Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,569,055 Views | 62489 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by La Fours
Green Fairy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BSD, more info on city acre por favor...I'd lime to check it out if its open to the public. Only a couple more weeks(at best) until baby GF is born so I need to cram as much beer time in as I can.
army01
AG
Wild Hare, St. Arnold's Winter Stout so far. Don't think I am too high on either. Could take them or leave them.
army01
AG
on to the Kona Koko Brown Ale....the Coconut definitely pops out, but I'm not sure I am going to be able to finish this one. It is a little too much for me.

...okay, so I'll finish it, but then I'm gonig to bed.
BSD
AG
quote:
BSD, more info on city acre por favor...I'd lime to check it out if its open to the public. Only a couple more weeks(at best) until baby GF is born so I need to cram as much beer time in as I can.

They are not open to the public yet and unfortunately I didn't get a chance to ask when distribution would begin. I'll send them an email and find out. Your best bet to taste their beers is to keep up with their Facebook page and look for the next "random" drawing for the next party. I put quotes because next to my name on the invite list it mentioned that I was an Open the Taps donor so I guess membership has its privileges!

The place was interesting. It was basically at the corner of 59 and Parker. The out of place home sits next to a large metal shed where they brew. It's very small scale and there wasn't a lot of equipment in there. Honestly it looked like an elaborate home brew setup.

I was a bit worried pulling up. The area was rather...ghetto. After we almost hit some chickens and some other large bird (turkey, ostrich, I don't know), we went inside and I prayed my car would be there when we came out. They were great hosts though. The served an awesome lunch and dessert for about 50-60 people. My only complaint...they are sips.
txag2008
AG
Had never had this Maredsous before. Found it at World Market for $1.99/bottle. (I don't think it was meant to be that price....but it was there) This thing was more like a dessert than a beer, pretty tasty.

Marooned_n_Aggieland
It's BEER TIME

Not as good as a Youngs Double Chocolate but a good Yankee stand in. I chalk this as one of Brooklyn's better offerings and worthy of your sampling. I needed to fill out a pick your own 6 and this one filled an open position.

Enjoy great brews my friends!
NColoradoAG
Just popped another Biere de Mars from New Belgium. Has it shown up in Texas yet?
army01
AG
It's here...at least in the DFW area
Jock 07
AG
Still trying to figure out why I can't get the Hopslam here when they have it 80 miles to the south in Bismarck. Damned distributors.
BSD
AG
Hopslam, It was delicious...I wanted to brush my teeth with it!
Jason_Ag98
AG
Finally getting to try Pliny the Elder. Delicious! Also picked up some Russian River Redemption and Supplication.
wasabi1787
AG
Buddy of mine keeps going on about The Alchemist / Ninkasi / Stone - More Brown Than Black IPA ... I haven't tried it myself, but it sounds tasty though

[This message has been edited by wasabi1787 (edited 2/20/2012 12:18a).]
wasabi1787
AG
My desk is beautiful right now.

txag2008
AG
Anyone care to explain their glass of choice when drinking a beer?

Why are you using one glass over another? Where do you get your specialty(snifter) glasses?
62strat
AG
had some new ones this weekend at a place called hay merchant, in houston.
Had the bayou city 1836 and the 512 black ipa, both delicious.
Green Fairy
AG
quote:
Buddy of mine keeps going on about The Alchemist / Ninkasi / Stone - More Brown Than Black IPA ... I haven't tried it myself, but it sounds tasty though

I picked one up the other day, but haven tried it just yet. The other Stone collaboration (green tea IPA) was pretty good so I have high hopes for this one too.
helgs
AG
quote:
Anyone care to explain their glass of choice when drinking a beer?

I drink from a Duvel tulip. Why? Hold the stem so you don't heat the beer up. The shape gives the impression of a huge head, but allows you to still drink the beer when you tip the glass to your lips. Also the nucleation point at the bottom of the glass releases the aroma of the beer I drink out of it. Seriously. Even a crummy Shiner Bock tastes much better out of a tulip.
DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:
I drink from a Duvel tulip

Same here. At one point, I actually did a rudimentary test. Three shiners (a beer I am very familiar with the taste). One in the bottle, one in a pint glass, and one in the tulip. Tulip was definitely better. Even if it was a bit of the placebo affect, it tasted better. I am not one of those unique glass for each style of beer people.
62strat
AG
pint glass every time.

OK sometimes my fat tire globe glass.
NColoradoAG

Headwaters Pale Ale from Victory

This is a delicious Pale Ale. Pours really nice with a thin lacy head. This one has a bit creamier mouth feel and malt than some other offerings. Good citrusy, hoppy finish.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG54 (edited 3/3/2012 12:09a).]
addickstrapper
AG
sweetwater ipa
BSD
AG
I typically drink my pale ales and IPAs from a pint glass but Belgians and sours from tulips. I use different glasses for different wines, too.

I was at Hay Merchant on Saturday and they serve different beers (some of the same class) in different glasses as well. I think they had about 5 or 6 different glass shapes that they served in.

[This message has been edited by Bsd (edited 2/20/2012 9:05p).]
jetch17
AG
I gotta hit Hay Merchant this week
Marooned_n_Aggieland
As you might have noticed I use a variety of glasses for my beers. Dark beers get the snifter. Belgian beers get the goblet or perhaps the tulip. I'll use a flute for sweet ones like fruit beers. Let's not forget the German wheat beer (weizen) glass!

Rahr has been putting out interesting glassware with their seasonals and I've been collecting them.
RustyBoltz
AG
I've had good luck with the Bruges glasses from Crate & Barrel. Picked up a couple the last time I was in Dallas. Seems to be a compromise between a snifter and a tulip but I've been pleased. Work well for my Rahr BBAWW.

[This message has been edited by RustyBoltz (edited 2/21/2012 6:49a).]
duck79
AG
There is a very small amount of Rogue Voodoo that made it to Texas and will be available at some places in Dallas tomorrow. I doubt it lasts thru the weekend.

[This message has been edited by Duck79 (edited 2/21/2012 10:44a).]
BSD
AG
A little more info on City Acre:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2012/02/city_acre_brewing_houstons_hom.php

I didnt realize they were going to be a brewpub (October opening). The food was pretty good though so this pleases me. The location still gets to me a bit.
Robert C. Christian
AG
quote:
There is a very small amount of Rogue Voodoo that made it to Texas and will be available at some places in Dallas tomorrow. I doubt it lasts thru the weekend.

Any idea what/where those places are?
duck79
AG
In Dallas Specs and Pogos and in Plano you have Kegs N Barrels on 15th and Plano Beverage.
bonfirewillburn
AG

AG
quote:
I was at Hay Merchant on Saturday and they serve different beers

so was I.. went to heights with a group planning to do S.A. crawl, got to heights blvd, every place had a line out the door... sorry, not worth a pint glass.

so we went to Hay merch, was about 3ish I guess.
didn't agree with some of their glass servings. the wife wanted a 512 wit, they serve in a tulip, just 13oz for $4, yet, other texas hefs came in pilsner (like they should be), 20oz, for $5... there were others that didn't seem like any rhyme or reason for glass choice. Some beers that were like 5% in tulips or snifters.. seems those are generally for high abv.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 2/21/2012 3:17p).]
BSD
AG
Bonfire, how many Damnations have you been thru already? I'm surprised some made it home.

Strat, that's about the time we were there.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Agree with 62strat about the pricing as it relates to the volume of beer being sold. I understand the increase in pricing for a particular limited brew, but it still felt like it wasn't matching up fairly to the type of glassware/volume.
62strat
AG
Also, must say, disappointed in the food as well. Wife got a chicken salad, it was $10, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it was a side salad with cut up chicken on it. lettuce, leaf spinach, tomato.. that was it, in a small side salad bowl, chicken was probably half a breast. I got a hot dog, again, $10, and it was just that, a hotdog. It came in a freebirds-esque blue plastic basket. No fries, nothing.. Luckily I asked for chili and cheese, because per the menu it was just mustard and relish.

After we were through we honestly wished we would have spend $5 on a couple whoppers from burger king next door.

If I go again, I'll be sticking to the beers. They did seem to have more unusual offerings though.. maybe it's good, I don't know. But we felt we did not get $20 worth of food.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 2/21/2012 3:47p).]
62strat
AG
to add insult to injury, our party left hay merch and went to grove park(?) next to chatters or something?

ended up being some benefit for someone who died. They had BBQ plates, $5, as much as you could fit on the plate, as well as art and such auctions, most items going for $100..
So I was pissed.. as we just ate. Well after 2 hours, I decide hell I'll get a plate to go, at least break even for the day. (since the other 4 in the group all dropped the $5 and the food looked good). I hit the aTm, get a $20, go to lady and say I'll have a plate. She takes the $20, walks about 10' to put it in the box, comes back and points to the plates. I said, oh, I'm sorry how much is it? She said, and I quote 'honey, it's a benefit'.

Now I can't blow my gasket, yes she's right, someone died, and these people have gathered to help raise money for whatever reason.. but am I wrong for assuming I'd get change? Maybe let me decide if I want to donate more to someone I don't even know? I'm buying the plate, that's my anonymous donation.

I responded with, 'oh, I'm just a customer, I wasn't aware'. She came back all hustled and gave me a $10.

So I got screwed twice on food that day. As if that wasn't enough, I assume deceased guy was a longhorn, cause the crowd was full of orange. Oh well, R.I.P. dude.
First Page Last Page
Page 40 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.