Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,674,121 Views | 62644 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Quincey P. Morris
DonaldFDraper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Visiting family again in Iowa, picked up two Goose Island brews...Sophia 2011 & Matilda. Anyone ever heard of em?

I've had the Matilda... I'd be interested in hearing you thoughts. Best way I can describe it is a cinnamon, fruit smoothie, beer but not in a bad way. Ha.
713nervy
AG
That's the one that I had tonight (2011). My grandmother looked at it, took a sip, then asked me if I always enjoyed drinking wine.

I really, really enjoyed it! I realize that it probably should have been put on the shelf to age for a year or so, but I don't really want to haul it back to Texas in a checked backpack.

It was really amber in color and had a big flavor. The fruit was not overwhelming as it sometimes can be, but was instead very crisp--almost cider like, which is where I think she got the 'wine' taste from.

I have become pretty faithful to Goose Island brews and this continues to reinforce that.

Sofie (2011) for tomorrow.
bonfirewillburn
AG

What I arrived to at my parents house. Dad did pretty darn good!

[This message has been edited by bonfirewillburn (edited 12/24/2011 8:19a).]
BSD
AG
Time to wrap presents:

jetch17
AG
nice, nothing as sexy as that, but im gettin into the Real Ale Coffee Porter this Christmas Eve
turfman80
AG
Finally opening one of the two Westy 12's I was able to obtain this year. Following that with a Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Grand Cru ale. Cheers!
p-wonk01
AG
Enjoyed one of my Abyss 11 bottles with my brother early this morning
wurmhole
AG
My Abyss 10 is currently chillin' out on the porch, getting ready for later.

[This message has been edited by wurmhole (edited 12/25/2011 2:06p).]
62strat
AG
Picked up some brews not available in texas up here in manhattan, ks.
Locally brewed tall grass brewery. They had a mix pack of 8 tall boy cans, thought that was a great idea for someone like myself who likes variety. Wish more craft breweries would do that, it's a great way to get someone to buy a pack.
Oasis, double ESB. 7.2%
Pale Ale, 4.4%
IPA, 6.3%
Buffalo sweat stout, 5%
Had all but the stout last night, they were all really good. Nice full hop aroma, double esb was not too bitter, yet strong.
Also got a sixer of Odell pale ale and a boulevard stackhouse series trippel corker I'll be getting into tonight.

62strat
AG
also wanted to add, we were planning on hitting lunch at the other brewpub in town, little apple brewing co.
I was checking out their website. Of course in this state (like most), you can buy kegs directly from the brewery. I'm amazed what a difference it makes when a distributor is not involved.

Prices for all their year round beers:
1/6 barrel, 5.5. gal., $45
pony keg, 7.5 gal, $60
Full keg, 15 gal. $110
growler refills, $8

For reference, bud light 15 gal. keg is about $100 at specs, and saint arnold or southern star, 15 gal kegs are about $175.

All because of texas laws and 3-tier system

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 12/25/2011 2:20p).]
jetch17
AG
Mowin through another Voodoo today, MUCH better when it's cold. Also tearin up some more CLUTCH, as well!

Merry Christmas brew crew!

RustyBoltz
AG
Went by Central Market in Plano while home for the holidays and found cases of Rahr's Bourbon Barrel Aged Winter Warmer. I enjoyed their regular WW so much I picked up two for myself and two to trade with friends down in CS where we're likely to not get any.
I also found a sixer of St Arnolds Root Beer and couldn't resist.
wurmhole
AG
And with the Christmas prime rib is the Christmas Abyss.
62strat
AG
dang, continuing with what I was saying earlier about the keg prices, we took our nephew bowling, they had some craft brews on tap, boulevard and tall grass. $6 pitchers, anytime!

Again, I think it has something to do with the whole 3 tier thing. I bet there's a middle man or two less in the path from brewery to consumer up here in kansas compared to texas.

Gator2_01
AG
Kansas is also a three tier state. It's probably more a case of people in a bowling alley refusing to pay more than $6 a pitcher!

AG

I work for one of those distributors and I can tell you, if someone is charging $175 for a Saint Arnold keg they are making a very nice mark up. Obviously the 3 tier is going to mean a little bit higher prices because everybody has to make a profit but by no means does it cause unreasonable prices(on our products at least).

Are you sure that the $175 did not include the $30 keg deposit?

[This message has been edited by Duck79 (edited 12/26/2011 7:14p).]
jah003
S
Got a bottle of this in our annual beer exchange:

Split one of these with my dad over Christmas dinner (one of the better Imperial Stouts and beer in general I've had):

Currently drinking one of these and enjoying it thoroughly:

Overall... A great Holiday.
62strat
AG
Duck79, that price is straight from specs website.

To other poster, I didn't mean 3 tier so much as Texas laws not allowing brewpubs to sell straight to bars, which I'm thinking they can up here, resulting in lower prices.
Gator2_01
AG
62, growing up in KS I can tell you that they have some of the most stringent liquor laws up there. In TX breweries that produce <5000 bbls per year can self distribute.

It's the brewpub =/= brewery that's the legal issue in TX. Hopefully that will change in the future!

AG
For tonight...

Sawtooth ESB
512 Pecan Porter
Bear Republic Red Rocket
Green Flash West Coast IPA
Jock 07
AG
Tried the rodeo clown tonight @ the sygarland saucer and it I enjoyed it quite well
duck79
AG

I bet that price includes the $30 keg deposit price then.
62strat
AG
Well it's def. the difference between brewpub and brewery. I know they may be strict with beer laws in KS, but, like most states, you can buy beer from not only brewpubs, but breweries as well.
Not in texas, and that's why a st. arnold keg is $150 instead of $110. I have a feeling if laws allowed us to buy directly from them, it would drop to $110, like brewpubs here in KS and in tx.

hbc07
AG
Had clutch last night at horse brass. was pretty good.
Jock 07
AG
Tried a sour beer for the first time on Christmas (the new Belgium lips of faith one) don't know anyone can like that crap, its like drinking vinegar
aggiespartan
AG
I had Blind Pig IPA
wurmhole
AG
It's no Abyss but it's pretty tasty.

[This message has been edited by wurmhole (edited 12/27/2011 5:22p).]
wurmhole
AG
odd double post

[This message has been edited by wurmhole (edited 12/27/2011 5:21p).]
jetch17
AG
My sister got me a bigass 'texas' beer basket from Specs for Christmas.

Looks like I'll be chippin away at the offerings from Saint A, Rahr, southern star, Shiner & Real Ale for a bit. Had most of em before, but hey, I'm not one to turn down free beer!
62strat
AG
Last couple brews before we leave the little apple tomorrow:
Lost Coast Indica IPA, 6.5%
North Coast Blue Star Wheat Beer, 4.5%
Lost Coast Great White Witbier, 4.8%
Tallgrass Velvet Rooster Belgian Tripel, 8.5% (in the glass)

I paired these with some AJ's authentic NY style pizza tonight. What can I say, to this day I pretty much haven't met a craft beer I don't like. I'm not the best reviewer really, my review pretty much stops at "This is a good beer". All 4 of these have been tasty. I just have the Indica IPA to go. We have a late flight back to the tine tomorrow, so maybe, just maybe, we'll hit up a brewpub either in Topeka (Blind Tiger), Lawrence (Free State or 23rd St.), or KC (many to choose from).

bonfirewillburn
AG

Tonight's Quiver on my new Boos block I received for Xmas.<thumbs up>

The Pike Monk Uncle is rather interesting.

Slight hop at first but the addition of sugar balances it well. GREAT BODY/mouth-feel
9%
1.075 OG

Would get it again
duck79
AG
North Coast Blue Star was available in Dallas up until about a year and a half ago. I thought it was a decent beer but definitely not the best of the NC offerings. The barrel aged old Rasputin just got here last week.
corndog04
AG
On deck for this week:

aggiespartan
AG
I am so jealous that you have a bottle of the apricot from Cascade. I tried it at their brewpub and it was delicious.
hbc07
AG
corndog, tell me how the stoic is. i've been seeing it, but hesitating for some reason on buying it.
First Page Last Page
Page 20 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.