Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,568,615 Views | 62489 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by La Fours
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I'm heading on a weekend trip to Seattle, and I'm wondering what I should be on the lookout for there that I can't get in Houston.
most of what you'll see there isn't available in houston.

you can start with trying some local beers...

dave99ag
AG
Enjoyed a few good beers at a friend's house last night. Apparently the Surly brews were hard to come by.

Surly Five - Strong flavors of earthy black cherry and raisins with a sour finish. Almost tasted like candy and a bit too sour for me.

Stone Double ******* - "Ye Shall Know the *******, and the ******* Shall Set You Free." 'nuff said.

Surly Darkness - Great way to top off the evening. Full bodied Russian imperial stout with a great flavor.
p-wonk01
AG
Surly is very good! I got some from my buddy who lived in Minneapolis. If you ever find yourself in that city (or anywher within 100 miles imho) then the Town Hall Brewery is a MUST GO TO!! They have some awesome brew!

quote:
Does Deschutes make a bad beer...?

Not one that I have found! I hit up a few of their taphouse in Portland and Bend a few months ago and drank my weight in delicious brew. I wish we could get the Coleman Stout outside of the taphouse...man was that stuff tasty!
spadilly
S
Lived it up over the holidays:

Opened the following:

Deschutes Black Butte XXIII - yeah, I was going to save this. But it was cold, and I had people who appreciate good beer over. Excellent. If you know me, you know I'm a sucker for anything and everything that Deschutes puts out. Best brewery in America right now in my mind.

Chatoe Rogue First Growth OREgasmic Ale - unreal. One of the better PAs I have ever had. I would love to somehow try this on tap somewhere.

Fuller's Bottle Conditioned Vintage Ale 2007 (# 128,420 out of 150,000) - This has been sitting in the fridge since I bought it. Another one I was saving for the right time and place. A nice dinner w/ some other beer lovers proved to be the right spot. Excellent beer. Much lighter than I had expected. So delicious. I wonder if this lost any of its luster, as the label says "best by End 2010." Oh well...a year late. Screw it. It was excellent.
army01
AG
3 day weekend...wife is out of town. Where do I start and where do I finish?

AggieOO
picked up a Shiner Spring Ale tonight. Not bad at all.
aggiespartan
AG
having this right now...quite nice.
army01
AG
Started with an Iron Thistle while I began my own brew...have moved on to Jester King Black Metal Imperial Stout....damn. I am feeling pretty good now.
AggieOO
spartan - i want one of those. wish i'd found that when i was in Eugene.
aggiespartan
AG
it was delicious
AggieOO
i need to make it back to that area of the world in the near future. might have to book myself a work trip in the direction soon.
aggiespartan
AG
let us know if you do. we'll go drink some beers.
BSD
AG
I should be out to Portland for a conference this summer that coincides with Oregon Brewers Festival. I think I owe a couple of people out there a few beers!

www.oregonbrewfest.com
AggieOO
i have to see what races are coming up in that part of the world and see if I can put a trip together. I know the Euguene marathon is in may, so if there's anything else i can pair a weekend trip with, it shouldn't be hard to convince our GM to let me book it.
Green Fairy
AG
Got a sixer DFH Indian Brown Ale and a Stone Ruination IPA earlier today. Hitting up Petrol Station followed by the Karbach brewery tour tomorrow afternoon. All in all should make for a good b-day weekend.
aggiespartan
AG
We went to the brewer's festival last year and really enjoyed it. They had a great selection to taste.

Picked these up today.

[This message has been edited by aggiespartan (edited 1/6/2012 6:55p).]
bmc13
AG
can we move oregon to texas?

[This message has been edited by bmc13 (edited 1/6/2012 7:14p).]
BSD
AG
Thanks to some good Ags out west, here is today's haul!  

BSD
AG
quote:
We went to the brewer's festival last year and really enjoyed it. They had a great selection to taste.

I missed it by one day last year! I had to prepare a presentation for the conference and waited to the last minute so I missed out. Hopefully I won't have to do that again this year so I can come out a few days early. The organization that does the conference always schedules it for the week after that festival, which is pretty cool in my book.
aggiespartan
AG
Plus the weather is so nice in the summer it makes the festival that more great.

Glad (mostly) everything made it safely to you. We had fun going on the hunt for it.
bonfirewillburn
AG
Is that Temptation?!?!?!?!

once again BSD....I HATE YOU!!!!!!

AG
Nice haul!
BSD
AG
quote:
Is that Temptation?!?!?!?!

once again BSD....I HATE YOU!!!!!!

Why, yes. Yes it is. And if you hate me now, just wait for my posts next month when I'm in Santa Rosa for 4 days for the Pliny the Younger release!

Spartan, the weather was awesome. The high temps were about 35-40 degrees lower than Houston's temps when I was out there. I got to get out to Larch Mountain and the falls to enjoy the outdoors. I can't wait til this summer! And thanks again for the beers!!!
bonfirewillburn
AG
.....you make me sick!!!!

Wanna ship me a case of Damnation while your there??!?!?!?!
bonfirewillburn
AG

[This message has been edited by bonfirewillburn (edited 1/6/2012 10:31p).]
BSD
AG
quote:
Wanna ship me a case of Damnation while your there??!?!?!?!

That could be arranged.
jetch17
bonfirewillburn
AG
Hell BSD I might be in the Tine with the oven over the weekend of the 4th. IF it is completed on schedule, ill pick it up the weekend before...im sure we can work something out....!?!?!
BSD
AG
I don't get to Santa Rosa til the 10th so I won't have any by the time you get here. Besides, I need to ship yours so I can check my 2-4 cases as luggage! I gotta stock up for summer! But if the oven's here and fired up, I've got a Damnation 23 from my last trip waiting for you. And if you want to bring it over and cater my kid's bday party on the 4th, then you're hired.

Same shipping offer for you Jetch.

[This message has been edited by Bsd (edited 1/6/2012 11:49p).]
hbc07
AG
Having dead guy ale on tap tonight.
BSD
AG
I went grocery shopping at HEB Bunker Hill and picked up some Dogfishhead Burton Baton as well as Boulevard Smokestack bourbon barrel quad, which I may go back and get more of! (sorry for ending a sentence with a preposition)
hbc07
AG
having lagunitas cappuccino stout tonight.
713nervy
AG
Lagunitas beer is like a delicious kick to the face. Love that stuff.
Jock 07
AG
We get that 2X IPA here; tried it once and wasn't that big a fan. Of course that is the only dipa you can get in this town.
jah003
S
quote:
having lagunitas cappuccino stout tonight.

Saw this at the store the other night and was intrigued. I'll have to pick up a six pack today...
First Page Last Page
Page 22 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.