Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,675,015 Views | 62646 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Jock 07
Marooned_n_Aggieland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
While on the beer glass discussion, post a picture of your favorite / most interesting beer glass. I'm thinking more shape over emblem but you are the judge for what you like best.

For me, I think last years Rahr Iron Thistle is my design favorite. My German hefeweizen glasses are probably next.

bonfirewillburn
AG
only 2..<black eye>...gave one to the builder...

We knew how good Damnation is, wanted to try new things, i think CO is outta beer for this week....we did our job!

[This message has been edited by bonfirewillburn (edited 2/21/2012 5:51p).]
turfman80
AG
Opening an Alpine Pure Hoppiness
txag2008
AG
I've seen various Rahr and St Arnold's glasses posted on here. Where are y'all getting those from?
BSD
AG
quote:

I'll finally get to try their beers in August. Just booked a San Diego trip! How is it?
aggiespartan
AG
not sure what I'll be drinking tonight...it's probably either going to be Rogue John John Ale aged in spruce gin barrels or a mango weizen

[This message has been edited by aggiespartan (edited 2/21/2012 6:45p).]
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG

I'm always a fan of the Sam Adams glasses.

Mighty Oak Ale was decent. Very sweet.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG

I'm also a good fan of these.

[This message has been edited by mbole11 (edited 2/21/2012 6:50p).]
Jock 07
AG
Had a hop czar tonight that I brought back with me from my Ski trip to Big Sky this past weekend. Not a huge fan; I'd give it a Meh
62strat
AG
quote:
I've seen various Rahr and St Arnold's glasses posted on here. Where are y'all getting those from?
many ways. Go to a beer dinner or beer event where they are tapping some beer, usually have give aways. Buy one, take one, ask for one from a bar. Pub crawl.
turfman80
AG
quote:

"I'll finally get to try their beers in August. Just booked a San Diego trip! How is it?"

Alpine brews are supreme! You are in for a treat in August. They are on par with RR.

[This message has been edited by turfman80 (edited 2/21/2012 7:15p).]
army01
AG
I've gotten rahr glasses either taking a tour at the brewery or from the Saucer
jetch17
AG
i find my various smaller tasting glasses from Saint A & Karbach tours getting used more to sip from.

My go to glass is the Saint Arnold goblet i got at the 16th anniv party, youll see that in most of my pics.

Also a fan of the .5L Saint A oktoberfest glass for chuggin.

When im feeling like a pimp ill use my chalice they gave out at the Saint A anniv party last year. Needless to say after participating in several Saint A events over the last few years, ive accrued a bit of glassware. Its a shame theyre one of my least favorites now....

[This message has been edited by jetch17 (edited 2/21/2012 7:58p).]
BSD
AG
My favorite glass...das boot!!!!

Marooned_n_Aggieland
BSD brings the Bavarian booty! Another other country do the glass boot thing? There's some history behind that glass style.

Tonight's offering.

And bringin' the 2012 Iron Thistle glass .. uh .. to boot!

I need to poke around and see if Rahr has shown what the 2012 Bucking Bock glass will be.
jah003
S
Having a Deschutes Black Butte Porter tonight. Really can't go wrong with that selection...

[This message has been edited by jah003 (edited 2/21/2012 8:54p).]
NColoradoAG

Prep for my first Younger tapping of the year. Tomorrow night should be fun.

BSD best summed up this father-son duo on page 37.
army01
AG
Tonight's choice -- 2010 DFH Burton Baton in the "off-centered ales for off-centered people" glass

Marooned_n_Aggieland
Alright BEER board, what's the verdict on this offering?

Hit it or quit it?
DonaldFDraper
AG
Hit it.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Beer board game... Anyone notice anything funny in this pic?

Jock 07
AG
A double IPA out of MT that I brought back with me last weekend. Not too bad for only 8 bucks for the sixer.

Oh yeah props to Jetch for the glassware; Along with my Sam Adams glasses it's my favorite beer glass that I own

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 2/22/2012 9:46p).]
wasabi1787
AG
Ooh Big Sky Breweries!

Was in Wyoming in January and was killing some Moose Drool and Big Sky IPA.

GREAT BEER. Hell, all of the microbrews up there were amazing.
Jock 07
AG
actually it's not big sky brewery; it's madison river brewery in belgrade. I'm not a big fan of the big sky brewery beers, especially the moose drool. I am however, a huge fan of Lone Peak's IPA, which is actually brewed by Lone Peak in Big Sky MT
spadilly
S
Green Flash West Coast IPA night!!!

and mrs spadilly is out in SanFran this week for business. Told her to come back with some Pliny the Elder for me.
wasabi1787
AG
Jock-

I was responding to Marooned's post on the top of the page. Sorry for the confusion.

And you're crazy. lol
Jock 07
AG
Whoops
62strat
AG
quote:
Beer board game... Anyone notice anything funny in this pic?

ale in texas..

not anymore

funny I was at baker st. last night, and they had a big ad for bud light platinum lager.. same thing, ale in texas.. and actually, this said ale in texas and oklahoma. OK must have some weird laws as well.

I'm impressed with baker st. They've totally revamped their beer focus. They used to be all generic europe styles: stella, heineken, carlsburg, newcastle, bass, harp, etc.. you get the picture. Basically the EU macros. Last night I noticed more focus on american craft. They had several new belgium on tap, fat tire, belgo, 1554, they had karbachs, southern star, boulevard single wide, and some good bottles too, like black butte porter.. can't remember the others.. but anyway, they def. changed their focus from europe macros to american craft.
IronRed13
AG
quote:
OK must have some weird laws as well.

Its the reason you have "OK+" written on most bottles. It indicates the beer is above 3.2% ABV and therefore cannot be sold refrigerated or in grocery stores. I present for your imagination that bud, miller, coors all water down their products even further to allow a larger marker...

Because of the lack of refrigeration, a lot of breweries avoid the state altogether. I have a Navy friend stationed at Tinker that either buys his beer at the Commissary where its allowed to be sold cold at higher ABV, or he waits for when I visit and bring a truck load of DogFish, Stone, and about $250 worth of other beer worth drinking

62strat
AG
yeh lots of states have 3.2 laws.. but why would you have to call a particular lager an ale in OK? texas has the crazy law that they call anything above 4.0 abw or whatever an ale, when in reality, ale and lager have nothing to do with strength.
NColoradoAG
Wow, didn't know all this about Texas. Please elaborate.

So any refrigerated beer in Texas must be 3.2, even at a liquor store? What's the deal with calling everything ale?
62strat
AG
no texas is not a 3.2 state.. OK is, along with some others. For most states that are 3.2, the beer sold in grocery stores and such has to be 3.2$ ABW (4% ABV).. refrigeration has nothing to do with it. To get full strength beer, it is only sold at a liquor store. However in OK, they have the refrigeration clause.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-alcohol_beer#Low-point_beer_.283.2.25.29

Colorado was a 3.2 state, not sure the status now..
some reading:
http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2008/02/last_call_for_32_beer.php
http://www.denverpost.com/legislature/ci_17561135

But the ale/lager thing; TABC had weird laws for labeling. Anything over like 4% ABV had to be called an ale. Well, in the real world, ale has nothing to do with strength, it's simply one of two types of beer, the other being lager. So it was a stupid law that didn't make sense, and makers of lagers that were strong had to have a different label, or the disclaimer, to show that in texas, this is an ale, not a lager.

However, they recently overturned this, so this is no longer the case. In the same recent change, breweries are now allowed to publish on their website where their beer is served.. Up until now, they could not do this.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 2/23/2012 12:51p).]

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 2/23/2012 12:56p).]
jbennett13
AG
I'm thought that the ABV laws in TX had to do with +/- 5.0%.

Where ABV <= 5.0% could be labeled as BEER ex. Bud Light is called "BEER" on the bottle) and ABV > 5.0% is referred to either Malt Liquor or Cooler or "ICE".

However, this could all easily be wrong.
62strat
AG
I did mess up, I said 4% abv, I mean abw, which = 5% abv.

Anyway, I believe the labeling laws state:
If abv is <5% it is labeled 'beer'
If a lager abv is >5%, it is labeled 'ale' (Proof shown above on the samuel adams box, and the new bud light platinum)
If an ale abv is >5%, it is labeled 'malt liquor'.

This all of course has been overturned, thank god, it was ridiculous.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 2/23/2012 4:02p).]
gordo97
AG
just got back from a business trip in europe........ had a whole lot of these

First Page Last Page
Page 41 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.