it is unfortunately. I'm not going to jump in line for every "limited release," but in this case it worked out with my schedule. I really like KBS, had my first bottle through trade last month so I had no problem giving up an hour of my morning picking some up from a couple of stores. Would I like to just walk in grab a 4 pk and walk out with no line, absolutely! That's just not the case down here. With that being said I'm certainly not going to bring an entourage with me for bragging rights, most of my friends are refinery workers that don't have time to run around Houston in a BMW for every release.

[This message has been edited by maca1028 (edited 4/4/2014 3:24p).]
maca1028
I really want to sit on that petit mutant for a few months but I've heard they're best consumed fresh, thoughts?
The Beer and I
quote:
I really want to sit on that petit mutant for a few months but I've heard they're best consumed fresh, thoughts?

I don't know, give me one and I'll let you know what I think!

As far as releases go, Houston does not get much beer for a city of 5 million people. You either need to run around town chasing after a bottle or 2, wait in line, or apparently have an expertly crafted plan. It would be nice if you could walk in after work to grab some, but that's not how it works. If it's worth it to you, put the effort into acquiring it, but I'm tired of hearing all of the *****ing about how the beer is released.

There's no perfect way for limited releases to reach everyone that wants it. At the end of the day, it's just beer and there's always good beer available somewhere.
NColoradoAG
quote:
First off, we are lucky to even get KBS in Texas seeing as it is a very long way from Grand Rapids, MI.

Distance has no bearing in distribution of KBS. It goes all over Founders' distribution footprint in very large quantities.

quote:
There is far more supply than demand

You have those backwards.

quote:

and Founders is not going to move the price to $17 a bottle to calm that demand down.

Founders does not care about how easy or hard it is to obtain their beer as long as it sells. An economic argument could be made, as with all other limited releases, that the beers are underpriced. Founders could probably charge upwards of $35-40 per four pack and sell it all.

quote:
the supply and demand economics of this are not unfair; it’s just what they are.

I did not say it was unfair. I said the people waiting in lines is crazy to me for such a relatively large release.

quote:

Now you feel like every beer geek in Houston deserves one? Based on what?

Based on the fact they make a **** ton of KBS.

quote:

I also understand the difference between truly rare beers. You can see earlier in the thread I acquired a bottle of 2012 BCBS today.

2012 bcbs is not a rare beer.

I have no skin in this game. We don't get founders here and I don't think KBS is a particularly great beer. Maybe that's part of my problem. I was just simply making some observations about the KBS release in Houston.
AggieOO
quote:
I don't think KBS is a particularly great beer.

someone agrees with me. finally.
The Beer and I
quote:
quote:
I don't think KBS is a particularly great beer.

someone agrees with me. finally.

It is pretty much universally thought of as a great beer. You may think it's not worth the hype or trouble to get, but saying it's not great is a little questionable.
AggieOO
oh, sorry. i thought i could have an opinion.
NColoradoAG
I love a game of beer semantics. I don't think KBS is great. I think it is good. Which means it is above average. It is not as great as BCBCS.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG (edited 4/4/2014 5:02p).]
The Beer and I
quote:
oh, sorry. i thought i could have an opinion.

Everyone is entightled to their own opinion, even if it's wrong.

But seriously, great is a relative term, and if you don't like it, that just means there is more for me. Just curious and not trying to be a dick, but what do you consider great beers?
AggieOO
i would agree with the above assessment if i were allowed to have an opinion.
BSD
AG
All we need now is a top 10 list!
Bock for Breakfast
AG
quote:
Distance has no bearing in distribution of KBS. It goes all over Founders' distribution footprint in very large quantities.

Until April 2013, Founders did not distribute in Texas. This will be the second time Texans could have a local crack at KBS, or the first time for those who missed out. Could add to the rush.
quote:
You have those backwards.

Thanks for your help.
quote:
An economic argument could be made, as with all other limited releases, that the beers are underpriced

Absolutely. What I am saying is, an argument could be made that more people would be able to buy 1 or 2 bottles if the "hoarders" weren't willing to buy 8-12 and distribution quantity remained the same.
quote:
I said the people waiting in lines is crazy to me for such a relatively large release.
The largest Ben E. Keith store by volume in DFW received 4 cases of 24. Some other stores received 1 or 2 cases. Now strip out what the employees and VIPs got. What would qualify as a small release? Like I said earlier, the beer lasted at some places for up to 5 hours.
quote:
Based on the fact they make a **** ton of KBS.
Texas isn't seeing a **** ton. Not sure where you got your information.
quote:
2012 bcbs is not a rare beer.

Maybe rare was the wrong word. Much harder to locate than 2014 KBS. Happy?

[This message has been edited by Bock for Breakfast (edited 4/4/2014 5:55p).]
NColoradoAG
I need a beer.
AggieOO
and that is something we can all agree on!
The Beer and I
quote:
and that is something we can all agree on!

Agreed!
We need to have a night like we did back on page 200, where everyone broke out something awesome. I don't want to wait to page 500 though, anyone have a suggestion?
BSD
AG
April 25th. I think that's the sacred day of beer or something like that.
AggieOO
I'm the first to admit that my tastes are probably different than most on here. I don't like sours, and IPAs are never my first choice. I love the big, malty belgians and I'm a fan of a lot of different styles of wheat.

Some of my favorite beers that aren't really limited production type beers are: Tank 7, Spotted Cow, Stone Soup, Anderson Valley Summer Solstice, Delerium, Chimay (Blue), Blood & Honey, Left Hand Milk Stout.

and btw - i don't think KBS is terrible by any means. Its good, but its not one that I'll drop everything and go track down. If there was a bottle on the shelf and it wasn't $10+, I'd pick it up.

[This message has been edited by AggieOO (edited 4/4/2014 7:37p).]
The Beer and I
I've only had Tank 7, Blood and Honey, and Chimey and those are all awesome. Part of the problem (and greatness) of ranking beer is the variety of the styles. I love them all, just depends on what's available and what kind of mood I'm in.

ETA: BSD, the 25th works for me, let's do it!

[This message has been edited by The Beer and I (edited 4/4/2014 8:24p).]
MW03
AG
Having a Clownshoes Undead Party Crasher
aggiejz
AG
Holy jeebus there are a lot of words on this page. Can I request a TL;DR please?
txaggie05
AG
I humbly had a St. Lupulin tonight. It was tasty.

And I'm giving up on tracking down beers and buying bombers in general. Breweries are putting out so many good beers nowadays that it's not worth the cost or the effort. If I happen across something and feel like throwing down the cash, I will.

[This message has been edited by txaggie05 (edited 4/4/2014 9:24p).]
Green Fairy
AG
Can we strike page 422 from the record shiz got whack.

Knee Deep Simtra earlier tonight. Gonna knock out a Myrcenary momentarily.
MW03
AG
Anyone had this undead before? It's intense.
Ags #1
AG
Mycenary is the shiit. In my opinion one of the best double IPAs out there
La Fours
AG
I had a good beer day. A good friend brought me a bottle of 512 wbdpp, Odell Tree Shaker, and a KBS. Hopefully BCS gets some KBS this week. I, for one really enjoy KBS.
La Fours
AG
quote:
Mycenary is the shiit. In my opinion one of the best double IPAs out there

You are not wrong.
First Page Last Page
Page 422 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.