Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,569,144 Views | 62489 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by La Fours
Atty_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We probably crossed paths. This trip, we only went in the park one day. The rest of the time was spent in kid activities like relaxing at the house, shooting model rockets, collecting rocks, and seeing the dinosaur bones. Didn't even ride once.
AggieOO
we were only in the park 2.5 days and then headed to Marfa for a couple days. Took some newbies, so kept the hiking pretty tame.

and totally off topic, do you guys still ride from BSS on sunday mornings?

[This message has been edited by AggieOO (edited 3/18/2014 10:09a).]
Atty_Ag
I don't since it's too far. I live in Bee Cave so don't feel like driving 45 minutes up 620 to ride. Once in a blue moon I'll head up there. The official team ride is from Caffe Yolly on Avery Ranch on Saturdays at 8:00 and some guys still ride from BSS on Sundays at 8:00, just not listed as an official ride, though BSS hosts it every week. If you tell me a weekend you're coming, I'll meet you up there.
jah003
S
Looks like Blakkr is starting to hit Austin... Word on the street is it's $17.99 a 4 pack. I don't care how metal it is, 18 bucks a four pack for a black IPA is insane!
NColoradoAG
Black ipa's
AggieOO
Close to what burton baton is.
AggieOO
Or a bud light at hamricks.
La Fours
AG
quote:
Looks like Blakkr is starting to hit Austin... Word on the street is it's $17.99 a 4 pack. I don't care how metal it is, 18 bucks a four pack for a black IPA is insane!

Wtf?!?!? That's insane. Looks like I won't be trying that one.
La Fours
AG
A friend of mine just texted me this screen shot.

jetch17
AG
Nice. BRC had abyss on tap yesterday, but I couldn't be belligerent for the afternoon
turfman80
AG
Enjoying BCBCS for the first time. Extremely nice!
jah003
S
Ok... just talked with my beer guy. I guess Real Ale was originally going to release these in 6 packs and HEB didn't get the memo that they changed them to 4. It should drop to 11.99 or so in the next few days... still pricey, though.
CollinAB
AG
That sounds a little bit better. $18 was gonna be way out of my price range.
La Fours
AG
Damn. That's still high. But not too high that I won't buy a 4 pack.
aggiejz
AG
So, Thrillist put together a "Top 10 Texas Breweries" list as voted on by their panel of "experts". Thoughts? My initial ones are that No Label has no business being on there, Karbach is too high, and Real Ale is too low. And it's criminal to not include Hops & Grain and, probably, Lone Pint.

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/austin/best-craft-breweries-in-texas-thrillist-austin?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social-media&utm_content=Ranking%20the%20best%20breweries%20in%20Texas&ref=twitter-869
DallasAggie2012
AG
Completely agree with you on those points. Real Ale should be a couple spots higher, Hops and Grain should absolutely be on there, and No Label should at least be lower.

I personally think leaving Lakewood off the list is criminal because I believe they put out the best beers in Dallas. Hard to pass on putting Community, Live Oak, or 512 on there too. This list is so much harder to make now than it would have been just 2 years ago now.
The Beer and I
What the list really does is show the quality (actually the lack of) breweries in Texas. I very rarely buy anything from the places on this list since so many more breweries have become available here.
big-ag
AG
Never had anything from Freetail, No Label, or Austin Beerworks. Hard to imagine them being better than Community and Lakewood though. Guess I need to seek them out since the Internet says they are good.
jh0400
AG
I've never had anything worth a **** from No Label. Otherwise, I expect that list like that would have JK at the top spot and then a lot of regional bias.
jah003
S
quote:
So, Thrillist put together a "Top 10 Texas Breweries" list as voted on by their panel of "experts". Thoughts? My initial ones are that No Label has no business being on there, Karbach is too high, and Real Ale is too low. And it's criminal to not include Hops & Grain and, probably, Lone Pint.

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/austin/best-craft-breweries-in-texas-thrillist-austin?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social-media&utm_content=Ranking%20the%20best%20breweries%20in%20Texas&ref=twitter-869

IMO... No Label should have no business being on any "best of" list ever. I've had every one of their beers and they were all "meh" or "below meh". JK on top is right where they should be... Nobody is Texas is doing what JK is right now. You're right, H&G should be in there somewhere... Heck, I'd even put Adelberts in my top 10.
aggiejz
AG
quote:
Hard to imagine them being better than Community and Lakewood though.

I'll qualify what I'm about to say by admitting that I've only had a couple of beers from each of these 2 breweries. And, while I do think they're both good, I'd put Austin Beerworks ahead of them if for no other reason than the beers they've done with their Heavy Machinery series. Those have been fantastic.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
I've never had anything worth a **** from No Label. Otherwise, I expect that list like that would have JK at the top spot and then a lot of regional bias.

The only thing I've had from No Label that made me say "Wow." was Perpetual Peace. I liked it better than Bishop's Barrel 5 and only slightly less than Backwoods *******. Terrific beer, but agree that they shouldn't be on the list.

I wouldn't put Lone Pint on there either. Aside from Yellow Rose, I don't see enough from them to warrant a top ten brewery designation. That could obviously change going forward though.
The Beer and I
ABW has some good stuff. Their Heavy Machinery haven't all been great, but some are really good. Freetail does some good stuff too, I highly recommend stopping at their brewpub if you are in San Antonio. I've had some Community and Lakewood beers and thought they were good. The fact is, I just haven't had enough of either brewery to say where they should be ranked (besides above NL).

Anytime you have lists made up of regional products, you will have regional bias. What I think most of us would agree with is JK is #1, No Label is severely overrated, Real Ale is underrated, and your favorite regional beer is missing from the list.
aggiejz
AG
quote:
Aside from Yellow Rose, I don't see enough from them to warrant a top ten brewery designation.

Their most recent SMaSH beer - the Zythophile El Dorado - I thought was very good. I also think 667 is a solid IPA as well. I personally like Tornado Shark well enough, and the hoppy version of Lily & Seamus (as opposed to the one with kumquats) wasn't bad for a wheat beer.

Fact is, for me, when you make what was essentially one of the best beers in Texas in the last year, you get to be on a Top 10 list. Just my opinion though.

[This message has been edited by aggiejz (edited 3/19/2014 4:45p).]
big-ag
AG
I guess the best news from the article was there was no mention of Shiner except in the reader comments.
BSD
AG
St Arnold's is ass. /Jetch
The Beer and I
Texas beer, Stone, and BSD and his illegal california buddy are ass/ Phischy
DonaldFDraper
AG
Four Corners in Dallas to start canning...

http://dallas.eater.com/archives/2014/03/19/four-corners-gets-canned-bubble-soccer-at-social-house.php
army01
AG
Deep Ellum belongs no where on that list.
Diamond Geezer
uh, where is Live Oak on that list?
Diamond Geezer
I also agree with the guys on the previous page raving about Big Bend Brewing #22 Porter. I loved having that on tap in Alpine, Marathon, and Marfa when I was there about a years ago. I wish they had distribution in one of the bigger cities in Texas.

The guy who started BBB is from Live Oak.
Kyle98
AG
Picked up a bourbon barrel aged Old Rasputin at the Whip In in Flower Mound this afternoon. Can't wait to open it up!
cc10106
ABW DIPA* is doing the trick for me tonight.

*heavy machinery

[This message has been edited by cc10106 (edited 3/19/2014 8:54p).]
clobby
AG
quote:
Deep Ellum belongs no where on that list.

I agree. Live Oak should be up there.
Jock 07
AG

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 3/19/2014 8:52p).]
First Page Last Page
Page 409 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.