Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,642,362 Views | 62609 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by SoTxAg
defroach
How long do you want to ignore this user?
trying some Michigan beer tonight...

EDIT: Jesus...that is a large photo

[This message has been edited by defroach (edited 6/22/2013 10:13p).]
BSD
AG
If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

Ok, so I can't drink much anymore...but no one said that I couldn't taste!  It was a different experience spitting all of this great beer out, but a brother's gotta do what a brother's gotta do.  Here are some highlights of the day (spitter/swallower jokes protected):

2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 BCBS:

2010, 2011, 2012, 2013...so nice!

2013 Port Barrel Aged Dark Lord

And then there was this...

All of this was followed by a nice date night with my wife at El Meson.  Life is good.
streetfighter2012
AG
Sweet fancy Moses
CollinAB
AG
Holy crap, BSD. I was happy to be drinking my RuinTen, and here you go posting that stuff. Looks awesome.
Bmac04
jetch17
AG
Sh*t
Jock 07
AG
I've just been out whataburgered
cpscAG06
AG
Damn BSD, that is what I am talking about.

What is the best BBA stout you have had?
wessimo
AG
BSD just killed this thread. That post can never be topped.
wasabi1787
AG
This was muy tasty (It was a 2011, not 2006)

Still have this to drink...

[This message has been edited by wasabi1787 (edited 6/23/2013 1:37p).]
The Beer and I
Trying to see if Hops & Grain Zoe is the cure for my sinus infection.
maca1028
HEB in Katy had a shelf full of Hop Delusion today
NColoradoAG
quote:
BSD just killed this thread. That post can never be topped.

Challenge accepted. Ill even swallow.
BSD
AG
quote:
Challenge accepted.

NCol, i was about to type the same thing... And then get in touch with you to get something planned!

quote:
Ill even swallow.

Hahaha!!!! Dick. Like I said, it was a different experience. But I was the only person able to drive after all that. And no hangover! Believe it or not, I left halfway thru the party. There were still more beers to go! My FFaC and some Crooked Staves hadn't been opened yet, as well as some Belgians that I saw in the fridge. I'd say there were about 25 beers to go at that point.

But the good news about all this is that I successfully enjoyed my hobby/passion again without compromising my health. It was very therapeutic to get back into the game after the roughest 3 weeks of my life.
maca1028
I've got a few good beers that I'm hanging onto for a special occasion, thought about using my mini frige as a cellar, it's about my only option, looking for some good advice from some of the pros on this thread on a good place to age my beer. Also what is a good temp/humidity for storing?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
One week from today, I will be at Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Oregon. Can't wait.
defroach
Looks like we have some work to do to top this beer thread.
gordo97
AG
was that about $500 worth of beers?
txag2008
AG
When did enjoying good beer turn into a pissing match/competition to oust each other?
jetch17
AG
its not, im pretty sure all of us on here highly appreciate that epicness that BSD threw down
dave99ag
AG
BSD just dropped the mic on all of us.

That's one helluva tasting even if you didn't swallow!
The Beer and I
Maca, I was hoping someone with a little more experience storing beer would answer your question before I did, but they haven't yet. From what I've read, different beers should be stored at different temps, but 50 degrees seems to be a pretty good catch all temp. The bottles should be stored upright, with as little humidity as possible.
maca1028
Thanks Beer and I. I set my mini to about 58 right now, not sure of the about the humidity because I don't have anything to gauge that with. The fridge is in my garage so the outside temperature might affect it a little.
BSD
AG
They say a cool, dark place is the best place to store beer so I've always refridgerated mine in some manner (the beer fridge, beverage centers, wine storage, etc). My beverage centers are set at 45-50 degrees and I always store upright. The line of thinking is that you want the beer to mature and getting too cold will shut the process down, and too hot will speed it up and/or cook it.

I haven't worried as much about humidity with beer as I have for my wine. If you are cellaring corked beers for extended time periods, then humidity may be a concern but most of mine beers have been drunk before any signs of cork deteriortion.

So to answer your question, maca, your minifridge is a good place to start.

[This message has been edited by BSD (edited 6/24/2013 3:58p).]
jah003
S
As far as the cellering question goes...

I keep a box in a closet under the stairs. Generally it stays around 60-65 in the winter and 70-75 in the summer. I wouldn't call these the most ideal conditions. Nothing sits there for more than a year. Everything gets rotated into the beer fridge (which sits at 55) when it's getting close to time to drink.

I don't really have much evidence yet (only been doing this since October), but I had an Abyss with close to year on it a few weeks ago and it was glorious.

I don't really think humidity is much of issue in the 2-3 year storage time frame. Honestly, I don't really feel its worth is to store more than 2-3 years unless you're just experimenting.

I'm hoping to snag an old Fridge off craigslist in the near future for all my "everyday" beers and devote the smaller fridge just to cellering.
The Beer and I
The only reason I really mentioned low humidity is that if the bottles aren't completely sealed, a humid area can be a haven for some of the wild yeasts and souring bacteria. It may not ruin the beer, but could make for a nasty storage place.
The Beer and I
Whole Foods had Hop Delusion on tap again. Got a growler for $15.
maca1028
Finally had some of that last night, damn good stuff
MADDUD
Arrogant *******
MADDUD
The filter won't let in the word bast....ard?
defroach
BSD...I believe these are from your beer tasting. I stumbled upon them on another forum

BSD
AG
Yep, that's the party. I left before the Chocolate Rain, though. I brought the Framboise for a Cure and Logsdon Bretta Seizone but left before them too. But I've had those before so it wasn't too big of a deal.

One bottle missing from the pic: Utopias. I took that home with me.
jetch17
AG
Had a Lone Pint Jabberwocky at BRC this evening ... Not bad
The Beer and I
Their Yellow Rose is awesome, and 667 is pretty good too. I haven't had jabberwocky yet, but they seem to have a good thing going with their IPAs.
defroach
Their tornado shark is pretty solid as well.
First Page Last Page
Page 237 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.