Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,640,499 Views | 62606 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by La Fours
gordo97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ska brewing has some good stuff
Jock 07
AG
modus hoperandi is indeed good shit
corndog04
AG
quote:
I'm looking forward to trying the Precursor, though I'm thinking I'll probably wait a while to try it.

Fun fact: it's bottle 1300 of a 2600 production run, right in the middle.

Where did you find it? 10 barrel makes some great stuff. I'd love to get my hands on some.

I really recommend you guys do a weekend in Bend some time if you haven't already.
hbc07
AG
quote:
Where did you find it?
belmont station had 2 or 3 bottles as of saturday, and johns market had 1 left yesterday after i left.
62strat
AG
quote:
Just found out the Bud owns Widmer brothers.
As someone said, they just own a minority stake in it. They don't brew the beer, AB just wants in on the money.

Don't let that cloud your view of whether or not the beer is good.

quote:
havent heard of anyone with it on tap. obviously no bottles to TX this year due to gay TABC.

You see this?

http://brewednotbattered.wordpress.com/2011/12/20/judgment-day-authentic-beverage-v-tabc/
This ruling will change that.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 12/20/2011 1:21p).]
BSD
AG
Strat, that was a court ruling, and not legislature that needed to be passed so we should see changes soon. This should make it easier for out of state breweries to beer here without making Texas specific labels. At the same time, it allows for a more accurate description of a brew as opposed to just "ale, beer, or malt liquor" and we can now have breweries tell us where their beers are being sold.

Sadly, the court ruled against leveling the playing field against wineries, who can sell their beer on site as also distribute. Breweries cannot currently do this. So... I recommend supporting Open the Taps so that we, as consumers, can lobby the legislature to make Texas a more craft beer friendly place to drink.
AggieOO
friend of mine's dad was one of the lawyers representing Jester King. he owned artisinal imports at one point as well.
jetch17
AG
So at dinner tonight the place had Texas beers on $2 special. I was feeling frisky and told the girl "just pick any one" ... Guess what I got... Shiner Cheer

This beer is is the equivalent of what I imagine ass-to-mouth would be like. Absolutely terrible.
corndog04
AG
nm, replied to a page 1 thread thinking it was fro today :/

[This message has been edited by corndog04 (edited 12/20/2011 8:35p).]
Jock 07
AG
couldn't agree more about the cheer really didn't expect to see it back this year

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 12/20/2011 9:20p).]
jetch17
AG
Backyard Grill fail, but its my own fault for handing my brew crew card and telling her to pick one i didnt have yet.

Luckily i made up for it with a couple of Karbach drafts afterwards
Mooch98
AG
Thought I'd take an inventory tonight. It might be evident that I love DFH, Stone & IPAs. The blank bottle on the front left is a home brew Stone IPA clone. I'm a little disappointed that I'm missing two of my favorites right now, Harpoon Leviathan Imperial IPA & DFH Burton Baton. I left all of the watered down lawn mowing beer out of the pic.

[This message has been edited by Colonel Rhombus (edited 12/20/2011 9:41p).]
jetch17
AG
Tine-folk... Petrol Station is doing "the great Petrol bottle share" Friday at 4pm for people to bring in rare beers and share them in the spirit of Christmas.

might be interesting.
BSD
AG
Hmm, I may see if I can get a hall pass that afternoon. I can't get too plowed though, as we're having guests over for dinner that night.
Gator2_01
AG
If you're in the NW Florida area...

AG
jetch, rockwell does a beer meeting every wed. bring a bottle, and they split em all up for all to try.
jetch17
AG
open to anyone? or is it a secret society?

i dont have much rare stuff, but the girl behind the bar said i should bring some of the Voodoo Doughnut & Clutch next time.
AggieOO
co-worker is headed to Seattle tonight for the holidays. she will bring me back a bottle of whatever i want. what should i tell her to bring me back? its been 8 years since i've been to seattle.
BSD
AG
If I do the Petrol bottle share on Friday, I'll be taking a Voodoo and some RRBC. I was hoping my Dark Lord would be here by now but I just figured out that I never told the guy to ship it. Doh!
jetch17
AG
i dont know if ill be able to make Petrol Friday with family coming in town...
BSD
AG
Drag them along. I might have a 2yr old with me.
helgs
AG
Colonel, Rochefort 10 is the tits.
BSD
AG
TABC commented to Open the Taps that they "do not plan to appeal" and that everything should be setup within 90 days.

Oh hells yeah.
62strat
AG
jetch, yeh open door policy.. they don't advertise it cause she doesn't want 50 people showing up.. but the small circle of beer nuts there know about it and welcome new comers.

doesn't have to be anything rare, just whatever you can find.

There's one dude that has a crazy cellar, he has every DR, 5-10 yr old barley wines.. all sorts of stuff.
jetch17
AG
Sweet, busy tonight but maybe next week
jetch17
AG
heres the list of what will be available at the Petrol Xmas party (after the bottle swap) if anyone was thinking of going:

quote:
Friday dec 23 Xmas party draft- anchor Xmas, saint Arnold Xmas, Avery the beast, Avery duganA, stone vertical epic 11/11/11, lagunitas sucks, no label elda m milik stout, clown shoes supa hero, OB ten fidy, squatters outer darkness imp. Stout, cask saint Arnold DR 11, cask real ale porter. 5pm Friday. Plus buffalo bayou brewing co. will be giving out samples
DonaldFDraper
AG
Saint Arnolds Santos
Santa's Private Reserve Ale
Old Rasputin
Yeti imperial Stout
Racer IPA
army01
AG
Putting together Santa gifts right now....Insanely Bad Elf:

62strat
AG
I had the regular bad elf just a bit back on my vegas trip.. That was a tasty brew
smucket
AG
This is pretty good. Stole the pic, my blackberry is broken
Jock 07
AG
In the spirit of giving, the beer guy with the beard @ the JV Specs let me buy the last one of these that he had stashed away for himself and wished me a hoppy holidays

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 12/23/2011 3:09p).]
713nervy
AG
Visiting family again in Iowa, picked up two Goose Island brews...Sophia 2011 & Matilda. Anyone ever heard of em?
TxKng82
AG
Heard of Goose Island but never had any of their brews
aggiespartan
AG
Had a couple of Goose Island beers. I have had 312 and a bourbon stout. Pretty good beers from a Chicago brewery.
BSD
AG
Just left the Petrol Station bottle share. First and foremost, let me call out Jetch for pussing out.

Secondly, this is something I plan to do every year until I die, and then I hope they spread my ashes on the ground where people empty those last few drops of thier cups. Some of my favorites:

Dank tank Sweet water mean joe bean
Founders breakfast stout
Belzebuth
Dreadnaught IPA 
Heady topper  alchemist IPA
Goose Island Nightstalker
Oude  gueze Boone 
Rasputin 14
Smokestack bourbon barrel quad 
Pliny the Elder (yeah, I have this at home but I can't get enough)

There were many many more and I just didn't write down the name of every beer I tasted, but there were some damn fine beers poured. I took a RRBC Framboise for the Cure, a RRBC Damnation 23, and a Rogue Voodoo. The voodoo disappeared in about a minute, with several people requesting more. The other 2 were also well received.

Now time for a wine dinner at my house...
First Page Last Page
Page 19 of 1789

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.