Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,643,480 Views | 62614 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by jh0400
EFE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sneaky Pete Imperial IPA tonight, the GF will be taking the wheel
DRE06
AG
1st post on this thread. Contrary to the college years, not a big beer drinker.

However, just got back from Oregon (Craft beer heaven....more specifically IPA country...but I don't like IPA) and may have had the best beer I've ever had.

Sweet As Pacific Ale made by Good Life Brewing Company out of Bend, Ore

Managed to hit up the Rogue Brewery in Downtown Portland (meh....not impressed):

...and also the Deschutes Brewery & Pub House (highly recommended):

People up in Oregon will ask you to leave the bar if you order the likes of Miller, Coors, or Bud.

[This message has been edited by Dre06 (edited 6/19/2013 11:54p).]
txag2008
AG
Any DFW folks had the Lakewood Till & Toil ? Thoughts?

Is it still around to buy?
army01
AG
FYI ...

Martin House is having their launch party today at Central Market in Funkytown. Pints, growlers and cans....
defroach
Picked up a Prairie Artisan Ale Hop (something) yesterday. First time I had seen this Oklahoma brewery in TX before.
AggieOO
I've spent a lot of time in Oregon. No one is going to ask you to leave the bar for ordering a bud light.
streetfighter2012
AG
Anyone heading to the Texas craft brewers festival in Austin September 28th?
AggieOO
I'll be in Germany at a little festival.
army01
AG
quote:
People up in Oregon will ask you to leave the bar if you order the likes of Miller, Coors, or Bud.

Based on the picture above, it looks like Rogue has Coors Light on a guest tap....
DRE06
AG
It was a bit of an exaggeration, but not by too much. I don't think I saw anyone order or drink a mass produced beer in any of the establishments I went to.

For example, at the bar where they had the Sweet As beer (1st pic), they had 6 taps and only 1 was mass produced (Coors light). We were bellied up to the bar for 2 hours one day and another hour the next night. Never saw a Coors be poured. The other 5 taps were Oregon craft beers. Then they had a large side refrigerator with 23-30 different craft beers in cans and bottles.

[This message has been edited by Dre06 (edited 6/20/2013 5:26p).]
MADDUD
In Austin for the weekend. Having a Sierra Nevada Torpedo in the hotel. Any good spots near the Sheraton for good beer.
salmon99
AG
Hops and Grains had a good blog post about why they charge the price they do. They don't want to undercut the bars selling their product. I miss the tour/sampling setup but all in all this is way better for craft brewers. Also, you can now concentrate your money in the good stuff.

http://www.hopsandgrain.com/2013/06/new-taproom-hours-beer-for-sale-at-brewery/
wessimo
AG
Did you read the post? They are keeping the old tour model on Saturdays. I think they did it the right way, retaining the tour while offering pours for sale during other times.
salmon99
AG
Wessimo I read the post thus the statement about not undercutting their vendors. I agree that it isn't bad thing. Mostly nostalgia on my part as i believe most brewers will phase out that model ( see JK)

Street fighter I'm probably going to the fest. Last year it was great. Drank way more beer than expected.
NColoradoAG
Watching the finals and wrecking my palate. Happy to see Stone brewed this again.

AggieOO
Pounding Mexican beers.
The Beer and I
Anyone had the Stone/Brewdog collaboration barrel aged Bashah? Got a growler tonight, pretty good stuff.
CollinAB
AG
Enjoying more Stone Enjoy By 07.04.13 IPA. There were around five bottles up at HEB on Texas tonight. Not sure about Spec's. This is a damn good IPA.
txag2008
AG
Question about storing/aging beer....

What types of beer do you typically let age before they are optimal vs types of beer that are better as fresh as possible?
big-ag
AG
Usually it's going to be high-alcohol, low hop beers. Stuff like imperial stouts, barleywines, etc.

Stuff that typically (there are always exceptions) won't age well are seasonals that use freshly harvested ingredients, fruit beers, IPAs, etc.

I've heard 120 minute IPA ages well, so I'm trying that. Drank one fresh and trying to age one for a year or two.

I'm currently aging the 120 minute IPA and a 4 pack of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.
jh0400
AG
120 might as well be a barleywine.
MADDUD
Wake up dead Imperial Stout from left hand. Too strong of a stout from my taste
aggielax48
AG
Liked the Enjoy By. Picked up the Ruin Ten today.
Jock 07
AG
Headed up to Denver tomorrow to check out the granite for my house and plan on swingin by crooked stave for a beer or 2. Is there anything unique I should know about before heading there?
defroach
The Coors up there is much fresher because the Rockies give it the best water. If you happen to see some, buy me a case and I will pay you back.
army01
AG
Maddup.. Had the BBA version a few nights ago. I thought it was decent.

Drinking a Boxer's Revenge tonight.
La Fours
AG
I had a bomber of Hop Delusion last night.

Will look for a bottle RuinTen this afternoon.

I haven't been posting much on this thread lately.

Nice work NorCol on the Cantillon and T25.

Jetch, tell those twat muffins on BA to lick your taint.
maca1028
Staying at Faust Hotel in New Braunfels and their brewery has some good stuff
Jock 07
AG
A little Sat afternoon beer tasting

BSD
AG
Jock, you cold ass honkey!!!
jetch17
jetch17
AG
Stopped in for some RuinTen at petrol earlier to support the most bitter bar dynasty

army01
AG
Picked up a RuinTen, Ovila Quad, Shmaltz Rejewvenator, GDBC 19th Anniversary, and a Stumptown Tart today.
jetch17
AG
Doin work
La Fours
AG
Grabbed a ruinten and a hop henge this afternoon. Did some grilling for dinner so I have been drinking ruby redbird. Will hit the ruinten later tonight.
First Page Last Page
Page 236 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.