Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,643,921 Views | 62617 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by swampstander
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Okay, it's that time of year! I did this last year and it was fun to see the different opinions and answers. Page 1477 if you care to go back and look at your own response! Actually did this on 12/28 last year too.

Respond with:

1. Favorite beer of 2020
2. Beer you drank the most of in 2020
3. Favorite brewery you visited in 2020
4. What brewery would you want to visit in 2021 that you have never been to before?
5. Any other notes...did your favorite style of beer change, did you get to do anything "beer bucket list" like, etc.
jah003
S
1. Favorite beer of 2020
Probably Jester King El Regalo Del Comal. Just an absolutely perfect beer.
Without looking at Untappd it's probably something from Pinthouse or Austin Beerworks
2020 was a weird ass year for visiting breweries. Drekker was cool even though I didn't actually go inside. Did go to Austin Beerworks several times and obviously enjoyed that.
4. What brewery would you want to visit in 2021 that you have never been to before?
Lot of new Austin breweries popping up with killer outdoor areas. Would love to visit Meanwhile at some point.
5. Any other notes...did your favorite style of beer change, did you get to do anything "beer bucket list" like, etc.
I'm about done with Hazy IPA's... give me a nice Pils and that's all I need.
Chipotlemonger
AG
1. Favorite beer of 2020 - I will go with 2
  • RRBC Beatification - got to have this for the first time earlier this year, freaking amazing beer
  • Burial Beer Co. Metallic Vessels - Courtesy of Covid, I was able to try this when I ordered some Burial Beer back in the spring direct from them. Black lager with coffee that hit on all the right notes.
  • Outside of some homebrew, Sierra Nevada Celebration IPA has my highest # of check ins this year on Untapp'd
  • Not sure if this is going to be as relevant this year for us! I will say Henhouse though in Santa Rosa. Runner up is Crooked Goat in Sebastopol. Went to both in January.
  • Same answer every year, Hill Farmstead
  • I've transitioned over the last year or so to where I am not just buying singles of beer to "try the most" anymore. I am getting more 4- and 6-packs nowadays, and going back to beers I've had and know I enjoy more so than in the past.
62strat
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

• RRBC Beatification - got to have this for the first time earlier this year, freaking amazing beer

I'm picking up a beatification tonight.. so maybe it's too early to respond to this as the year ain't over yet!
Jock 07
AG
1. Favorite beer of 2020
Don't do untapped so just going of memory here but Fremont's 11th anniversary was damn good
Monkish IPAs and it's not really even close
Only breweries I made it to this year with all of the lockdowns were Monkish & Smog City pre lockdown and then Firestone in Venice once they built their outdoor setup until comendante newsome shut it all down again.
This will always be Cantillon

jwag
AG
1. Favorite beer of 2020
Une Annee - Le Grand Monde 2019 (pinot)
New Glarus varietals
JK cause covids
Cantillon
Less tart sours, more fruited
steve00
AG
1. Favorite beer of 2020
Maine Dinner

Either Lawson's Sip of Sunshine or Maine Lunch

Lawson's Finest Liquids - great property. Wish I had planned for more time there. Had two beers and then moved on to Alchemist. Alchemist was not nearly as good an experience.

Trillium

Done with sours. Sticking to 95% IPAs and 5% barrel aged stouts now.
CDub06
AG
1. Favorite beer of 2020
My highest rated was Braaaaaaains Strawberry & Lemon. In fact, 4 of my top 5 were those imperial smoothie sour styles.

93% of mine were new beers. But B52's Taeda has become my go to.

I somehow surprisingly visited 45 breweries (!!) this year, but of the new ones, my favorite was probably my very first of 2020 - Westbrook in Charleston.

Any of the ones y'all are listing obviously, but I still NEED to go to Weldwerks.

I'm still a hazy/ipa/sour boy, but I've found that there are some nice pilsners out there. I had a few Italian style pilsners that were awesome and will be exploring that more.
AggieOO
1. Favorite beer of 2020
Not sure to be honest. Recently, my favorite is Coco Van from Hubbard's Cave.

Again, not sure, but if I had to guess, Peacemaker from ABW. That's typically a go to for a beer I can drink a lot of. Its either that or Thirsty Goat, which tends to a be "go to" that i can grab almost anywhere.

Didn't hit many, other than getting stuff to go. Beer wasn't amazing, but I guess I'll say Enchanted Circle Brewing, just b/c the views from outside are good. For an austin area, Redhorn will always be at the top of my list. I can do a run or ride my mountain bike from their parking lot and then end with a really solid beer.

Probably Central Waters.

Wasn't a big beer "year" for me, but the biggest surprise for me is that I did actually find a milkshake IPA that I liked. Fairly shocking to me.
Scriffer
AG
AggieOO said:

Wasn't a big beer "year" for me, but the biggest surprise for me is that I did actually find a milkshake IPA that I liked. Fairly shocking to me.

AggieOO
It was a Strawberry Double Marbles I picked up from Tavour, so i'll probably never have it again. It was really good cold, but as it started warming, the hops really started to come through the lactose and fruit. It was still enjoyable, but not as good as it was when i first cracked it.

I've always been open to trying stuff, even if I don't like the style...so i guess it was potentially bound to happen eventually. I've checked in 78 different IPAs on untapped, which means I've definitely drank more than that, so my batting average isn't very good.

I'll keep trying them. The funny part about this one is that the only reason I bought it was b/c I was already about 6 strong beers deep talking to my brother in law on zoom and I opened up tavour to show him a different beer I bought. I "accidentally" bought the Double Marbles while intoxicated. Definitely wouldn't have picked it up sober, but I'm glad I did.
Bmac04
AG
1. Favorite beer of 2020
Starry Noche

Heady Topper

Hill Farmstead...the goat

Not many I haven't been to that I want to but need to check out the new RR location in Windsor.

Finally realized that I don't need to chase new ticks and I'm fine getting 2 cases a month of Hill Farmstead.
62strat
AG
62strat said:

Chipotlemonger said:

I'm picking up a beatification tonight.. so maybe it's too early to respond to this as the year ain't over yet!

Glad I waited. This is the best beer I had in 2020!

MarathonAg12
Hello.

Does anyone know if they are selling Karbach's 12th Man beer in stores yet? Specifically, Central Texas....hosting a little watch party this weekend
betadawg1
AG
Wasn't a fan of either one of these, but had these 2 left so decided to combine them. The sum was definitely better than the parts IMHO, like a coconut chocolate milk.
betadawg1
AG
This was a very good one. 2018

dave99ag
AG
Nice eff you to the TABC.
Hudson2508
AG
1. Favorite beer of 2020
Hill Farmstead Aaron. Luckily got to drink the best beer in the world a 2nd time when I became an owner of my company this year.
Either ABGB Rocket 100 or Live Oak Pilz
Didn't do many this year but I'll go with St. Elmo's
Absolutely need to get to Hill Farmstead
I think it's pretty amazing where the beer world is these days. The fact that I can now buy Maine Lunch in Texas is astounding and awesome. Great beer has never been so accessible and you really don't have to hunt much any more to get it.

Cheers gentlemen!
jah003
S
Best value in beer and it's not particularly close...
Scriffer
AG
Found some Jai Alai canned on 12/12 at Target of all places.
betadawg1
AG

Quincey P. Morris
AG
If you see it, I highly recommend it.
FriedTex
AG
It blows this years KBS out of the water
jgh85Ag
AG
FriedTex said:

It blows this years KBS out of the water

From what KBS I have had, that is a low bar.
TAM85
Where are you guys finding the Lagunitas?
K Bo
AG
I saw it at HEB Houston Heights last Sunday (before noon )
CDub06
AG
Love that series. How's the double?
La Fours
AG
I had the double a week or two ago and really liked it. It was pretty similar to the regular.
jah003
S
TAM85 said:

Where are you guys finding the Lagunitas?
Pretty much everywhere in the Austin area. Although pickings are pretty slim... and that's probably mostly due to me. Grabbed another 3 four packs today.
TAM85
Thanks
jh0400
AG
1. Favorite beer of 2020 - Probably Pliny for President
2. Beer you drank the most of in 2020 - Saint Arnold Juicy IPA
3. Favorite brewery you visited in 2020 - Burial
4. What brewery would you want to visit in 2021 that you have never been to before? Hill Farmstead
5. Any other notes...did your favorite style of beer change, did you get to do anything "beer bucket list" like, etc. - Nothing really changed here
DallasAggie2012
AG
1. Favorite beer of 2020
My favorite was Trillium's barrel aged Danish Gentleman that a buddy shared with me recently. It was like a sweet drinkable breakfast pastry.

Probably Celestial When All Helles Breaks Loose. Super crushable helles.

Checked out Cerebral in Denver on the way out to Rocky Mountain National Park. Cerebral definitely delivered on the brews.

Still dying to go check out Hill Farmstead.

I transitioned further into the lower ABV styles. Lots of pilsners and helles throughout the year. I probably drank fewer stouts this year than any before. Brewed my first homebrew this year, and while it did oxidize some, it was still fun and drinkable.
TAM85
Found some at Spec's and am looking forward to trying it.
wessimo
AG
1. Favorite beer of 2020 - Pliny for President
2. Beer you drank the most of in 2020 - I don't think I had more than a couple six packs of any one beer. I may have had that amount of Eureka Heights Wow Factor and Houston Haze.
3. Favorite brewery you visited in 2020 - Spindletap. Great outdoor setup for pandemic times.
4. What brewery would you want to visit in 2021 that you have never been to before? I'd like to go to Ayinger (near Munich) if travel restrictions are lifted this year.
5. Any other notes...did your favorite style of beer change, did you get to do anything "beer bucket list" like, etc. I swore off any beer containing lactose, just don't enjoy them. Mostly drank hazy IPAs these year along with pilsners and an occasional stout.
turfman80
AG
D&Q Beer Station in Houston is now stocking Schramm's Mead
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
First Page Last Page
Page 1582 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.