Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,568,417 Views | 62489 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by La Fours
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OK so I finally got to the tall grass buffalo sweat stout just now. Pairing it with some chocolate chip velvet ice cream/cheesecake of some sort.......
Oh what a little sweet piece of heaven, this is amazing. I've taken in enough calories today for the next few days, so I'm out.

corndog04
AG
hbc - Stoic is great. I don't drink a ton of big Belgian style beers, but it is as good of a quad as I've had and is right up with the best Deschutes beers. I highly recommend it. I believe it is just a limited time release and will be retired for a year or two before the next batch, so def pick one up if you can.

I think this is my fifth now. I only planned on ever drinking one or two because of the steep price tag but I can't help myself from grabbing another each time I see it.
Gator2_01
AG
Rate the Christmas Present I gave my brother yesterday:

2009 Dogfish Head World Wide Stout x2
2009 Dogfish Head Festina Peche
2011 Dogfish Head 120
2011 Dogfish Head Faithfull Ale x2
2011 Cigar City Winter Warmer

AG
quote:
Tried a sour beer for the first time on Christmas (the new Belgium lips of faith one) don't know anyone can like that crap, its like drinking vinegar

After the first session of this year's GABF, we found ourselves a bar specializing in sours that night. My SIL purchased me one and I dumped it on the floor after one sip. Needless to say I was then put in a cab and sent back to the hotel...

AG
Had a pint of Stormcloud IPA, Blonde, Ugly Pug and Dark Side of the Moon at the Rahr Tour tonight. It had been far too long since I had enjoyed a "tour" at the brewery. Time to put this back in the rotation.
Agz_2003
AG
Has anyone tried the Shiner Ryes and Shine Rye Lager?

quote:
This small batch brew is the second in our limited edition Brewer’s Pride craft brew series. Medium bodied, dark brown lager brewed with Weyermann Rye malt and Chocolate rye from Germany, caramel malt and three hop varieties. Result is a rich, roasted, dry finish with a touch of sweetness and hops.

It will only be available in our Family Reunion variety package. Available in late December through April.

62strat
AG
Cross posted from Houston beer thread:

Well, I'm ready for tomorrow night.

I think it's my highest beer run to date, totaling ~$95, cash price.

L to R:
North Coast Brother Thelonious Belgian Dubbel, 9.4%
Deschutes Stoic quadrupel, 11%
Avery Reverend quadrupel, 10%
Pike Tandem Dubbel, 7%
Anderson Valley Brother David's Triple, 10%
Full Sail Sanctuary Dubbel, 7%
Clown Shoes Muffin Top Belgian Triple IPA, 10%
Stone Cali-Belgian IPA, 6.9%
Clown Shoes Lubrication Black IPA, 6%
Bridgeport Hop harvest ale, 6.5%
Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest, 6.7%
Chimay Blue, 9%
Orval Trappist, 6.9%

fun math fact of the day: Drinking all the beer shown would be equivalent to drinking 55 oz. of 80 proof liquor (a 1.5L bottle), or equivalent to drinking 44 cans of bud light (12oz).

Needless to say, I'm gonna have lots of left overs

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 12/30/2011 4:15p).]
army01
AG
Wade Boggs could do it.
713nervy
AG
quote:
North Coast Brother Thelonious Belgian Dubbel, 9.4%

Had a couple of these the other night on tap, not realizing the alcohol content. 2 of them and I would like to say that I was done, but no. I kept drinking. Jeeeeesus.
BSD
AG
I've seen you guys take down some awesome beers in the last week, nice work! I had a Hair of the Dog Blue Dot IPA (thanks to HBC and Spartan) and 2 RRBC Supplications tonight. Life is good.
62strat
AG
quote:
Had a couple of these the other night on tap, not realizing the alcohol content.

Fox and hound had it a while back, and tues they have cheap drafts. It was just $3 a pint.
713nervy
AG
Torbush
army01
AG
My Mr. Beer homebrewer just came in from Woot. Looking forward to using it next weekend.

I realize it is the poor man's brewing system, but I wanted to try doing this, and figure the $27 with Woot is a pretty small investment to start with.
62strat
AG
just don't let it discourage you if you don't get good results, because real homebrewing can get you excellent results.
jah003
S
Currently drinking a Deschutes mirror pond pale ale... Very good! Does Deschutes make a bad beer...? (I think not)
duck79
AG
About to open an Avery Rumpkin!!
jbennett13
AG
Homebrewing! I have a belgian tripel and a double ipa fermenting right now. I am going to brew a ris tomorrow. It would be awesome to hit 80% efficiency in my first ag batch.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Old Rasputin
Rahr Bourbon Aged Winter Warmer
Stone Imperial Russian Stout
Dale Pale Ale

And a nice cigar.

Happy New Years fellow Ags and Beer Snobs. I wish you great success and many great beers.

L'chaim and Mozol Tov.
RustyBoltz
AG
Came across a Rahr & Sons Angry Goat: Weizen Doppelbock at Whole Foods tonight; bought their last one. Can't wait to get back to CS to try it.
army01
AG
Drank Angry Goat with dinner on NYE. Solid brew.

duck79
AG
FYI 120 will be available on tap at the holy grail in Plano on January 17.
wurmhole
AG
I wonder how much it will be. I like the rotten pear/cut lumber flavors in 120 but if it's $20 a glass I'm gonna have to pass.
duck79
AG
I'm not sure how much Brian charges for it but I know he sold out in 15 minutes the last time he tapped one. He is tapping burton baton and imort ale with it.
jetch17
AG
so fellow beerheads, got a question for you...

do any of yall have any experience buying bottles from ebay? Just in looking it seems as though there are some good bottles being offered veiled under Ebays 'terms of service' being disclaimed as "collectible" for the glass not the contents.

Most bottles being sold are unopened and average about $15 for shipping. Theres lots of good RRBC, 3 floyds, Dogfish & other rare brews not availabe in TX.

May ponder getting a couple just to keep in the fridge if i ever stumble on a steal of a deal.
hbc07
AG
dang... $15 for shipping? one bottle i assume?
jetch17
AG
quote:
rotten pear/cut lumber flavors

thats sounds like complete anus, but im sure is much tastier.
jetch17
AG
hbc, most of the $15 range ive seen are for bombersize or larger bottles. The Dogfish Faithfulls, Hellhounds, B****s Brews, RRBC Damnations/Consecrations ive seen are around there.

Some folk out there just selling the empty bottles, but many full unopened/sealed rarities are to be found.
army01
AG
The only time I've ever purchased an unopened bottle on ebay as the '03 Utopias...I didn't have any problems...
BSD
AG
My buddy in OK bought some Pliny off eBay with no problems. I have no experience with it though.
hbc07
AG
yikes, 3 bottles of consecration for $65 (incl. shipping), so ~$22 a bottle. i should start doing that. could make ~$8 a bottle, even with shipping.

[This message has been edited by hbc07 (edited 1/3/2012 11:25p).]
BSD
AG
quote:
i should start doing that.

Please don't!!!!
hbc07
AG
don't worry, you're in the safe. the hunt for random beers is fun.
hbc07
AG
my beer for the night:

sadly, my personal beer buying is going to be tapering off a lot from now on.
BBRex
AG
I'm heading on a weekend trip to Seattle, and I'm wondering what I should be on the lookout for there that I can't get in Houston. Any suggestions?
Gator2_01
AG
Immort Ale on draft is awesome!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.