Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,568,915 Views | 62489 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by La Fours
62strat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
taproom sales are certainly not a must. Sales to bars(kegs) is the must for a startup brewery in Texas

But the bar has to buy the keg first.
And if no one knows about them, it's tough to sell the product.

Plus, selling your keg to a bar generates, what, $75 for a 5 gal. keg?
Selling $40 pints at $4 a piece? It's not rocket science to figure out why a taproom can be successful at start up.
kwammer
I hear what you are saying 62, but as an investor in a local Texas brewery, I can assure you that we will make more money distributing than running a tap room.

Margin is great, but the volume from a taproom for most startup breweries will not be there, unless they are located in a accessible area and decide to run the taproom more like a bar or brewpub. Ask most of the current startups if they are really interested in running a bar and the answer will be somewhere between no and maybe.

btw..I am not trying to be argumentative. Just trying to provide some perspective from this side of the table.

[This message has been edited by kwammer (edited 3/21/2013 10:27a).]
aTm08
Picked these up at Stein's Deli in NOLA last week. They have an awesome selection of beers and you can buy any beer in single bottles if you want to try a lot of different kinds.

Had the Blue Hitachino, Hipster Ale, and the Southern Pecan. All of them were really good!

[This message has been edited by aTm08 (edited 3/21/2013 10:12a).]
wessimo
AG
quote:
It's very short sighted to not want those laws to pass in Texas because you like 4 beers for $7. If you want craft beer to grow in texas those changes must be made.

I never said i didnt want it to pass - i'm all for any changes that allow for the industry to continue to expand. This law just does not do much to benefit the consumer directly - i wish they had at least gotten in a provision for take home sales / growler fills directly from the brewery.
62strat
AG
kwammer, yeh I hear you. The main problem is of course the texas laws, which won't allow for a taproom for onsite consumption/packaged sales as well as distributing, unlike most states who aren't confined by that type of law. So yeh maybe it makes sense in TX to just go the distribution route. As long as they can sell 'tour tickets' and give away a few beers, they pretty much have a tasting room as it is.
army01
AG

Vernada
AG
Just back from specs at 290 @ Jones.

Scored:

2 x Hellfighter
4-pack of Oskar Ten Fidy

Guy told me they sold out of their DR allotment in 5 hours.
The Beer and I
Vernada, that's where I got mine. Unfortunately, they limited to 1 six pack or 2 bombers. There was a line, so I wandered over to the bomber section. I walked out with a six pack of DR13, a Hellfighter, 2 Stone Old Guardians (a regular and an oak smoked), a Deschutes Hop Henge, and an Ommegang Art of Darkness. I almost blew my monthly beer allotment at lunch on Monday.
Jock 07
AG
The smoked OG is definitely smokey.
La Fours
AG
Currently drinking a DR13. Very good. I haven't had a lot of quads, but I do like this one. It's not something I would drink more than 1 in a sitting, but still very good.
NColoradoAG
I guess im with strat. Most places in CO focus on taproom sales before distro. Maybe its the margins and the fact that self distribution is worthwhile here. Ive never heard of anyone getting $2 million for distribution rights. Maybe for a well established brewery entering a new market, like an Odell or Goose Island. That seems like a crazy investment for a start up brewery.
AggieOO
having a don jalapeno from no label. i was hesitant, but its not bad. i wouldn't buy a sixer, but i wouldn't turn down a pint if someone was buying a round.
Vernada
AG
I guess I'll have to try a pint at some point. But there is nothing appealing to me about the idea of a jalepeno beer. Actually, I find pretty much nothing appealing about No Label. Maybe I need to hit up their tour and sample their range.
streetfighter2012
AG
Anyone have suggestions for quads? I'm not very familiar with the style and would like to either try a couple before or do a side by side tasting with some DR13
AggieOO
Vernada - i really like No Label's Ridgeback. The milk stout was decent, but I prefer left hand. Haven't had any of their other beers. The jalapeno is decent...the more i drink, the less i want though. Not that its bad...just not a session-type beer. Tastes like a typical brown ale on the front end with a jalapeno taste on the back end.
62strat
AG
Street fighter - Avery makes a good quad, can't remember the name maybe the reverend?
AggieOO
the reverend is delicious.
AggieOO
oh, picked up a sixer of Goose Island Summertime.
WorkBoots09
AG
Trying a Twisted Pine Northstar Imperial Porter. It's ok, a little boozy, but at 9% that's understandable. Not bad. I'd be interested if they ever did a barrel aged version (yes I realize they are barrel happy). Not sure if I could find it in DFW though. Any leads?

[This message has been edited by WorkBoots09 (edited 3/21/2013 10:43p).]
The Beer and I
Streetfighter, like I said earlier, St. Bernardus Abt 12 is widely considered one of the best beers in the world period. It's a true Belgian quad, and the bomber (really 750 ml) is pretty readily available. I've also heard Gulden Draak 9000 is supposed to be good too, but haven't had it myself.
jetch17
AG
i have been very underwhelmed by No Label, and all i really want of the jalepeno ale is about a tasters worth ... its not BAD, im just over rhe pepper infused beers... although the NL offering is better than the burn your anus infusions of other brews
aggiez71
I had the No Label Ridgeback tonight and despite really wanting to like a Tecas brewery I just wasn't very impressed. I wouldn't pick up a six pack to drink. I need to try and find the DR13, and I'm really mad I missed the Real Ale tap takeover at Harvey's tonight, sounds like those guys are damn cool

I also made beer burgers with Deschutes Butte porter tonight and I thought it added a great flavor, needs to play with beer and cooking more.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Got a taste of this Black Crack tonight. Tasted way different than other BA porters/stouts I've had. Really, really liked it.
Jock 07
AG
St Bernardus quad is damn good
62strat
AG
damn i totally forgot about abt 12.. I just had that on draft a couple days ago. That is def. a paradigm quad., along with westvleteren 12 of course.

also try 3 philosophers or boulevard's sixth glass.
62strat
AG
south denver ags..

At Parry's in highlands ranch, this saturday 11-11.

On tap:
Consecration
Temptation
Sanctification
Supplication
Damnation
Vernada
AG
quote:
St Bernardus quad is damn good

just picked up a bottle

as well as another Hellfighter and a bottle of The Dogfather (bourbon barrel aged).
La Fours
AG
I scored a bottle of Old Rasputin barrel aged, an Ommegang Game of Thrones, and a Oak Smoked Old Guardian at lunch. I'm going to swing by HEB on the way home to see about getting a Black Crack by Southern Star.
La Fours
AG
Oh and I know I'll get ridiculed for this, Shiner ruby red bird is back on shelves.
BSD
AG
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaay gif
BQ08
AG
Anyone in the Austin area know where I can score some Southern Star Black Crack (excluding the Rundberg area- not THAT kind of crack.)?
La Fours
AG
quote:
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaay gif

Ha. I also scored 2 black cracks at heb.
La Fours
AG
Between specs and heb today I dropped about $80 on beer.
AggieOO
my "go to" places for beer are Sunrise and Hamrick's, but I'm up north. don't know if either place has it though.
Jock 07
AG
Picked up a bottle of this today

First Page Last Page
Page 189 of 1786

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.