Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,567,929 Views | 62483 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by jah003
aggiespartan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastBurn
I've never been before and don't really know what they have but it could be worth checking out.

http://www.theeastburn.com/features/stupid-cupid/
DonaldFDraper
AG
Shiner Wild Hare tonight... One of their better "seasonals". It would be a great session beer.
NColoradoAG

Long Strange Tripel from Boulevard.

Damn, this beer is complex. Sweet, fruity nose. The flavor is crisp and bubbly at first and then the sweet, toasty malt comes storming through. It finishes very nice with a little lingering malt. It's a strong ale, 9.0 abv

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG54 (edited 2/10/2012 9:25p).]
AggieOO
Had one of those last weekend. I'm a fan.
IronRed13
AG
quote:
The guy working the beer counter today at the Bellaire Whole Foods mentioned that he called Karbach about getting Hellfighter kegs, and they told him they were about 2 weeks from releasing a bourbon barrel aged beer. He wasn't sure of the style beer, but seemed to think it was an all new offering.

They were aging Hellfighter in the barrels. At least thats what they said a month or so ago when I toured...
BSD
AG
Had a beer or two (not whole beers but heavy pours) from the following breweries last night. I didn't take notes but some were good and others were ****ty but overall it was a fun night. There were about 40 breweries that I missed.

21st Amendment Brewery
Drakes Brewing
Lagunitas Brewing
Lucky Hand Brewing
Magnolia Gastropub & Brewery
Mendocino Brewing Company
Moonlight Brewing Company
Pacific Brewing Laboratories
Russian River Brewing
Sierra Nevada Brewing (drank the Pale Ale out of cans...distributing those and Torpedo cans on March 1)
Sonoma Springs Brewing
Speakeasy Ales & Lagers
Third Street Ale Works
ThirstyBear Brewing Company
NColoradoAG

La Folie Sour Brown

Crisp, sweet apple notes. Worth a try if you like sours.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
It's BEER TIME!!

This has been living in my fridge for a few weeks to a month now and it's about time I power through it. Bitter beers don't appeal to my tongue but I wanted to at least sample this offering. To me it is a pretty standard IPA. Distinctive hops aroma and bitter bite. I'm not going to grade it because IPA's are not a favorite. It was a nice change but one IPA is enough for any night.
gordo97
AG
Having NB Dig pale ale right now..... Wow what a surprise..... It is excellent!!!!
Marooned_n_Aggieland
BEER TIME round two. It's Saturday evening and time for a second.

It's Ranger Creek's Mesquite Smoked Porter for the nightcap. Ba's opinion. Crack this one open and the nose has the distinctive smell of a Texas BBQ pit. Is that good? Dunno. I tried the Shiner Smokehouse and didn't like it at all. Buying this was a bit of risk given the Shiner experience.

The taste follows through with the smokey, pit flavor. I'm not sure that mesquite smoked beers are all that good. The taste really doesn't do it for me. I'm glad I tried this one but won't be buying another.

Been sitting here trying to figure out how to describe it. The smokey taste just takes over the whole palate. Can't say the brew is sweet or real bitter. Mostly just smoke.

My experience with the Smokehouse was that people either absolutely loved it or unquestionably hated it. There seemed to be no middle ground.
aggiespartan
AG
I was having wine while baking earlier, but I think I'm going to have a Southern Star Blonde Bombshell with dinner.
BSD
AG
Started off sightseeing in SF and Marin, then hit Pearl's Phat Burger in Mill Valley for a burger to get a base to taste some beers.  First stop was Lagunitas where I had 2 taster sets to try out about 8 of their beers.

Next up, Bear Republic where I bought a case of Racer X bottles.

We then went to RRBC (after a detour in wine country) but the line was 2 hours so we said "**** this" and hit Flavor Bistro for dinner and Moonlight Brewery beers:

Good day!  Tomorrow will be an all-RRBC day so I should be passed out or be pissing on myself (or both)at a fairly early hour.
army01
AG
Tonight's bomber: Ass Kisser Smoked Porter, brought to us by our friends at Rahr
DonaldFDraper
AG
Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout
Young's Double Chocolate
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barely Wine.

All excellent.
AgDrumma07
AG
Bombshell Blonde
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Nice Rahr glass! Give'em hell on the left coast BSD - great pictures! I'm still trying to choke down this mesquite mistake.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Tonight's beer

Harpoon UFO Hefe. Not really a fan but there are a few more in the fridge that need to be drank. The depth of the traditional flavors of a hefe is just not here with this one. I will pass in the future.
jetch17
AG
BSD, hope you're enjoying Pliny the Younger
spadilly
S
Tonight:

Ranger IPA
Independence IPA
Dundee IPA

[This message has been edited by Spadilly (edited 2/12/2012 9:48p).]
jetch17
AG
Threw down some more Wild Hare while grillin tonight ... Nice smooth brew
BSD
AG
quote:
BSD, hope you're enjoying Pliny the Younger

3 Youngers deep after a 25 mile bike ride. Feeling good, Billy Ray.
NColoradoAG
Obsidian stout from deschutes for me tonight.
BSD
AG

I wish it were winter so we could freeze it into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!

I want to put my dick in it!

I want it to put its dick in me!

(Pliny the Younger)
aggiespartan
AG
you people will never sell me on pliny...too bitter for me.
jetch17
AG
quote:

I wish it were winter so we could freeze it into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!

(Pliny the Younger)

Sh*t
jetch17
AG
quote:
you people will never sell me on pliny...too bitter for me.

Pu$$ie
aggiespartan
AG
well I am a girl....and it is estimated at 100IBUs
Marooned_n_Aggieland
I like Russian River's website. Nice clean design. spartan, you go girl!

Dogfish's 120 Minute IPA has an IBU of 120 but it didn't seem that bitter. The high ABV really tones it down and sweetens up the flavor.
aggiespartan
AG
there are a few beers with high IBUs that I can handle, but if it's too bitter it really affects the drinkability for me.

we are going to an NBA game on valentine's day and I'm really curious to see what beers they offer. I've heard they have a decent selection at the games.
Jock 07
AG
So you're saying you're not a ruination fan?
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
ruination

mmmmmmmmmmmm
jetch17
AG
i think this is going to be the new catchphrase of the beer thread:

quote:
BSD
bonfirewillburn
AG
quote:

Watched that last night!!!!

[This message has been edited by bonfirewillburn (edited 2/13/2012 9:48a).]
BSD
AG
I started last night with about 4 Youngers while I waited on a table. Then we ordered the flights of all their beers currently on tap.

I left with 24 Pliny the Elder bottles, 10 Supplications, 7 Consecrations, and 7 Temptations. With dinner and drinks, that was one hell of a bar bill!
First Page Last Page
Page 37 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.