Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,566,538 Views | 62472 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by jah003
bevokilla
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last night had a Full Sail Wreck the Halls which tasted like a terrible home brew made with the St. A's yeast and a Left Hand Warrior IPA which was really good.
jetch17
AG
quote:
I dont think this one will actually be called bodacious though will it? Bodacious was Rodeo Clown in wine barrels and 009 is Rodeo Clown in bourbon barrels like the 003/005/007, they might call it something new?

Ahhhh didn't realize it was bourbon barrels this go around... Oughta be interesting, but the wine barrels were nice
La Fours
AG
Another excellent beer by Karbach.

bevokilla
AG
Picked up 3 bombers of Fra-gee-lay yesterday at kroger. I love Karbach, and I understand they are barrel aged beers, but $13 a piece is steep.
maca1028
Going to jester king Sunday on the way home from the hill country, I think my paycheck is already spent.
AlaskanAg99
AG
quote:
Picked up 3 bombers of Fra-gee-lay yesterday at kroger. I love Karbach, and I understand they are barrel aged beers, but $13 a piece is steep.

$13/22oz is a steal. As the beer scene in TX grows so will pricing. In San Diego BBL aged beers are $27 on the cheap side to $40 on the high end for 22oz/750ml.

In 5 or so years you'll cry and ***** "I remember the good old days when barrel aged beers were $13 not $40! To hell with newbie beer geeks, they're RUINING IT!" -said many an old timer SD craft drinker.
jh0400
AG
quote:
quote:

$13/22oz is a steal. As the beer scene in TX grows so will pricing. In San Diego BBL aged beers are $27 on the cheap side to $40 on the high end for 22oz/750ml.

In 5 or so years you'll cry and ***** "I remember the good old days when barrel aged beers were $13 not $40! To hell with newbie beer geeks, they're RUINING IT!" -said many an old timer SD craft drinker.

At $40 per 750, I'll stick with barrel-aged bourbon.
AlaskanAg99
AG
quote:

I completely agree. I've capped myself at $20 for a sour or barrel aged beer at 22oz for special occasions. Else it's a pass and wait for it on tap somewhere.

The specality limited beer releases are way too expensive.
jetch17
AG
picked up a couple 008's at lunch for the holidays
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
62strat
AG
quote:
In San Diego BBL aged beers are $27 on the cheap side to $40 on the high end for 22oz/750ml.

That may be the exception not the norm.

I rarely see bombers, of any style, that are $25+ Most are $20 or less. I can think of about 2 or 3.

Unless san diego is just really high.

I was in bay area, and New Belgium La Folie was $13; here in Denver it's $20.. go figure.
Ags #1
AG
Saw on Twitter that bcbs is at heb Fairfield
AlaskanAg99
AG
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In San Diego BBL aged beers are $27 on the cheap side to $40 on the high end for 22oz/750ml.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That may be the exception not the norm.

I rarely see bombers, of any style, that are $25+ Most are $20 or less. I can think of about 2 or 3.

Unless san diego is just really high.

I was in bay area, and New Belgium La Folie was $13; here in Denver it's $20.. go figure.

I'm not talking about the mass produced craft beer of Stone/New Belgium, but the smaller places.

Lost Abbey and Alesmith's prices have been creeping up with Lost Abbey at the $40 mark now. Alesmith is in the upper 20's and about to hit 30 for their BBL aged beers. I'm no fan of the Bruery but their beers are also in the 30-40 range.

Firestone is still making fantastic beer and keeping it in the low 20's, but the price creep continues across the board.

La Folie is average as is New Belgium as a whole. Their Lips of Faith series has been churning out average crap lately, much like the Stone Collab series.
maca1028
Central Market tweeted they had velvet merkin
army01
AG
quote:
I'm not talking about the mass produced craft beer of Stone/New Belgium
AlaskanAg99
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm not talking about the mass produced craft beer of Stone/New Belgium

Exactly right. Once these breweries hit a certain threshold quality starts to tank. Stone, New Belgium, Green Flash, Sam Adams...are not what they used to be. Part of it is going from a small 15bbl direct fire BK to steam and not adjusting recipies and/or watching the bottom line more and skimping on quality ingredients, hops and keeping fresh yeast.

This seems to be an issue with Regional sized craft breweries.
jetch17
AG
HEB Bunker had the new Belgium/cigar city collabo today ... I dont care for that chili sh*t, though
AlaskanAg99
AG
quote:
HEB Bunker had the new Belgium/cigar city collabo today ... I dont care for that chili sh*t, though

It's a muddled mess. Beer can't decide which way it wants to go and ends up being a malty average beer that has barely any chili flavor, nor hops other than bittering and is just blah.

Save yourself the $$$. We drain poured 20oz of it.

My general opinion is collaboration beers tend to be massive failures.
aggiejz
AG
quote:

Snagged a bottle and expected I'd be paying more than $15 for it. No complaints here.
Ags #1
AG
Aggiejz, how much merkin did they have?
NColoradoAG
Sipping some Bourbon County Barleywine at the local watering hole.
Ags #1
AG
Accordig to twitter Looks like central market is already sold out of velvet merkin.
DonaldFDraper
AG
quote:
quote:

Snagged a bottle and expected I'd be paying more than $15 for it. No complaints here.

I amusing you mean $15+ for a bomber?

Central Market in Fort Worth had it in six packs. I want to say it was $10.99 for the 6 pack. I just grabbed two singles.
aggiejz
AG
6 packs of Merkin? Or Merlin? Merlin is just the regular oatmeal stout & I know that comes in 6 packs; as far as I knew, Merkin just comes in the bombers. And yeah, it was $15 for a bomber of Merkin.

[This message has been edited by aggiejz (edited 12/12/2013 8:46a).]
aggiechris06
AG
Any chance there is any variety of bcbs here in Houston...even on tap??

Any help on this matter would be largely appreciated
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
^You are mistaken.
aggiejz
AG
quote:
Any chance there is any variety of bcbs here in Houston...even on tap??

None that I'm aware of. Have been keeping an eye out but don't think any made it down here.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
aggiechris:

@cottonwoodbar: We will be tapping @gooseisland Bourbon County Stout next Tues the 17th and @prairieales Bomb the day after that. Make plans to come out and enjoy both on a brisk, winter evening. Cheers!
jetch17
AG
Petrol has BOMB on tap
aggiechris06
AG
Thanks.. Also would be thrilled to find in a bottle or two...

looking to celebrate passing the final Medical licensing exam, which I got results for this AM
aggiechris06
AG
also, how does BCBS compare to KBS??
aggiejz
AG
Did see that HEB Fairfield supposedly had some BCBS left yesterday. Wouldn't count on it still being there today, but stranger things have happened.

Moon Tower also has Bomb on tap right now as well. It is freaking delicious.
gordo97
AG
picked up a few bottles of Fra-gee-lay at HEB today and ran across 1 single bottle of Bomb sitting there all by its lonely self so I picked it up...... I hope it's as good as everyone is saying
army01
AG
quote:
I amusing you mean $15+ for a bomber?

Central Market in Fort Worth had it in six packs. I want to say it was $10.99 for the 6 pack. I just grabbed two singles.

That is most definitely Merlin...

Merkin comes in a Reserve box:

aggielax48
AG
Made an expensive Specs run today but feel I scored pretty good. 2 Funk Metals, 512 Anniversary Imperial Stout, Clown Shoes Dragon Stout.
First Page Last Page
Page 336 of 1785

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.