Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,566,935 Views | 62475 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by CDub06
bonfirewillburn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
was able to FINALLY try the Iron Thistle and the Wild Hair last night

LOVED the Iron Thistle!

I was surprised by actually liking the Wild Hair (not much of a bitter guy myself). Im sure it could have been a bit deeper, but was fairly balanced on all fronts. I probably wont be seeking it out, but I certainly wouldn't turn one down!
bonfirewillburn
AG
quote:
I started last night with about 4 Youngers while I waited on a table. Then we ordered the flights of all their beers currently on tap.

I left with 24 Pliny the Elder bottles, 10 Supplications, 7 Consecrations, and 7 Temptations. With dinner and drinks, that was one hell of a bar bill!

I

HATE

YOU!

AG
Houston Saucer tapping a cask of Hellfighter Imperial Porter tonight at 6PM, for you Karbach fans.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
quote:
LOVED the Iron Thistle!

Another Rahr CONVERT!!

Rule #1
p-wonk01
AG
BSD,

I'm actually headed into San Fran and wine country next week for part of my honeymoon. The rib-to-be enjoys brewery tours as well. I was hoping to hit up Lagunitas and RRB, though the wait time scared me a bit. I'd love any tips for RRB and any other places we should hit up if time permits. e-mail in profile
bonfirewillburn
AG
quote:
Another Rahr CONVERT!!

CONVERT please......just haven't gotten my hands on Iron Thistle yet.....
army01
AG
I wish Iron Thistle was a year round brew...need to pick up a case this week and spread it out through the year. I made it to December with 3 left from last year's case...
duck79
AG
Just got done with a rollout for Palm. If you haven't seen it or tried it, it's a very drinkable Belgian amber.
jetch17
AG
Drinkin Yellow Snow tonight

Marooned_n_Aggieland
It's BEER TIME!

Back to the Cafe Negro to clean another out. As stated before, not the best but not bad. I'm thinking a different coffee bean mix here could help this brew.
jah003
S
Picked up a 6 pack of these at the local HEB over the weekend:

I've heard good things, so I figured I'd give it a go. Overall, a solid IPA. Not quite what I was expecting... the grapefruit taste doesn't come through as much as most IPA's. You can really taste the hops here (which I enjoy).

[This message has been edited by jah003 (edited 2/13/2012 8:58p).]
AgDrumma07
AG
jah - that's a great choice! I volunteered for Ska over the summer at Brewfest in Ft. Collins. They're a really cool brewery. Lots of good things on their lineup.
gordo97
AG
I really like most of the SKA brewery stuff I tried..... And I heard the music playlist at the brewery is pretty good also
gordo97
AG
Double

[This message has been edited by gordo97 (edited 2/13/2012 9:16p).]
gordo97
AG
Tripple

gordo97
AG
And quad post

BSD
AG
**** my life! RRBC is out of Pliny the Younger tonight! Son of a bit ch!
jetch17
AG
first world problems
jah003
S
quote:
jah - that's a great choice! I volunteered for Ska over the summer at Brewfest in Ft. Collins. They're a really cool brewery. Lots of good things on their lineup.

Sweet! I'll have to check out some more Ska stuff in the future. I'm not really an IPA guy, but I enjoyed this one.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
It's BREW TIME!

Review coming up later - maybe.
NColoradoAG
Just bought tickets to a couple Younger tappings here in CO. Also going to a tapping on Saturday morning. Will be suddenly coming down with illness if it randomly shows up at any of the local beer bars.
BSD
AG
quote:
BSD,

I'm actually headed into San Fran and wine country next week for part of my honeymoon. The rib-to-be enjoys brewery tours as well. I was hoping to hit up Lagunitas and RRB, though the wait time scared me a bit. I'd love any tips for RRB and any other places we should hit up if time permits. e-mail in profile

I've been travelling all day and just now saw this. The line at RRBC is for the Younger, and they will be out of it on Thursday so you will have no problem getting in. I'm much more of a wine drinker so I love hitting RRBC and Bear Republic after a day of wine tastings in Sonoma County. I'd actually do Bear Republic over Lagunitas. The town of Healdsburg is much more charming than the industrial park where Lagunitas is located. Plus, Bear had about 8-10 beers you can't get in Texas as opposed to the 4-5 at Lagunitas. Of course, if you have time, hit them all!

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG

tried this baby tonight at obannons. holy cow, punch-in-the-face coffee flavor. it was in a bomber but having eaten earlier, i couldn't do much more than a pint before i was full. awesome taste though, amazing head
True Anomaly
AG
Last night I had Sixpoint Spice of Life Simcoe, which is brewed only with Simcoe hops. Apparently this line of brews is done with one kind of hop at a time, so you get to experience the flavor profile of different hops- very helpful to someone like me who doesn't do well with traditional descriptions of hop flavors like "apricot" or "pumpkin". In other words, I need to experience them for myself- so I know what to use on a batch of homebrew.

Simcoe hops, to me, have a flavor of Saaz hops- the primary hops used in Pilsner Urquell, and therefore the primary hop used in the quintessential pilsner.

"Ya gotta love livin', baby, 'cause dyin's a PAIN IN THE ASS!" -Frank Sinatra
62strat
AG
quote:
Just bought tickets to a couple Younger tappings here in CO. Also going to a tapping on Saturday morning. Will be suddenly coming down with illness if it randomly shows up at any of the local beer bars.
hey where can you find thIs info? I'll be in CO in march for a week, would live to find The Younger.
hbc07
AG
From the horse brass menu:

Pliny the Elder Double IPA ~ Russian River, Santa Rosa, CA
Coming Soon: Pliny the Younger
bonfirewillburn
AG
I second the Bear Republic - those guys are fun!

but dont miss out on Russian River Brew

If you do the wine tasting rout: be sure to hit us Arista Winery - bunch of Texas boys from Texarkana own the place. VERY NICE, and beautiful.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG

This was damn good. Not as good as it is on draft (obviously) but they were able to replicate it pretty well.
BSD
AG
quote:
From the horse brass menu:

Pliny the Elder Double IPA ~ Russian River, Santa Rosa, CA
Coming Soon: Pliny the Younger

I think Spartan will like the Younger better than the Elder. It isn't as bitter and is more balanced. Hopefully it won't be a cluster*****trying to get some. An thanks for the surprises in the box! You found the roja...That's awesome!!!
NColoradoAG
62strat, start here http://bit.ly/zaOlmk

Falling Rock Tap House in dowtown will be tapping one this saturday at 1pm and next saturday at 5pm. You must get there right as they open at 11am and snag a ticket. This is probably the best run tapping around. Very orderly and enjoyable.

I work just down the street from The Cheeky Monk, which is a nice belgian beer bar. I'm going to walk down there today at lunch and see if I can get any dirt. Sounds like they'll get a keg or two, but aren't doing an event from what I can tell.

Vine Street Pub is in uptown and a really great spot (my favorite beer bar in Denver). They post their daily tap list on facebook. Just search the facebook pages for "Mountain Sun." They post tap lists for their place in Boulder, Southern Sun, and Denver, Vine Street Pub. It wasn't there yesterday and they haven't put today's out. I don't see any word about a tapping event. I'm assuming it will pop and and there will be a mad dash. Like I said, if I see it on Vine Streets list, I will suddenly become ill and need to leave work.

Freshcraft is a nice, casual restaurany in Larimer Square. I can't tell when they will be tapping their keg(s). They might tell you if you call, but the place could be considered a beer snob hangout so they might be dicks.

Trinity in Colorado Springs will be getting a few kegs and will be doing the last rounds of tappings. Looks like one on March 1 and one on April 11.

Choice City and Mayor of Oldtown in Fort Collins already had tappings, and will probably have one or two more in the coming weeks. Those are run poorly, IMO, from past experience and can get a little stressful.

Right now, I'm going to go to the tapping at Falling Rock on Saturday at 1pm and then hoping to hop over to Longmont to Oskar Blues for another pour and some food. I'm planning on the same gameplan next saturday.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG54 (edited 2/15/2012 10:42a).]
62strat
AG
dang, well i'm there march 10-15.. sounds like it will be gone by then.. am I reading that right? Looks to all be in late feb.
gordo97
AG
had this one last night..... it was good but a little bit overwhelming..... 11% and the flavors really slapped me in the face

wasabi1787
AG
Where in god's name did you find Pliny the Elder?!?!

but these are mine tasties lately:

nomnomnom
army01
AG
I wanted to like Midas Touch, but it was a bit too sweet for me...
hbc07
AG
i picked up a few things today, and couldn't pass this up for only $13:

(not sure of the crappy picture quality... but growled of dead guy in case it's not visible)
First Page Last Page
Page 38 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.