Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,673,804 Views | 62644 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Quincey P. Morris
dave99ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm headed to New Orleans for Mardi Gras this weekend and am looking to sample some local brews. Suggestions? I tend to like hoppy beers.
Midnight Cyclops
AG
quote:
I'm headed to New Orleans for Mardi Gras this weekend and am looking to sample some local brews. Suggestions? I tend to like hoppy beers.

Besides Abita, NOLA brewery is the first one that comes to mind. They make some good stuff. Try their Hopitoulas IPA. Louisiana is not a huge craft beer place, but there are some other good brews to be found. There is a brewpub in the french quarter that is not bad. I think it is called Crescent City Brew House or something. If you want a bar with really good selection, try Avenue Pub. They are the best bet in New Orleans, and they really good bar food, too.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Abita - no a single offering I can support.
spadilly
S
same here. i have never been able to finish any abita i've tried.
something just seems off in every brew they make
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I liked their Andygator. That's about it.
dave99ag
AG
I looked up the NOLA brewery and Hopitoulas IPA looks like something to try. Hoping to bring something back for a friend that's watching after my place. Something you can't normally find in CS.
army01
AG
Lunchtime Abita wasn't bad...

gordo97
AG
picked up a 6-er of this at HEB bunker hill..... meh..... watery pale ale and not much flavor

62strat
AG
coming soon

http://www.saintarnold.com/news/index.html#bitterbelgian
62strat
AG
quote:
If you want a bar with really good selection, try Avenue Pub.
+2 on this. Wife and I stayed in NOLA on the way to florida last year, this place was two blocks away. We just happen to walk in, I was totally shocked. They had tons of brews.
Midnight Cyclops
AG
http://saintarnold.com/news/index.html#brewer

Looks like St Arnold is hiring a new brewer! Bachelors degree required and engineering/technical degree preferred. No experience required. I am sure that there are plenty of people on here who meet those criteria. If I weren't so comfortable with my O&G salary, I would jump at this opportunity. I may throw my resume in there anyway just to see what happens...
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Anyone tried anything from Laughing Dog Brewing?
Marooned_n_Aggieland
That's good news for saint Arnold's. They need to step up their offerings to stay in the game. Oh, and stop making offshoots of your current line. Bring out some new styles with new grain / yeast mixes.

[This message has been edited by marooned_n_aggieland (edited 1/31/2012 4:56p).]
BSD
AG
quote:

Not yet but I may go grab some this week.
kwammer
quote:

Had their Pale Ale several times when in Boise this fall. I thought it was great, though some folks are put off by the citrus.
khkman22
AG
Anybody had anything from Tap Room No. 21? Saw some at my Krogers and thought I might choose between one of their three styles or the Magic Hat Hefeweizen next time.
IronRed13
AG
My beer of the month line-up. Fiancee got me a year of the dom/int club.

And my brews last night:

Marooned_n_Aggieland
The Eisbock is good. Recommend.
BSD
AG
Just ordered these:

Port Brewing Older Viscosity
Ninkasi critical hit
2 x Firestone walker double jack
2 x Firestone walker 15 anniversary
Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA
Firestone Walker Double Barrel Ale
Midnight Sun Brewing Mayhem Belgian Style Double IPA
Port Brewing Wipeout
The Bruery rogbrod
The Bruery Saison Rue
aggiespartan
AG
had Ninkasi Believer Double Red Ale last night...was pretty good
corndog04
AG
That's one of my fave's spartan, I usually have one or two a week. Ninkasi has high potential to be one of the next small Oregon brewery's to start getting a lot of attention from outside the state.

They just recently started selling 6 packs too!
aggiespartan
AG
I had it on tap and it was pretty delicious. Not as bitter as I expected.

Hbc had Widmer Dark Saison W12 and it was pretty good too.
NColoradoAG
I just discovered this thread via marooned_in_aggieland. OMG, it's like christmas. I'm going to become a regular.

In the fridge for tonights basketball game:

Deschutes Mirror Pond PA (probably my favorite beer)
Alaskan Black IPA

I also have 6 bombers of Biere De Mars from New Belgium. Will break into one of them if we win.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG54 (edited 2/1/2012 5:10p).]
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Let's see a couple reviews tonight on your drink(s) of choice during the Baylor game! For me, maybe some Mesquite Smoked Porter, or a raspberry brew (you KNOW I'm not talkin' Abita Haze here), or something totally different.
NColoradoAG
Will do.
aggiespartan
AG
what kind of raspberry beers do you like? there is a delicious raspberry wheat brewed locally where I am. I think I've had one from Great Divide that I wasn't a huge fan of. I've had quite a few...I don't remember what breweries they were all from.
Jock 07
AG
Picked up some mirror pond when I was over in MT skiing a couple weeks ago since I can't get it here. Good stuff. Also drank the **** outta some Firestone Walker when I lived out in Lompoc; good stuff there too
jetch17
AG
Headed up to Captain Toms for Micheladas tonight, I guess my choices are dos xx, modelo or carta blanca
Marooned_n_Aggieland
It's BEER time!

Tonight is Kona Brewing's Koko Brown. BA's opinion.

This is listed as an American Brown Ale. This is not a category that I frequent much but I do like Real Ale's offering here (Brewhouse Brown). Ok, this beer woke up my tasters!

It starts off about like you would expect a brown ale but then a taste comes up from behind and announces itself. It's the coconut! I really like the twist the coconut gives to this brew. The coconut is not present in the nose but it is there.

The brew doesn't have much of a head and very little suds staying power. Color is dark copper / brown. I give this brew high marks and I would buy this again. This sample was purchased as a single but a 6 is absolutely in order.

Now, I guess the Maui Brewing Coconut Porter is on the list! Enjoy your brews my friends ...

TxKng82
AG
Tried the Koko Brown earlier this week also and I agree its pretty good. Very subtle coconut flavor and good brown ale overall.

And thumbs up for Maui Coconut Porter! Great stuff.
jetch17
AG
Can't go wrong with Kona brews, then again it's probably because I drank my weight in it when visiting the islands.

Of course all the bottled varieties are bottled over here on the mainland.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
I see on the Kona site they have (or had) a hefe. Is it any good? It doesn't show up in their current beer list but it is shown on their "awards" page.
NColoradoAG

This is quite good. Nice and crisp all around. Toasty malt flavor mixes well with the bitterness. A bit heavier as you would expect. Definitely worth a try.

[This message has been edited by NColoradoAG54 (edited 2/1/2012 10:12p).]
jetch17
AG
The Waialua Wheat is ok
NColoradoAG
I've enjoyed the Maui Brewing Co's offerings more than Kona. All of Mauis comes in cans straight from HI. Mana Wheat is pretty awesome.
First Page Last Page
Page 31 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.