Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,674,696 Views | 62646 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Jock 07
fav13andac1)c
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's bad form to drink beer from a straw
Objective Aggie
AG
A Japanese entry.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Oh, I'd never give her beer!

She's drinking whiskey.
CDub06
AG
Stout szn

But these IPAs are hitters

maca1028
Finally off after a crazy ass four days sleeping at the plant. Great beer but I'd honestly stick my dick in a coors light after the week I've had.
steve00
AG
While I haven't had to deal with power outages or water leaks, my winter storm damage has been worse than anticipated.

Of the 7 bottles in this box, 1 of the only 2 that mattered didn't make it.

wessimo
Cyprian
AG
A great beer deserves a great glass

-------------
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That sucks. Want me to give the sender a tutorial?
FriedTex
AG
B+
steve00
AG
It was packed well as always. I think it froze. This guy has been shipping to me for 7-8 years with no issues.
Chipotlemonger
AG
steve00 said:

It was packed well as always. I think it froze. This guy has been shipping to me for 7-8 years with no issues.
Welp, nevermind then! Bummer.
BSD
AG
Ouch...
La Fours
AG
Oh no.
62strat
AG
steve00 said:

Isn't PtY over 10%?

That would have to be pretty cold, for a while. 10%ers don't even freeze in my freezer (0*) if my memory serves me correctly.
Also, the several beers I'm ashamed to admit I have frozen on accident, it never busted like that. Just oozes out the cap, which is by far the weakest point.
steve00
AG
PtY is 10.25% this year. According to my googling on the topic, a 10% beer will freeze at 25 degrees.

Assuming the FedEx plane from San Francisco to NY was insulated/heated and stayed above freezing, the 12 hours it took to get from NY to DC (presumably by truck) could have done it, but it looks like the temperature in the area was around 28 degrees that night, so I guess you are right - it probably didn't freeze and explode.

Since the box was so soggy that my fingers made holes in the sides when I picked it up, I coudn't really tell if it got dropped or smashed by another box. I guess that is probably what happened though. I'm surprised they delivered it at all since it was in such bad shape. They even put the box in a plastic bag because it was so wet.
Objective Aggie
AG
I see a lot of Pliny the Elder on this thread. How do I get some?

Live in Dallas area.
BSD
AG
Objective Aggie said:

I see a lot of Pliny the Elder on this thread. How do I get some?

Live in Dallas area.

Fly to California. Go to RRBC. Get drunk. Eat some mother ****ing Drew Bites. Bring home Pliny.
jetch17
AG
First rule of Pliny club...

... but you really just have to have a CA connection thats willing to ship.
jetch17
AG
and BSD's suggestion is WAY better
Kyle98
AG
In Waco next week for a conference, any of the breweries there worth a visit?
Bulldog73
AG
Definitely not Bare Arms. Brotherwell is a maybe, but I haven't talked to anyone that's been.
62strat
AG
steve00 said:

PtY is 10.25% this year. According to my googling on the topic, a 10% beer will freeze at 25 degrees.

Maybe that's the freezing point, but yeh, again, that would take quite a while.

Normal ice takes a few hours at 0*, and those are small thin ice cubes.

here is math showing freezing time of 16oz of water at its freezing point = almost 9 hours.
https://www.quora.com/Thermodynamics-How-long-does-it-take-a-bottle-of-water-to-freeze-while-at-a-temperature-of-32-degrees-F

It's been 20 years since I took thermo so I can't vouch for accuracy!

Science aside, my experience (maybe a dozen bottles), a frozen beer makes its way through the cap. Deforming it, frozen foam leaking through, etc.

Would be an interesting experiment to see how solid of a seal you'd need to have the freeze burst the glass.
steve00
AG
Less science - more beer!

At least I got one this year. Very tasty.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Nice GFCIs
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Been a pretty incredible beer week for my. PtY on Monday, fresh Heady on Friday.

ChipFTAC01
AG
After a heck of a week I thought Id pull this out to finish it off. Thanks Mike!

CDub06
AG
I know it's stout szn, but the IPAs keep winning...

Other Half is always a treat.
steve00
AG
Nice. I'm a few days behind you on this path, but if all goes well I should have some VT beers tomorrow. It's only a six hour round trip drive to the closest place that has them.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
No idea why my little beer shop in Oregon go some fresh Heady and Focal Banger. But I'll take it. They apparently drove all the way from VT to Oregon to distribute it.
Jock 07
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

No idea why my little beer shop in Oregon go some fresh Heady and Focal Banger. But I'll take it. They apparently drove all the way from VT to Oregon to distribute it.

They've been showing up here in SoCal and I've seen them pop up in CO as well. I think they're doing a limited distribution or something.
Now I'm hoping to see some sip of sunshine now.
Mustang1
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Had both in Vail last summer. Shop owner said he randomly gets a case every once in a while.
62strat
AG
Man... bit of a slow start this morning. This was after a crowler of something that I don't even remember.

Kyle98
AG
Bulldog73 said:

Definitely not Bare Arms. Brotherwell is a maybe, but I haven't talked to anyone that's been.

My hotel is right across the river from Brotherwell. I might check it out and report back.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Nice. I did a vertical tasting at Meddlesome Moth in Dallas years back of Three Philosophers. Didn't know they did it in different variants too.
First Page Last Page
Page 1593 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.