Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

THE BEER THREAD

7,674,875 Views | 62646 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Jock 07
Objective Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Objective Aggie
AG

K Bo
AG
Haul from Great Raft in Shreveport on the way to Mena, AR
Kyle98
AG
Interesting flavors, but way too sweet.

Fantastic can art, though.
jh0400
AG
I really wish you could get Commotion in Houston. It's one of the better readily available pale ales.
dave99ag
AG
I can only imagine the challenges it is to make a hazy pale ale in Utah limiting to 5%. This wasn't terrible.

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Nice and boozy on a cool night.
jah003
S
Happy Sputnik Day!
K Bo
AG
DDH Commotion was amazing. Considering going back through Shreveport on the way home to get more.
dave99ag
AG
Condo beers in Park City.

La Fours
AG
Did you bring that with you? And if so where did you get it?
dave99ag
AG
Yes and at HEB in the Woodlands. I've never seen it in CS.
steve00
AG
The Electric Jellyfish is a very good hazy IPA. It is possibly the best hazy I've had from TX in the past few years.

That being said, my personal preference leans west coast style, so my favorites out of the lot were the Green Battles and the Blue Tile IPA.

All were tasty beers and I'm happy to have tried them.
wessimo
AG
Glad you enjoyed them Steve!
txag2008
AG
Wanna try any DFW IPAs (Celestial, Turning Point, Community). I'd put Celestial up against any tx IPA brewer.

I'd be happy to work up a box trade.
Objective Aggie
AG
Texas Bomb.
steve00
AG
I'm in, but it might be a while before I can get some good stuff. Last time I went to Philly to pick up some Lawson's I got caught up in a retroactive two week quarantine. It will probably be 6 months before I can legally drive to VT or ME. PM me to work out details.

Also, I have maybe a dozen bomber sours in my fridge. Years of collecting good stuff, but I've decided I don't like the heartburn. I'd rather just drink IPAs. If anyone is interested PM me to keep the thread clean.
Bulldog73
AG
Can someone give me a reliable link or brief explanation comparing the different styles on IPAs? I haven't been wild about most "regular IPAs" I've had, but have liked the couple Hazies I've tried.
62strat
AG
Bulldog73 said:

Can someone give me a reliable link or brief explanation comparing the different styles on IPAs? I haven't been wild about most "regular IPAs" I've had, but have liked the couple Hazies I've tried.
that's about it. West and east coast. East coast is labeled 'hazy'... they are less bitter but lots of hop flavor, often fruity, also literally hazy.
West coast are higher bitterness, sometimes piny.. and clear.

You have English ipa styles; esb - extra special bitter. English ipas are less bitter than west coast counterparts, and lower alcohol.
big-ag
AG
You left off Canadian IPAs. They just suck.
Scriffer
AG
Don't forget Black IPAs. Almost no one makes them, but I've always loved them. Stone Sublimely Self Righteous was a favorite years ago.
Chipotlemonger
AG
There is some crossover though, I've had some hazy IPAs with more of a bitter profile (and I tend to freaking love them like this). Just like with regular IPA, with Hazy IPA there is a large range of possible styles in my opinion.

Knowing the brewery as well as the hops can help you to kind of guess what the resulting hazy IPA is going to be like.

Scriffer, speaking of black IPAs, a newer brewery in Oakland called Original Pattern just put one out recently. Because of a power-outage a few weeks ago, they lost a lot of this particular beer that they were in the middle of brewing (ironically named Fade to Black). They were able to transfer enough to get a few kegs worth so instead of their regular cans it is keg only. The style lives on!

CDub06
AG
Y'all forgot the briefly hyped Brut IPA.

And often barely recognizable, but other offshoots that I fancy: Sour IPAs and Milkshake IPAs.
SoTxAg
AG
Ha, tried several of the brut ipas when they hit, most tasted sub-prime. I think the best was the one done by Real Ale cuz it had flavor.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
The wife and I took the afternoon off and went out to Saint Arnold. This year's BBA French Press has some solid flavor. Cognac is good but seems a little lacking in the barrel department.

MW13
AG
Currently in Boston going to to Portland this weekend. Going to go pick some stuff at Trillium here in a bit. Fenway Beer Shop looks like it's got some great stuff too. Any other places I can't miss?

I can already tell I didn't leave enough room in my suitcase.
Objective Aggie
AG

wessimo
AG
Nice breakfast choice.
dave99ag
AG
MW13 said:

Currently in Boston going to to Portland this weekend. Going to go pick some stuff at Trillium here in a bit. Fenway Beer Shop looks like it's got some great stuff too. Any other places I can't miss?

I can already tell I didn't leave enough room in my suitcase.
Treehouse is worth the hour drive outside of Boston.
Objective Aggie
AG
wessimo said:

Nice breakfast choice.

It was from last night
jah003
S
Objective Aggie said:

wessimo said:

Nice breakfast choice.

It was from last night

It's 2020... you do you.
Bmac04
AG
BSD
AG
Nice. One of my favorite beers ever. What do those run on the secondary now?

Since I popped up on this thread (haven't had a beer since July?), I guess I'll ask: anyone going to try for the RRBC membership club?
jh0400
AG
I was going to text you to see if you were entering the lottery. I'm considering it, but without certainty on when I'd be able to travel I'm not sure how I'd be able to pick up the beers.
Bmac04
AG
Aroud 400 or so
First Page Last Page
Page 1576 of 1790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.