Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,673,740 Views | 62644 Replies | Last: 33 min ago by Quincey P. Morris
Marooned_n_Aggieland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
aggiespartan, the raspberry living in the fridge is the following.

I've enjoyed one so far and the traditional "beer geek" won't like it. It is sweet and fruity. For the ladies that do not like the bitterness of beer but would like to have something with their man, give this a try. In some respects it is very similar to a wine cooler.
jah003
S
I've currently got a yeti, oak aged yeti, and expresso oak aged yeti chilling in the fridge for this weekend! I would say the regular yeti is in my top 5 beers, so I can't wait to try the other two...
aggiespartan
AG
I've had that one and I like it. I enjoyed that one much better than the Great Divide raspberry beer. It seemed like it was just an afterthought instead of an actual raspberry beer.

The raspberry wheat I was talking about is from a brewery that does sour brews. It is delicious. They have various other fruit sour brews that are equally amazing.
Marooned_n_Aggieland

Anyone see or try this from Boulevard? I would love to give it a try.
BSD
AG
Spartan,
You might like the RRBC Framboise for the Cure sour that comes out in October. It's only sold at the brewery but I think I'm going out around that time and I'll grab you one.
BSD
AG
Specs website shows to have the Boulevard. I'll be downtown tomorrow and will swing by to see if it's still around.
aggiespartan
AG
are you still planning on being in Portland this summer?
BSD
AG
I have every intention of being out there for the brewfest in late July. There's a conference I plan to be presenting at that starts that next Monday at the Marriott across the street. I may stay a day or two longer to unwind at Belmont, Horsebrass, HOTD, Green Fairy, etc.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
Now, I guess the Maui Brewing Coconut Porter is on the list!

My favorite porter.
jetch17
AG
mmm the talk of HI beer is making me wish i wasnt sitting behind my desk all day

what happens after a day at the Kona brewery & brewpub? Palmtree Wang!!!

[This message has been edited by jetch17 (edited 2/2/2012 8:19a).]
62strat
AG
quote:
Anyone see or try this from Boulevard? I would love to give it a try.

Holy crap that brings back good memories. I was drunk by the time I got to it, but was at a party, and there was chocolate cake.
mmmmmmmmmmmmm words can't describe.
Green Fairy
AG
quote:
I see on the Kona site they have (or had) a hefe. Is it any good? It doesn't show up in their current beer list but it is shown on their "awards" page.

I think that's the hula hefeweizen.... The only time I had it was at the brew pub 4 yrs ago. It was damn good.
spadilly
S
From the Hosuton Beer thread....my Kona reviews from my trip over the summer:

quote:

Kona Brewing Co

-first off, their Lavaman Red Ale was available on tap at every bar/resort we went to. This stuff is amazing. I swear this would be a staple in my fridge if it every made it's way out here.

On to the beer samples I had (I stayed away form anything I can get here in Houston):

Big Wave Golden Ale - not bad, not great. better than most golden ales I've had before - actually included some flavor.
Castaway IPA - this was delicious. by far the best IPA I had on the islands. Much better than Maui's IPA
Black Sand Porter - I'll go ahead an admit I'm not big on porters, and only tried this one to say I've have it before. It was good for what it was, but then again I wouldnt order a pint of it.
Coco Loco Brown - take your typical brown ale, add some coconut to it and this is what you get. a little too sweet for me to drink as a session beer.
Duke's Blonde - think bud/miller/coors...but wait for it below...
Old Blowhole Barleywine - thick. at 12%, I think this beer would sneak up on you. the alcohol is somewhat hidden. the taste was actually very similar to St Arnold's barleywine DR. I honestly dont think I would be able to tell them apart.
Hula Hefeweizen -banana flavor. a little too odd for my liking.
Ginger Duke's Blonde Ale with Lemongrass - this was recommended to me by the bartender. I was a little hesitant because I wasnt impressed with the Blonde Ale to start with, plus ginger and lemongrass just sounded odd. I was completely blown away with this beer.
The ginger was nowhere near as strong as the new shiner ruby, and then the lemongrass added an unique aftertaste. I could have spent the entire afternoon drinking nothing but this. By far the best beer I had while I was out there.

[This message has been edited by spadilly (edited 2/2/2012 2:21p).]
spadilly
S
and my reviews from Maui Brewing:

quote:

Maui Brewing Co

only got to visit the brewpub once. (thought i'd make it back for a second trip, so i didn't get to try half of what i wanted). the brewery was actually closed when i stopped by for a tour.
went to their brewpub and had the following:
(once again, i stayed away from anything i can get here in Houston)

Father Damien Abbey - I'm a sucker for Belgium beers, so when I saw this on their beer menu, I couldn't pass it up. take your typical abbey and add a little bit of cherry flavor. A little too sweet for a session beer, but great nonetheless.

Smoked Hemp Ale - honestly can't remember much about this one. the waitress recommended it, but it left no real memory with me.

Wild Hog Stout - a jet black Nitro beer that they serve at the brewpub. Really good. reminded me of a Guinness (as any nitro beer will), but much better. Malts, chocolate, and coffee aroma. Very light beer. Would have been fine drinking this one all day.

KGB Russian Imperial Stout (Bourbon Barrels) - The best beer they make in my opinion. I'm a sucker for bourbon, so anytime I can find a bourbon barrel beer, I'm happy.
Aroma was bourbon, coconut, vanilla, and oak. Full body beer, finished really well.

jetch17
AG
GD it i gotta get back there
helgs
AG
quote:
Father Damien Abbey - I'm a sucker for Belgium beers, so when I saw this on their beer menu, I couldn't pass it up. take your typical abbey and add a little bit of cherry flavor. A little too sweet for a session beer, but great nonetheless.

So, it's a Three Philosphers knock-off.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Did you get after that Onion Mild brewski? Brewed with caramelized onions. Hmmm. Can't say I'm jumping on that one.
jetch17
TxKng82
AG
Any of y'all tried the Maui Mana Wheat? Seen it on the shelves but haven't picked it up to try.
TxKng82
AG

[This message has been edited by txkng82 (edited 2/2/2012 7:17p).]
62strat
AG
mmm

bonfirewillburn
AG

Tonight's Stable
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Pranqster is very good! Had that on tap in Sacramento during the long hot summer.

Enjoy good brews my friends ...
Marooned_n_Aggieland
It's BEER time!

Do you want a big beer? No, you want a MONSTER beer! Make that ALE! This is my first barleywine of the winter season and this will go in the WIN column for Brooklyn.

Brooklyn is a hit and miss brewery for me. Their lager and pale ale doesn't do it for me. This offering is different and a hit. Nice smooth flavor with just a hint of hops at the finish. You see the nice head in the picture and it dies down to just a bit around the edges but there is plenty of wonderful lacing.

This is very drinkable for the high ABV (10.8%). The taste reminds me of the bourbon barrel offerings from Rahr and Saint Arnold. I purchase a single for sampling but this is absolutely worth a 4 pack.

The label is pretty bland for this beer. Brooklyn needs to step it up on that. I have been trying to remember the other Brooklyn beer that I liked and it was their Black Chocolate Stout.

Enjoy good brews my friends ...

[This message has been edited by Marooned_n_Aggieland (edited 2/2/2012 8:41p).]
army01
AG
Big fan of Brooklyn Monster Ale. Haven't had any from this year's batch, but had a 2010 earlier this month. Solid Barley wine.

I'm sipping the Pipeline Porter right now. I think I am sticking with the Real Ale Coffee Porter as my favorite between it, this one, and the Cafe Negro, but I'd definitely buy all three again.

Edit: Any Austinites know if Amy's ever turns any of these (especially the real Ale version) into an ice cream like they have with Guinness or Shiner? I think it would be bad ass.

[This message has been edited by army01 (edited 2/2/2012 11:32p).]
Marooned_n_Aggieland

Revolver Brewing - Granbury, TX
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Head over to East Texas for some ...

aggiespartan
AG
having this right now
Marooned_n_Aggieland
What are YOU going to enjoy drinking at the "Big Game" (tm) on Sunday? For me, I have numerous choices but that Mesquite Smoked Porter might just go well with the cooked goodies.

jetch17
AG
i think ill be making a D&Q run for gameday beverages tomorrow after the Karbach tour.
HTownAg98
I'm not looking through 30 pages, so has anyone ever tried anything from Circle Brewing Company here in Austin? They have a brewery tour on Groupon right now, and I'm interested if it's worth taking the tour and sampling. Thanks.
jetch17
AG
anything is worth TRYING... the only way to determine if you like something or not. Go for it!
Green Fairy
AG
quote:
Any of y'all tried the Maui Mana Wheat? Seen it on the shelves but haven't picked it up to try.

I like it and their coconut porter. It has less pronounced coconut flavor compared to Kona's koko brown. Back on topic, the mana wheat is very refreshing...good beer for a hot day outside, grilling out, etc.
AggieOO
Circle's wheat is pretty good.

btw - that groupon doesn't include alcohol.
Green Fairy
AG
Had a nice haul at specs today:

Rogue XS McRogue scotch ale
Ommegang Cup 'o Kyndnes
Deschutes The Stoic
First Page Last Page
Page 32 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.