Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,568,730 Views | 62489 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by La Fours
army01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tonight's beer:

Did not like it...in fact, I only drank about half before dumping it. Tasted like a Coors/Bud/Miller light...

Poured this instead:

Much better.

And Marooned...the night you had that Cafe Negro, I had the same, but really liked it. I've never had the Real Ale Coffee Porter, so I picked one up today. I'll give it a taste this weekend.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Post what you think on both army. As stated, for my tastes the Real offering was the winner.

Also, keeping in tune with Rule #1

Always looking to sample a different hefe but I can't find anything special with this one. Stick with the good German options.

Beer Advocate's take
jetch17
AG
mmm this pic from Petrol today looks tasty. RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

dave99ag
AG
quote:
The Kraken - our Sisyphus barleywine aged for 11 months in American and French oak.

Definitely want to try this.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Barrel aged Barleywine. Yes SIR! Anyone put up a review on the bottled version (Sisyphus)?
duck79
AG
I was at the Real Ale brewery and got to do a vertical Sysiphus tasting with Brad. It was awesome, there is only one year they have never produced Sysiphus.
aggiespartan
AG
for the record, a box that had 2 bottles of voodoo break and shipped back to you cross country, does not smell that pleasant.
Agz_2003
AG
Shiner 103 aka wild hare American pale ale tonight.
aggiespartan
AG
having hipster beer with pizza tonight...PBR
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
AS
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Speaking of PBR, what's everyone's favorite cheapo beer? PBR? Lone Star? Keystone? MHL?

Gonna go with Lone Star for those hard times.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
I would rather just drink iced tea.

BSD
AG
quote:
for the record, a box that had 2 bottles of voodoo break and shipped back to you cross country, does not smell that pleasant.

2 bottles??? They sent it 2000 miles for 2 bottles???
jah003
S
Doing a "beer bus tour" next weekend in Austin... basically an 18 passenger van that drives you around to different breweries for tastings and what not. Oh... and stocked coolers on the van is encouraged.

For the record... having a few of these tonight:

hbc07
AG
Gotta love when your local pizza joint has bottles of dead guy and Deschutes.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
had some DFH Burton Baton DIPA at ob's. pretty damn tasty
gordo97
AG
BSD
posted 5:15p, 01/26/12

Gordo, where'd you find that? Looks tasty!

Specs next to my office had it here in h-town a couple of Christmases ago...... It's been sitting in my beer fridge for a long while
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Any exceptional beer stores in San Antone?
army01
AG
Dug this out of the back of the beer 'fridge. It's been probably 2 years since Ive had one. Samuel Adams LongShot Mile High Barley Wine

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Speaking of Spring Seasonals.

Sam Adams changed their Spring from the Noble Pils, possibly my favorite of theirs, to the Alpine Spring (not terrible, but not great). They are making the Noble Pils a year round beer starting in March. This is great, but here in Texas, we won't be able to go to the regular bars that only have the SA seasonals on draft and get the Noble Pils any more.

/rant over.

Got my hands on the Southern Star Le Mort Vivant. It's listed as a "a Bière de Garde," which I've never heard of. Very tasty, and I think I'm going to head up to Specs and grab a few more packs before they run out.

Found a little more about it in this review

OleDublinBobcat
1000!!!!! Replies, that is.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Damn, I missed it by one.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Saw the Le Mort in HEB CS
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Had the Alpine Spring on tap in Dallas. It's ok but nothing with seeking out. SA hops just does not do it for me. Their best brew in my opinion is their Oktoberfest.
spadilly
S
windows open, Jimmy Buffett on the radio, and a bomber of Hop Henge...

not a bad way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

62strat
AG
Spent the last few hours disassembling my keezer. It was a good run, but it's time for something smaller.

anyone interested in parts to make your own:
I have faucets, shanks, CO2 tank, regulator, manifold, kegs.. everything you need really.

http://houston.craigslist.org/for/2814533345.html
Jock 07
AG
quote:
Speaking of PBR, what's everyone's favorite cheapo beer? PBR? Lone Star? Keystone? MHL?

Whatever is the cheapest. I never buy BL ML CL, if I'm drinking an adjunct beer I go as cheap as possible they all taste the same anyhow
Jock 07
AG
I remember that barleywine longshot being a quite strong offering. It was the only barleywine I could get here. Would have liked to see SA incorporate that into their regular rotation
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Watching some Aggie bball.

jetch17
AG
Headed to BRC in Houston tonight, hopefully some tasty brews in store.

Sad I'm missing the Petrol dark beer fest today. Bottle swap & awesome casks being tapped.
62strat
AG
Forgot to add I went to luckys pub cypress last night. Would def recommend. I had a ranger ipa, hop rod, and dfh 60 min x2. I had already ate, so was glad to see most of their sandwiches are offered in half size. Got a half chicken panini thing with chips for like $5. Wife had a handful of wasatch white ales ad half sandwich, tab was a bit under $50, so, not quite Rockwell pricing, but pretty reasonable. Love the no smoking.
jah003
S
Went out for a fun (beer centered) day with the wife...

Stop 1: Central Market:
Old Chub was 7.50 a 6 pack, so I picked up one.

Stop 2: Flying Saucer (Austin)
Had a pint of Great Divide Fresh Hop Pale Ale... Excellent, excellent beer!

Stop 3: Specs:
Picked up a 6 pack of Left Hand Milk Stout and Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA. Also snagged a bomber of Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout and an Oak Aged Yeti.

All in all, a pretty solid day.
Jock 07
AG
Anyone had a rolling rock lately? A buddy had a six pack and I drank one for the first time in years. Tasted exactly like budlight.
aggiespartan
AG
I haven't had it in a while, but I didn't like it when I had it before.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Ranger Creek dark saison. Very good drink. Quite a different taste than traditional light saison. Recommend.

[This message has been edited by marooned_n_aggieland (edited 1/28/2012 10:41p).]
First Page Last Page
Page 29 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.