Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,675,096 Views | 62646 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by Jock 07
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Having a racer 5 in Hollywood.
jetch17
AG
BRC tonight:

Karbach Black IPA
Buffalo Brewing 1836
Deschutes Jubelale
512 Cream Stout
Marooned_n_Aggieland
(512) Cascabel Cream Stout was $3 a pint at the Flying Saucer in SA.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
picked up a new one for me at HEB tonight, Deschutes Red Chair NWPA. excited to try it once they get chilled a bit
jetch17
AG
Well I picked up some of this Shiner Wild Hare 103 at Hole Foods. I'll give it a whirl while grillin tomorrow
jetch17
AG
Also had some Avery Maharaja tonight... 'twas interesting
AggieOO
Have you had any of the other dictators?
jetch17
AG
Neigh
corndog04
AG
Had red chair nwpa on nitro last night. Creamy and fantastic!
jetch17
AG
This Shiner 103 ain't bad, like it alot better than some of thier others. Not as hoppy as I expected, but realize it's a pale ale rather than a full IPA

Elliot P. Campbell
AG
quote:
Had red chair nwpa on nitro last night. Creamy and fantastic!

tried out of the bottle last night, was a very good beer. i'm not used to the NWPA style so i was expecting a sharper hop taste like that of a regular pale ale, but it was extremely smooth
aggiespartan
AG
quote:
i was expecting a sharper hop taste like that of a regular pale ale, but it was extremely smooth

if you like your hops, you should take a beer trip up here to the pacific nw...hoppy beers are all the rage.
aggiespartan
AG
and every time i see that wild hare label i think it's someone in the fetal position
jetch17
AG
It's really not hoppy at all, smooth a's mentioned above. Then again all I've been drinking lately are pretty aggressive hoppies.

And lol on the fetal logo
aggiespartan
AG
I've had it and it tasted pretty bitter to me. I don't really go for the bitter beers, which kind of sucks because there is an abundance of bitter beers here.
Professor Frick
AG
Just finished off a tasty growler of Outburst fresh from the Pyramid brewery down the street. Really enjoyable DIPA.
Marooned_n_Aggieland

I agree with BA's opinion, it is exceptional. A trade was had. A bottle of Bourbon Barrel Aged Winter Warmer for the Black Butte goodie. Both were very good. If you get a chance, partake in this pleasure.
Green Fairy
AG
Damn, I may have to crack open my Black Butte XXIII sometime soon...looks tasty.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
i'm not saying i didn't enjoy it, but i agree with jetch, the hops were very subdued.

but i could also chug a stone ruination, so...
spadilly
S
Some fried catfish with a Stone Cali-Belgique tonight for dinner.

Veru good Belgian IPA. I actually have nothing bad to say about this beer. Tons of citrus and hops, but not overwhelming. 6.9%, so the bomber won't set me back too far tonight.
jetch17
AG
Spad, were doing Karbach and drunken go-karts Saturday, you in Tine?
spadilly
S
just like back in the day.

i should be good to go...
jah003
S
Tonights beer of choice:

Really enjoying this more than I thought I would. I bought a 6 pack at the recommendation of the Spec's man.

Not quite as "hoppy" as your usual IPA from Sierra. I think the Rye helps to subdue it a bit. Overall, the usual grapefruit and citrus notes of IPA but a nice peppery flavor to go with it.

[This message has been edited by jah003 (edited 1/30/2012 8:58p).]

[This message has been edited by jah003 (edited 1/30/2012 9:00p).]
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Drinking a little Canadian hooch and Coke as an after dinner treat.
army01
AG
Drinking the Real Ale Coffee Porter now. It's pretty good. Completely different than the Bridgeport Cafe Negro. The coffee is a little less pronounced and a less chocolatey, but very creamy. Completely different styles, and both have their strong points. The more I drink of the real Ale, the more it is growing on me. Solid offering.

Edit: As it warms, the coffee flavor is a little more evident. Would definitely buy again.

[This message has been edited by army01 (edited 1/30/2012 9:54p).]
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
the real ale coffee porter is a good one, but my favorite of all the coffee beers is still Kona Pipeline. it sounds stupid, but the quality coffee makes a difference, and kona coffee by itself is fantastic
Marooned_n_Aggieland
army01 is coming around to my way of thinking!
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Beer geeks, is there anything special you looker to munch on to help bring out the flavor of your beer? Something slightly salty works great for me. What is your favorite?
DonaldFDraper
AG
Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA tonight as well
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
quote:
Beer geeks, is there anything special you looker to munch on to help bring out the flavor of your beer?

hop pellets
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
but seriously, it depends on the beer. something slightly salty like a pretzel or a triscuit works well for bitter beers, and sweeter stuff goes good with stouts
spadilly
S
If I'm eating fried seafood, I must have a pale ale or IPA
62strat
AG
steak and an IPA is the best combination ever.
62strat
AG
Marooned_n_Aggieland

Had one of these last night. Overall it delivered more than I was expecting. Most hefe's made here choose the "American style" which to me is more watered down than true German. The GB here was quite fruity with than tasty banana subtone. The nose on this brew is top notch. The citrus aroma makes this beer and style perfect for summer but I like them all year long.

As proper for hefe's, the bitterness is kept low to nonexistent. I'm not saying this brew bests a Franzy but I would absolute grab for one in a store or restaurant if a Franzy or Hacker is not available.

Bottom line: Right up there with the Germans and absolutely above the Pyramid / Widmer / Shiner "American" hefe.
First Page Last Page
Page 30 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.