Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,671,125 Views | 62636 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by maca1028
Hub05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are there any Ags in Tampa for the Hunahpu release from Cigar City Brewery today? I'm hoping to pick up a few bottles
jah003
S
Headed to Jester King today to tour/sample. Will most certainly head next door as well and get some pizza and a few bottles.
cpscAG06
AG
Jah,

Have fun and the pizza place is on the premises. It's a great time.

[This message has been edited by cpscAG06 (edited 3/9/2013 10:45a).]
BSD
AG
quote:
Are there any Ags in Tampa for the Hunahpu release from Cigar City Brewery today? I'm hoping to pick up a few bottles

Crap, I knew there was something I was supposed to do today!
AggieOO
I love big, aged beers, but I'm ready for some lighter seasonals to start hitting bars. It's march in Texas, that's like summer up north.
NColoradoAG
quote:

So jelly. Want to trade one?
jah003
S
Had a really great day out at Jester King... I was amazed how much it had "blown up" since I last visited 6 months ago. Best sample of the day was the Salt Lick (should be out in stores in the next few weeks). Made my way through all 10 samples and grabbed a pint and 3 pizzas (to share amongst 4 people) at Stanley's. It was crazy packed! Don't know if it was due to SXSW or just spring break.

Best part of the whole day was hitting up Twin Liquors on the way back in bee caves. Ended up with an Enjoy By, Pepe Negro, and Old Guardian.

[This message has been edited by jah003 (edited 3/9/2013 6:22p).]
Hub05
AG
NColorado, I would be more than happy to set up a trade and share a bottle from today's haul. Post your email and I will get in contact tonight
BSD - first right of refusal for the second bottle?

Overall a good event put on by Cigar City Brewery (CCB), but it lacked organization. Its a relatively small place that is just unable to effectively accommodate > 5000 people, yet they do it anyway. The lines were extremely long and specific beers were a little difficult to locate. Between the rib and I got to try:

CCB Cubano Espresso Brown Ale - great 9 am coffee/beer
CCB Chocolate Cherry Almond Scotch Ale - too sweet, heavy cherry flavor, the wife loved it
CCB Cervezas Frescas Series Guanabana Ale - eh, tasted like light ale with orange juice
Ballast Point Habanero Scuplin IPA - i love scuplin but the habanero heat overpowered any and all flavors; i was disappointed
CCB Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Brown Ale - tasted like the cookie, no distict beer taste to add to the cookie; too sweet for my taste
Funky Buddha Last Snow Porter - favorite beer of the day - heavy dark chocolate and coconut

[This message has been edited by Hub05 (edited 3/9/2013 7:01p).]
NColoradoAG
Awesome! You are the man

Adam dot Klett at gmail dot com
Hub05
AG
email sent
BSD
AG
quote:

BSD - first right of refusal for the second bottle?

Sho nuff!!! I'll get your email from NCol. Appreciate the look!
Vernada
AG
Just poured a Blue Icon. I read positive reviews about it so hopefully...,
Vernada
AG
Also, I ate at Mia's last night and they had bottles of Bishop Barrel 2. I grabbed one. And then promptly returned it when they said it was $12! I settled for Real Ales Lost Gold IPA on draft for $4 per instead.

[This message has been edited by Vernada (edited 3/10/2013 3:05p).]
KVB07
AG
Wife and I just got back from Freetails I'm San Antonio where I had their End of the World Ale, and it was awesome. Although I am not overly well versed in porters, I would say that this is the best I have had in a very long time.

Anyone else ever had it?
Robert C. Christian
AG
quote:
And then promptly returned it when they said it was $12!

I remember a situation like this at O'Bannon's after I graduated. I ordered a SA Divine Reserve, guy said it was ~$12. I had to laugh because I still looked like a broke ass college kid. Got the beer, and it was great.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
Ballast Point Habanero Scuplin IPA - i love scuplin but the habanero heat overpowered any and all flavors; i was disappointed

I was at the brewery about a month ago and had a chili either lager or sasion and I thought they over did the chili a bit as well. Needed another beer on standby to cool off the heat.
Jock 07
AG
Found this tonight in a box of stuff I brought out here with me from Minot.
As long as I've had it now, I was surprised that the taste hasn't faded.

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 3/11/2013 12:06a).]
p-wonk01
AG
Jock...I really like Surley beer! Their Bender (brown ale) is probably my favorite from them right now. I was also lucky enough to get a hold of a bottle of Darkness.
p-wonk01
AG
I’m about to head on a European vacation with the wife and would like to try some of the brew there obviously. Sadly, we will be more in the wine region of Germany and only passing through Belgium, but I’ll see what I can do to find a nice beer hall. We will be in the following cities (in no particular order):
London
Amsterdam
Innsbruck
Lucerne
Vaduz (Liechtenstein)
St. Goar (Germany) – Rhine Valley
Rome
Venice
Florence
Nice
Monaco
Paris
If any of you World travelers have any suggestions of great beer halls or “must have” brews in these regions then please let me know. I’d appreciate any other general suggestions as well, as we’ve never been there before or traveled internationally. You are welcome to use my e-mail if you don’t care to post here. TIA!
NColoradoAG
Im no help, but I would think you'd have an easy time finding plenty of Lambic and Struise stuff. Sucks you won't be in Belgium much. As a beer lover, I think I could spend two weeks in that little country visiting Cantillon, Drie Foneteinen, Girardin, all the blending shops, and all of the Abbeys.

The beeradvocate forums have a very active international section. You could probably find a ton of information by lurking those.
WorkBoots09
AG
I'm in winter park this week, and due to my lack of coordination, I'm not hitting the slopes. Instead while the rib does the snow thing, I'm hitting a couple spots to drink some Colorado goodness.

At the cheeky monk, had a St. Bernardus ABT 12 quadruppel. Absolutely fantastic. I didn't think I liked Belgian beers that much, but this one has won me over.

This morning we stopped by a small liquor store in the resort area that did $13 six pack singles so I got left hand milk stout (for my wife, I've had several before), Great Divide Hibernation Ale, FCB Chocolate stout, NB Springboard, Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout, and Left Hand Sawtooth Ale.

So far the Chocolate Stout was good. A little heavier on the bitterness than I'm used to in a chocolate stout, but still nice.

I've had hibernation before, and I forgot how much I like this beer. I will get this any time I see it from now on. Just a great ale.

At this altitude I need to pace myself a little bit. I might go back to the store for a Firestone Walker Porter that I saw. Has anyone had it before?
62strat
AG
St. B. ABT 12 was one of my first Belgians as well. Actually the second. The first was Affligem Tripel.. try that one as well, although tripels are quite a bit different from dubbels and quadrupels.

jh0400
AG
I'm going to try to stop by Santa Fe Brewing Company next weekend. I've seen some of their beers around town but have never tried any of them. Has anyone been, and is it worth it?
NColoradoAG
Workboots, I'd suggest looking for some bombers of the Backcounty brewing offerings. They're priced right and very good. You cant sleep on Odell either. Everything they make is fantastic. You might find some dry dock cans. Those would be fresh since they just started canning. Upslope might also be up there. Their foreign stout is very good. I don't know if they'd have anything from River North, or Funkwerks but you could ask. They both brew some nice Belgian styles that you might be into.

Enjoy WP! Other than Steamboat, it's the best mountain spot in CO.
jetch17
AG
Sup beanbags, been locked up for a week.

Partaking in some barn burner the lady picked up at the sto'

Vernada
AG
Welcome back.

Swilling down some Real Ale IPA tonight. Gotta keep in reined in though since #2 is due to appear any time now.
jetch17
AG
Awesome, didn't realize it was almost go-time!
Vernada
AG
Close enough to get nervous. 34 weeks now. Last one came at 27.
jetch17
AG
Hoooo-weee, let us know if you guys need anything
WorkBoots09
AG
Welp, I blew through the rest of those pretty quick. I have to admit I was not at all a fan of the springboard. Just not my cup of tea at all.

After tasting the BB Oatmeal stout, I think I've had it before and I recall naming it in my top five regular oatmeals. I liked it a lot.

We went back to the liquor store and got a bomber of Firestone Walker porter. Wow, what a great complex beer. The aroma is distinctly hoppy, but the taste is fairly balanced. I enjoyed this one too, but it was the last one on the shelf, and I've never seen them in Texas. It may be a while before I get to have anything else from them.

I picked up a bunch of pale ales to try (nothing special, just ones I've never had before): GD Denver pale ale, GD Orabelle, BB Avalanche, Full Sail IPA, Left hand Stranger pale ale, and another Hibernation.

Just had the Denver pale ale. Very light body. Not bad, but nothing to write home about. I think I'll try the stranger next.
army01
AG
quote:
Welcome back.

Swilling down some Real Ale IPA tonight. Gotta keep in reined in though since #2 is due to appear any time now.

I'm there with you...haven't touched a bottle in a week...but wife is being induced at 7:30 tomorrow morning, so Thursday night will be a celebration when we make it back home.
Jock 07
AG
Locked up dropping JCI Grogans?
jetch17
AG
62strat
AG
quote:
We went back to the liquor store and got a bomber of Firestone Walker porter.... it was the last one on the shelf, and I've never seen them in Texas. It may be a while before I get to have anything else from them.

Seems I've seen talk on here about them coming to Texas soon?

quote:
I picked up a bunch of pale ales to try: GD Orabelle

Orabelle is a Belgian Tripel But close enough I guess!
jkn09
AG
Firestone Walker is in Austin now, and is headed to DFW in the next month or so. Can't wait to get me some Wookie Jack.
First Page Last Page
Page 185 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.